GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Online gaming. Pros & Cons"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/06/02 at 16:36
Regular
Online gaming the pros and cons.

Pros-

Never lonly

I think this is a very good point think of all those multyplayer games just sitting by the machines when your mates arent around. There is usally someone always online on any game on the big hits there is usally a couple of thousand, so finding and picking someone to play has never been so easy.

Good fun

Course its fun you've playing on a computer game, thats the point. But i must admit the first time i put tiberian sun in to my pc loaded it and played it online i was never seen for a week. Why you ask, well it had a ranking system and tournaments. Never before have i been able to play in a 5 hour tournament with over 300 people all at once. The only time you would be able to do that is if you were one of those people who go to those gaming comps.

Easy to use

Not only have the gaming industry brought us this amazing thing, but they have also made it so simple. It took me no more than 5 minutes to load and be playing someone on line at tiberain sun.

Choice

If you walk in to one of your loacl gaming shops and look at the games you will find that quite a few pc games have online capabilities. Some, well most you can also download extras. Soon you will be able to play on the consoles, like you were on the dreamcast.Cant wait for the day truly an amzing experience playing someone from yourliving room who could be halfway around the world.

Cons-

Money

This depends as some people have deals and some dont. If you have a deal for your internet this aint really much of a con as you can play as much as you want for a fixed amount of money a month. But if you pay by the minute your phone bill might suddenly rush up quite a bit, take it from me best to find deals(i payed £89 in just one month once!!). My parents were a little annoyed.

Connection

If you live in a place like me you will be pulling your hair out every two minutes, this is because i live quite far from my local exchange so the connection speed is really slow and i get disconnected about once every 10 mins. :( If you are playing a game this can be so annoying think of playing a game for just under an hour, youve beating one of the best people at the game online in the ranking system and then the internet disconects you. Belive me if you get paranoid very easly and quickly and you have a crap internt speed, then i would be very careful of online gaming as you might have to see a phycatrist from the stress.

Consle

The big three consoles are still to get there online gaming sorted, so could be a while, depends they have not said any dates yet(i think unless any of you know differnt). Some you will have to buy extras for, for example the ps2 you will need a modem and if you want a hard drive to, these will come to about £150 or more. Where as the xbox has these built in saving you money and hassle.

Overall online gaming is enjoyable, reasonable cheap(depends on your phone bill) and you will never get bored.
Mon 03/06/02 at 16:36
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Online gaming the pros and cons.

Pros-

Never lonly

I think this is a very good point think of all those multyplayer games just sitting by the machines when your mates arent around. There is usally someone always online on any game on the big hits there is usally a couple of thousand, so finding and picking someone to play has never been so easy.

Good fun

Course its fun you've playing on a computer game, thats the point. But i must admit the first time i put tiberian sun in to my pc loaded it and played it online i was never seen for a week. Why you ask, well it had a ranking system and tournaments. Never before have i been able to play in a 5 hour tournament with over 300 people all at once. The only time you would be able to do that is if you were one of those people who go to those gaming comps.

Easy to use

Not only have the gaming industry brought us this amazing thing, but they have also made it so simple. It took me no more than 5 minutes to load and be playing someone on line at tiberain sun.

Choice

If you walk in to one of your loacl gaming shops and look at the games you will find that quite a few pc games have online capabilities. Some, well most you can also download extras. Soon you will be able to play on the consoles, like you were on the dreamcast.Cant wait for the day truly an amzing experience playing someone from yourliving room who could be halfway around the world.

Cons-

Money

This depends as some people have deals and some dont. If you have a deal for your internet this aint really much of a con as you can play as much as you want for a fixed amount of money a month. But if you pay by the minute your phone bill might suddenly rush up quite a bit, take it from me best to find deals(i payed £89 in just one month once!!). My parents were a little annoyed.

Connection

If you live in a place like me you will be pulling your hair out every two minutes, this is because i live quite far from my local exchange so the connection speed is really slow and i get disconnected about once every 10 mins. :( If you are playing a game this can be so annoying think of playing a game for just under an hour, youve beating one of the best people at the game online in the ranking system and then the internet disconects you. Belive me if you get paranoid very easly and quickly and you have a crap internt speed, then i would be very careful of online gaming as you might have to see a phycatrist from the stress.

Consle

The big three consoles are still to get there online gaming sorted, so could be a while, depends they have not said any dates yet(i think unless any of you know differnt). Some you will have to buy extras for, for example the ps2 you will need a modem and if you want a hard drive to, these will come to about £150 or more. Where as the xbox has these built in saving you money and hassle.

Overall online gaming is enjoyable, reasonable cheap(depends on your phone bill) and you will never get bored.
Mon 03/06/02 at 17:04
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Can i have a little feedback. (mailnly from stryke)
Mon 03/06/02 at 18:23
I wouldn't expect a reply from him. Anyway, nice topic. I play online games every day, and I'm really good at Counterstrike, especially. I'm on 56k, but it's a good line, and I pay a fixed charge of £14.99 per month with Freeserve, the only downer being that it disconnects you every two hours.

Something broadband this way comes soom for me, methinks ;D
Mon 03/06/02 at 18:41
Regular
"always swirling"
pop!

right i posted here, wheres my fiver?
Mon 03/06/02 at 18:43
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Linx wrote:
> pop!
>
> right i posted here, wheres my fiver?

just here ------------------------------------- fiver

P.S What are you talking about?
Mon 03/06/02 at 18:45
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Online gaming is cool. I really like playing red alert 2 and yuris revenge, and they are quite fast even on 56k. Although i dont know how you can play tiberian sun, its totally crap. If there is a reconnection error the human opponent is replaced with a computer, thats just stupid.
Mon 03/06/02 at 18:46
Regular
"always swirling"
you asked me to post here
(and i need the money for my coke habit..... 4 cans in the last hour)

i luv sugar!
Mon 03/06/02 at 18:47
Regular
"ProGolfer"
cookie monster wrote:
> Online gaming is cool. I really like playing red alert 2 and yuris
> revenge, and they are quite fast even on 56k. Although i dont know how
> you can play tiberian sun, its totally crap. If there is a
> reconnection error the human opponent is replaced with a computer,
> thats just stupid.

What on red alert 2? There aint one on tiberian sun unless there is a patch.
Mon 03/06/02 at 18:48
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Linx wrote:
> you asked me to post here
> (and i need the money for my coke habit..... 4 cans in the last
> hour)
>
> i luv sugar!

Did you see the sarcasm when i was speaking?
Mon 03/06/02 at 18:49
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
fosbe wrote:
> cookie monster wrote:
> Online gaming is cool. I really like playing red alert 2 and yuris
> revenge, and they are quite fast even on 56k. Although i dont know
> how
> you can play tiberian sun, its totally crap. If there is a
> reconnection error the human opponent is replaced with a computer,
> thats just stupid.
>
> What on red alert 2? There aint one on tiberian sun unless there is a
> patch.

The reconnection error thing happens on tiberian sun, have you never noticed?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.