GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Online gaming. Pros & Cons"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/06/02 at 16:36
Regular
Online gaming the pros and cons.

Pros-

Never lonly

I think this is a very good point think of all those multyplayer games just sitting by the machines when your mates arent around. There is usally someone always online on any game on the big hits there is usally a couple of thousand, so finding and picking someone to play has never been so easy.

Good fun

Course its fun you've playing on a computer game, thats the point. But i must admit the first time i put tiberian sun in to my pc loaded it and played it online i was never seen for a week. Why you ask, well it had a ranking system and tournaments. Never before have i been able to play in a 5 hour tournament with over 300 people all at once. The only time you would be able to do that is if you were one of those people who go to those gaming comps.

Easy to use

Not only have the gaming industry brought us this amazing thing, but they have also made it so simple. It took me no more than 5 minutes to load and be playing someone on line at tiberain sun.

Choice

If you walk in to one of your loacl gaming shops and look at the games you will find that quite a few pc games have online capabilities. Some, well most you can also download extras. Soon you will be able to play on the consoles, like you were on the dreamcast.Cant wait for the day truly an amzing experience playing someone from yourliving room who could be halfway around the world.

Cons-

Money

This depends as some people have deals and some dont. If you have a deal for your internet this aint really much of a con as you can play as much as you want for a fixed amount of money a month. But if you pay by the minute your phone bill might suddenly rush up quite a bit, take it from me best to find deals(i payed £89 in just one month once!!). My parents were a little annoyed.

Connection

If you live in a place like me you will be pulling your hair out every two minutes, this is because i live quite far from my local exchange so the connection speed is really slow and i get disconnected about once every 10 mins. :( If you are playing a game this can be so annoying think of playing a game for just under an hour, youve beating one of the best people at the game online in the ranking system and then the internet disconects you. Belive me if you get paranoid very easly and quickly and you have a crap internt speed, then i would be very careful of online gaming as you might have to see a phycatrist from the stress.

Consle

The big three consoles are still to get there online gaming sorted, so could be a while, depends they have not said any dates yet(i think unless any of you know differnt). Some you will have to buy extras for, for example the ps2 you will need a modem and if you want a hard drive to, these will come to about £150 or more. Where as the xbox has these built in saving you money and hassle.

Overall online gaming is enjoyable, reasonable cheap(depends on your phone bill) and you will never get bored.
Tue 04/06/02 at 23:00
Regular
garbe123 wrote:
> With broadband internet I will then be able to download more songs
> which can then be customised onto a CD/RW and then uploaded onto my
> Xbox Hard Drive, with the job I will have I should be able to get a
> new Xbox game on a regular basis so the plan I have for my room will
> take a really nice shape.

Don't know if you were aware, but the xbox has some kind of protection which prevents any kind of copied disc being played through it. This is an anti-piracy measure to stop copied games, but also applies to music CD-Rs too.

Shame really.
Tue 04/06/02 at 22:53
Regular
I find that one of the biggest cons in online gaming is the error messgage given out when you tey and connect to the server. The only online games that I have tried to play are Half Life and Command and Conquer Red Alert 2. Half Life was dreadful online with my 28.6KB/s fax/modem and the game was always buffering just to keep up with the game. At 15 broadband is laso way out of my league as I am yet to get a part time job and at this current time there isn't a cable service for any of the leading companies which runs up my road. For this coming summer holidays I am getting myself a part time job down at the local garden centre, with the money earned from this I am going to kit myself out with a decent modem and an upgraded computer. I am looking to get 4 surround speaker for my 26" TV so my bedroom will be perfect for DVD and Xbox games.

With broadband internet I will then be able to download more songs which can then be customised onto a CD/RW and then uploaded onto my Xbox Hard Drive, with the job I will have I should be able to get a new Xbox game on a regular basis so the plan I have for my room will take a really nice shape.

The main reason I will be getting a Broadband connection will be to support the online functions of my Xbox. When Xbox live goes on air I would like to be part of all of Microsofts plans and up to date with the latest in gaming technology. One of the biggest appeals of Xbox live is the ability to download new levels and charcters onto the Hard Drive and then played back during the game. For games like Max Payne this function will come in very handy as developers can then add to what is already a great game.

I agree with what you say Fosbe about how fun online gaming is. Even with my slow connection for Half Life I still found it fun to move about the screen even if it was in about 155555 million stages per second, the fun part was taking down people from other countries without the worry of a war braking out! LOL, its quite sad really.

Online console gaming never really took off on the Dreamcast and apart from Phantasy Star 1+2 the console never really utilised the power of online console gaming. This is something Bill Gates with the Xbox can really take advantage of, with an 8GB Hard Drive and the ability to playback off the Hard Drive things will really take off well when Xbox live is launched.

With great functions already inlcuded in games today the ability for online downloads will just increase the amount of pleasure in which we get out of games today. All I have left to say is, ROLE ON ONLINE CONSOLE GAMING!
Tue 04/06/02 at 22:18
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I've been playing Halo again today. :-) Never seem to get bored with that game ! Played through the first 3 levels. My cousin and me tend to play the "Assault on the control room" level quite a lot cause it pretty much has everything - battelfields, vehicles, sneaking around, sniping, etc. ;-)
Tue 04/06/02 at 22:04
Regular
"ProGolfer"
savatt1668 wrote:
> I love playing games online - especially games that require team work.
> FPS games with something like 16 a side or RPG's such as Phantasy
> Star Online are always fun. :-)
>
> Really looking forward to X-Box Live. :-)
> Good post fosbe. ;-)

Cheers i intend to buy xbox(online gaming think of halo 2 oops just wet my pants) when i have £40 i need help. This is what i am getting- xbox- 195
halo- 35
= 230 amount i have 190. I am pulling my hair out. I need to play halo.
Tue 04/06/02 at 22:00
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I love playing games online - especially games that require team work. FPS games with something like 16 a side or RPG's such as Phantasy Star Online are always fun. :-)

Really looking forward to X-Box Live. :-)
Good post fosbe. ;-)
Tue 04/06/02 at 15:57
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Yeah i know what you mean, first time tiberan sun went online they had a huge difficulty to try and solve the problem.
Tue 04/06/02 at 15:54
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Probably the worst part of online play is the cheating, its not uncommon to go onto a red faction server and find someone using a flying hack.
Tue 04/06/02 at 15:50
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Some good points.
Tue 04/06/02 at 15:36
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Grix Thraves wrote:
> *pssst*
>
> FM, remember the Christmas Carol midis? Check the "I need your
> opinion" topic.

LOL! Bagpipes... *sigh*
Tue 04/06/02 at 15:35
Regular
*pssst*

FM, remember the Christmas Carol midis? Check the "I need your opinion" topic.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.