GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"After Today's Effort, Am I The Only One Who Would Drop Owen ??"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/06/02 at 21:59
Regular
Well, Owen had an absolute shocker today. Why did Sven take off Vassell who was just about our best player. We can't affort to play people just bacause of what there name is. So what, he's Michael Owen, he plays badly, he should get dropped just like any other player.

Anyway, this is what i'd play against Argentina:

Seaman

Mills Campbell Rio A Cole

Beckham Hargreaves J Cole

Scholes

Vassell Fowler

I'd bring Sheringham on for Fowler with about 20 mins left to play the free role linking Midfield and Up Front.
Sun 02/06/02 at 21:59
Regular
"My Posts Make Sense"
Well, Owen had an absolute shocker today. Why did Sven take off Vassell who was just about our best player. We can't affort to play people just bacause of what there name is. So what, he's Michael Owen, he plays badly, he should get dropped just like any other player.

Anyway, this is what i'd play against Argentina:

Seaman

Mills Campbell Rio A Cole

Beckham Hargreaves J Cole

Scholes

Vassell Fowler

I'd bring Sheringham on for Fowler with about 20 mins left to play the free role linking Midfield and Up Front.
Sun 02/06/02 at 22:08
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
After Today's Effort, Am I The Only One Who Would Drop Owen ??

Yes, Yes you are!
Sun 02/06/02 at 22:12
Regular
"Bobba you"
Are you mad boy!?
Sun 02/06/02 at 22:12
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
Seriously, I would have a 4-3-3 with Owen, Fowler and Vassell upfront, beckham, Scholes and Butt in midfield and Ferdinand, Campbell, Cole and Hargreaves at the back.
Sun 02/06/02 at 22:19
Regular
"My Posts Make Sense"
I'm not mad, but Owen had an absolute shocking match. He did nothing all game.
If it had been someone like Heskey who had a shocker (Which he didn't for once) you'd all be crying for him to be dropped.
I sense double standards. As i said, you can't play him just because he's Michael Owen
Sun 02/06/02 at 23:18
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
Obviously, if you were to decide your next games line-up judging from their last performance, then es, Owen would be dropped straightaway.
But you're looking at it through rose-tinted shades; yes, Owen is obviously the scape-goat for our draw, and things would OBVIOUSLY be better in the next game if he was dropped (
Sun 02/06/02 at 23:23
Regular
"My Posts Make Sense"
Owen is a very good player, but my point all along is you can't play him because of his name. If it had been someone like Heskey who had had a bad match, you'd all be screaming for him to be dropped. Granted, it may have been a one off and of course Eriksson won't drop him, but i still think he should have been pulled off instead of Vassell. Vassell was our best player for the 70 odd minutes he was on, but Sven takes him off. But still, no matter how many poor games he has, i don't see Sven dropping Owen
Sun 02/06/02 at 23:25
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
You mean that Sven is basing his selection on Owen's reputation and the fact that he is on his way to becoming englands leading goalscorer of all time.
Sun 02/06/02 at 23:29
Regular
"My Posts Make Sense"
John Arne Riise wrote:
> You mean that Sven is basing his selection on Owen's reputation and
> the fact that he is on his way to becoming englands leading goalscorer
> of all time.

He may well be the top English scorer when its all said and done, but yes, my point is he's picking on reputation, not performance and that is wrong. They should be picked on there performances on the pitch, not there reputation.
Sun 02/06/02 at 23:32
Regular
"360: swfcman"
The fact is the whole team had a bad game. After our goal we no longer played any real football, it was all long balls and booting it up the pitch hoping that someone would latch onto it, maybe if we had heskey up there too that would work, the fact is Vassel and Owen arent those types of players, they need the ball to feet, thats when they are effective. The only real reason vassel did anything good was because he came way into midfield and on the wings to get the ball, often leaving owen up front on his own. Now when that happens, when your on your own and your not getting the service then of course you are not going to do well at all, you have nothing to play on. Yes, Owen could have done the same and drop deeper into midfield to see more of the ball, but then no one would be up front.

Owen was denied the service, therefor could do little in the game. We played bad, we all know that. We cant blame it on the strikers not performing as there was little they could do...and if that silly mistake had not had happened, who knows, we might be sitting here now saying how well we lasted and kept the 3 points.

Basicly though, Owen would start everytime for me, hes the type of player who can change everything in minutes, just think back to the FA cup final the season before.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.