GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Life with an Xbox"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/06/02 at 15:28
Regular
It is the night of the purchase, all is dark and gloomy, my PS2 is packed up with its 8 games and peripherals and loaded into the car, I take one last look at the box and games before telling my dad to drive, just drive towards the sun set! I knew the decision that I was making was for the best, I had some good times with the PS2 but the end is the end and the future was waiting with open arms, the future of gaming was there for the taking on a plate and I was one very hungry lad, hungry for the best! I took the console home and opened the box, a beaming light shone down on me and all the days of waiting were paying off, I beheld the greatest console on earth in my hands and I knew that I would never look back. The console spoke to me in a very godly voice, " You have made the right choice son, just think of all the great games you can play on me, just set me up and I will play what only your dreams were previously made of, welcome child, welcome to the 22nd century of gaming! " As you could imagine, I was speechless. I knew the console was good but it can TALK!

The next day I woke up, the time was 7:10 am and I prepared for another gruelling day at school, the 7 hours 20 minutes that I would have to wait would be the slowest hours of my life. With no games to play on my Xbox there was no use in faking an illness, time off was not the option it was something to be saved for the future. By going to school I could pick up Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee and Max Payne which I could then play on once I was released on bail at 3:30pm! Life as I knew it would be different from now on, better in every sense and I just couldn't wait to start my breath taking journey through the world of Microsoft, things could only get better. The bell went for the end of school, I ran out and down to the bus sop trying to keep hold of my anxiety, but I could not hold it in any longer, I leapt into the air with joy I would now have 2 and a half days of pure gaming bliss and I wanted to start there and then! I kicked down the house door and ran up the stairs knocking my dad off the ladders and my mom off the vac! I brushed the debris of the neighbour’s walls off my hands and picked up the gaming pad, turned the console on and inserted my rented copy of Max Payne! After this I was not seen for 2 days, I sat in my bedroom leaping around the next corner and helping Mudokons escape, life had changed and I couldn't believe the true power that the Xbox held.

Whilst taking a well deserved break I visited the Xbox website to submit my form to claim my promised games and extra controller. My hand shook as I highlighted Halo and RalliSport Challenge on the application form; I entered yyyyyyyyeeeeeeesssssss pppppllleeeaasssee whilst wiping the drool which was dripping all over my hands and keyboard. I sent the application form off and got back to playing on my borrowed possessions! After completing both of the games in 5 days I was hungry for more, my games would not arrive from Microsoft for a long time coming and I knew that the money box had just recently been raided and this is where Special Reserve came in very handy indeed. I submitted review after review just hoping that my name would come up on the list for GAD, my wish came true and on the 6th May 2002 I had won myself a brand new copy of Max Payne, a game which I longed to own, my dreams were all coming true, life couldn't get any better, life was amazing!

For the rest of my family the Xbox was a 'no go area', I dusted, cleaned, wiped and decontaminated my console so that nothing would or could harm it in anyway! If someone had asked me what life outside the bedroom was like I would not be able to find an answer to the question, I was transfixed for 2 whole weeks only leaving the house to go to school and even then it was hard to hang onto the door hinges as my mom and dad tried to pull me out to the car. The Xbox had taken me under its wing and was beginning to look after me, the part of my brain which craved food and water had just lost the election for control, the new government of my head was making changes and altering my priorities. The pleasure sensors of my brain were over taking my will to live; every time I pressed another button on the controller the sensors were activated. My body was over taken by a very powerful government which promised to give me the best and so far they have definitely delivered!

To this date my Xbox sits proud under my 26" TV, it is cleaned on a regular basis and cared for almost every minute of the day. Ever since purchasing the Xbox my life has changed dramatically, everything other than looking and playing with the console seems boring, nothing can match the true feeling that it delivers. Do not deny yourself this feeling of greatness, improve your life and the way you live it. Vote for Xbox... oops, I mean buy a Microsoft Xbox today and start to live a better life! Things will never be the same AGAIN!
Tue 11/06/02 at 15:36
No problem mate I am bored and I wrote about the xbox in my english exam yesterday for GCSE :)
Tue 11/06/02 at 00:11
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
A combination of things leads to me not getting votes. ;-)) Ninty fanboys hate me, I don't do enough spam topics in FOG chat to be noticed and I don't have any current Notable's support. So my votes really come from this forum where most of my stuff is posted. ;-)

Thanks again to those that voted for me last time by the way. :-) I really appreciate it. :-)
Mon 10/06/02 at 23:26
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Why's that guy not a notable?

:)
Mon 10/06/02 at 23:10
well said mate
Mon 10/06/02 at 22:48
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Thing is when it comes to the X-Box, its a bloody good console and when you look into everything Microsoft have planned for it, you realise how great the console is and how much potential it has.

A lot of people take this fanboy attitude and slate the X-Box with anything they can think of. They have no interest in finding out anything about the console - as far as they're concerned, X-Box is crap because its made by Microsoft and Microsoft is the big bad wolf that has the cash to be a big contender in the videogames market.

Look beyond this blind hatred though and it really opens your eyes to what Microsoft are trying to offer gamers with their machine. As far as games go, they're starting off by releasing games that appeal to their main audience, but eventually, they want to have a library of games available for everyone, wether its GTA, sports titles, blood and guts style games or cartoony platformers like Mario, etc.
When you look at the release schedule and the titles they are getting, you can see that they are trying to get every top game they can onto the X-Box, thats why your seeing the likes of the best FPS games around, Sega's excellent titles, the EA sports titles - all the popular games that gamers love to play.

But its not just about grabbing all the games they can, they also want to bring gaming forward and thats where X-Box Live comes in. In my opinion, online gaming is the future, if done properly, it can very big. I mean, we all love the single player games and having multiplayer games with friends, but you can see that Microsoft are trying to build on this experience. They have introduced networking to consoles. Instead of linking up just two machines like the Playstation, the X-Box has the capability to link up 4 machines or more to allow even more players to join in for a multiplayer on games like Halo.
Afterall, most of us have enjoyed playing games like Rare's Goldeneye on the N64, but imagine playing that game with 16 players at once or more - there just really isn't any comparison, more players = more fun.

Of course not everyone has access to such a setup or maybe you want to play against or with other people from all over the world. This is where X-Box Live has the potential to be a really big thing for console gaming. The headset means that theres no more need to type messages on a keyboard while someone gets a cheap kill on you. You get to meet new people from all over the world and with games like Phantasy Star Online, you can all help eachother to progress whether its killing a hard boss together or giving eachother items and weapons. Its not just about trying to beat the best, its like the internet chat rooms when they started, its like a whole new social experience as it were, but the great bit about this is your playing games as you do it.

Most of us have played the likes of an FPS game in teams where you need to communicate with your team mates, now instead of having to type, you can simply keep in contact the whole time through the headset. Wanna sound different ? You can even change the sound of your voice so you sound more like the character your controlling. Not everyone has broadband of course, but at the same time, something like this just can't be done on the likes of a 56K modem, not without lag really ruining the experience.
Broadband is also something thats becoming more common as time goes by now too though, so gradually, less and less people will be missing out on the chance to experience a great time in gaming.

X-Box Live will bring gamers together from many different countries and give access to the best console multiplayer games experience around. And while this is going on, Microsoft will be bringing X-Box owners the best titles they can get and with the money the company has, there really isn't a lot they can't bring to the console. With Rumours of Rare going multiformat imagine the line up of games that will be available on the X-Box over the next couple of years. As far as I can see, X-Box owners are in for something special and its not far from starting. :-)
Mon 10/06/02 at 21:52
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Gar-J wrote:
> Since when does a console being slightly heavier than the others mean
> it's not portable? All you're going to do is move it somewhere then
> put it down to play it anyway. Or am I wrong? Do you hang the Gamecube
> on your eye-lashes cos it's so light and portable? If so I can see
> your point about the Xbox, though if you put the Gamecube under your
> TV (as I suspect is true) then your point is just a waste of space.

If you're going to be picky, maybe that should have been "not as portable*

But it is clearly not very portable, as it has delacate parts in there, such as the HDD. If they had intended for it to be portable, they would have put more time and effort into the size of it, like PSone and GC.

What would you rather carry around? 10kg or 1kg? (EXAMPLE!)
Mon 10/06/02 at 21:24
Enjoy ur xbox MOH Fan
Mon 10/06/02 at 21:19
Regular
Oh, how I was once like you Moh-Fan but I sold my PS2 and 8 games for my Xbox. Before this I would call the PS2 the best console around and all this rubbish but I was oh so wrong! The Xbox is an amazing piece of equipment that is quarenteed to give you the up most in gaming pleasure. Selling my PS2 for an Xbox was the best descion I have ever made, I advise you to do the same thing.
Mon 10/06/02 at 20:58
Regular
cheers savatt blimey i deffently have to get one now i can't wait my own
x-box lol cool then i can join in with your xbox disscusions until then i'll keep quiet lol :)
Mon 10/06/02 at 20:54
Oh the irony Nintys crying cos nintendo aint making consoles OH how the laughed at segatrons when sega stopped

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.