GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"england grab a very late draw"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 26/05/02 at 10:46
Regular
Robbie Fowler grabbed a last-gasp equaliser as England completed their World Cup warm-up programme with a battling 2-2 draw against Cameroon in Kobe.

Cameroon looked set to defeat England when Geremi fired home a 57th minute free-kick.

But, after Trevor Sinclair had produced a stunning stop from Alioum with a near post header, Fowler salvaged the situation by nodding home from six yards after he had been set up by Teddy Sheringham.

Darius Vassell - one of few bright sparks in a generally dull encounter - was on target after 11 minutes to level Samuel Eto'o's early strike.

With injuries ravaging his plans, Sven-Goran Eriksson made three changes, with Joe Cole starting on the left before switching to a central position after the interval. Wes Brown was given a chance to press his claims for a right-back spot, while Wayne Bridge profited from Ashley Cole's minor knee ligament strain.

Cameroon opened the English defence inside five minutes.

Brown was caught marginally out of position as Patrick Mboma floated a crossfield pass to the Cameroon left. Pierre Wome used the extra space to fire a cross-shot over Nigel Martyn.

The Leeds keeper was static as the ball looped over his head and cannoned off the far post straight into the path of unmarked Eto'o who stroked home the rebound from six yards.

Apart from the physical threat of Emile Heskey, England were out of the game, so it came as something of a surprise when they drew level.

Paul Scholes was on hand to gather up the loose ball when skipper Michael Owen lost possession 30 yards out. The Manchester United man casually stroked a pass to Vassell in space and he transferred to his right foot and steered confidently into the corner from 15 yards.

Owen was then denied by a surprise offside flag after Cameroon keeper Boukar Alioum had dropped a Heskey flick-on at the feet of the England's most lethal finisher.

Eriksson's side seemed to have been drawn into a more open contest than they might have wished and after Rio Ferdinand had needlessly given away a corner, Rigobert Song was marginally wide with a difficult near post heading opportunity.

Thankfully, the kind of erratic tackling Cameroon had produced during the African Nations Cup was not in evidence - until Song caught Vassell on the ear with one elaborate swipe for the ball.

Gareth Southgate had taken over as captain as Eriksson made six changes at the break. But it was the Middlesbrough defender's handball as he tried to prevent Mboma charging through which gave Cameroon the free-kick from which they took the lead a second time.

New keeper David James crouched behind a five-man wall but appeared to be late getting across to Geremi's near-perfect strike which cannoned off the right hand post.

Cameroon were starting to get a grip on the game and Mboma almost sneaked onto Eric Djemba's pass before the Sunderland man unleashed a shot on the Africans' next attack which forced James into a low save.

After collecting enough Air Miles to fund a space voyage, Sinclair rose high again, this time in a more conventional manner to meet Owen Hargreaves' corner with a near post flick which brought a superb stop from Alioum.

England continued to press to the last and just when the game looked over, grabbed the leveller when Fowler pounced onto Sheringham's looping header.

in my opnnion england should of one, supose its because of all the injurys england are suffering at the moment
Sun 26/05/02 at 19:00
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
This hopefully means that he intends to play Wes Brown at right-back and not Danny Mills.

I missed the match as I was watching Black Hawk Down on the plane heading to Gatwick. I missed the replay as I had a football match, d'oh.
Mon 27/05/02 at 01:39
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
you didnt miss out on much, believe me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.