GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"england grab a very late draw"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 26/05/02 at 10:46
Regular
Robbie Fowler grabbed a last-gasp equaliser as England completed their World Cup warm-up programme with a battling 2-2 draw against Cameroon in Kobe.

Cameroon looked set to defeat England when Geremi fired home a 57th minute free-kick.

But, after Trevor Sinclair had produced a stunning stop from Alioum with a near post header, Fowler salvaged the situation by nodding home from six yards after he had been set up by Teddy Sheringham.

Darius Vassell - one of few bright sparks in a generally dull encounter - was on target after 11 minutes to level Samuel Eto'o's early strike.

With injuries ravaging his plans, Sven-Goran Eriksson made three changes, with Joe Cole starting on the left before switching to a central position after the interval. Wes Brown was given a chance to press his claims for a right-back spot, while Wayne Bridge profited from Ashley Cole's minor knee ligament strain.

Cameroon opened the English defence inside five minutes.

Brown was caught marginally out of position as Patrick Mboma floated a crossfield pass to the Cameroon left. Pierre Wome used the extra space to fire a cross-shot over Nigel Martyn.

The Leeds keeper was static as the ball looped over his head and cannoned off the far post straight into the path of unmarked Eto'o who stroked home the rebound from six yards.

Apart from the physical threat of Emile Heskey, England were out of the game, so it came as something of a surprise when they drew level.

Paul Scholes was on hand to gather up the loose ball when skipper Michael Owen lost possession 30 yards out. The Manchester United man casually stroked a pass to Vassell in space and he transferred to his right foot and steered confidently into the corner from 15 yards.

Owen was then denied by a surprise offside flag after Cameroon keeper Boukar Alioum had dropped a Heskey flick-on at the feet of the England's most lethal finisher.

Eriksson's side seemed to have been drawn into a more open contest than they might have wished and after Rio Ferdinand had needlessly given away a corner, Rigobert Song was marginally wide with a difficult near post heading opportunity.

Thankfully, the kind of erratic tackling Cameroon had produced during the African Nations Cup was not in evidence - until Song caught Vassell on the ear with one elaborate swipe for the ball.

Gareth Southgate had taken over as captain as Eriksson made six changes at the break. But it was the Middlesbrough defender's handball as he tried to prevent Mboma charging through which gave Cameroon the free-kick from which they took the lead a second time.

New keeper David James crouched behind a five-man wall but appeared to be late getting across to Geremi's near-perfect strike which cannoned off the right hand post.

Cameroon were starting to get a grip on the game and Mboma almost sneaked onto Eric Djemba's pass before the Sunderland man unleashed a shot on the Africans' next attack which forced James into a low save.

After collecting enough Air Miles to fund a space voyage, Sinclair rose high again, this time in a more conventional manner to meet Owen Hargreaves' corner with a near post flick which brought a superb stop from Alioum.

England continued to press to the last and just when the game looked over, grabbed the leveller when Fowler pounced onto Sheringham's looping header.

in my opnnion england should of one, supose its because of all the injurys england are suffering at the moment
Mon 27/05/02 at 01:39
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
you didnt miss out on much, believe me.
Sun 26/05/02 at 19:00
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
This hopefully means that he intends to play Wes Brown at right-back and not Danny Mills.

I missed the match as I was watching Black Hawk Down on the plane heading to Gatwick. I missed the replay as I had a football match, d'oh.
Sun 26/05/02 at 18:50
Regular
"smile, it's free"
football god's post was liftwed from Sportal I believe (www.sportal.co.uk), for those of you interested.

I was nearly up to watch the match. I woke up at 6:30, intending to go downstairs and watch it. Then I decided just to lie in for the first half... and then I decided not to watch it at all. Just as well, judging by the performance reports I've read. I really don't rate our chances this world cup. Escpecially if Beckham is out for the first two games, amongst our other injuries...
Sun 26/05/02 at 14:18
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Okay, I DID watch the match. Here is my opinion of each player:

Martyn: No chance with the goal, struck from about 8 yards out. Their left wing-back got the ball, tried to clip a ball to the back post, mis-hit it, it hit the far post and just rebounded to the striker. Martyn didn't really have anything else to do. 6/10

Wes Brown: Played ok. Might have been slightly out of position for the first goal, but generally played much better than against S. Korea. Still not convincing going forward, but very assured at the back. 6/10

Rio Ferdinand: Played well. Good composure and distribution with the ball, along with a couple of timely blocks and one crunching tackle. 6/10

Sol Campbell: Steady, if not amazing performance. Left most of the passing to Rio. Nothing amazing, nothing bad. 6/10

Wayne Bridge: Didn't take his chance to steal Cole's left-back slot. Made a number of mistakes going for challenges, leaving the centre-backs exposed, while didn't really make his mark going forward. 5/10

Joe Cole: He's learning quickly! Much more mature performance from Joe today. Didn't try to take on his opponents every time he got the ball, but still managed to assert some influence on the proceedings. Kept possession well, and showed great vision with one pass to Brown. 7/10

Owen Hargreaves: Nicky Butt must be getting worried. This guy keeps on impressing me. He is sooo fast for a central midfielder, and his stamina is amazing. Still goes for the challenge sometimes when it is unnecessary, but overall a very assured performance. 7/10

Paul Scholes: Showed why he shouldn't be forgotten as one of Englands true World-Class performers. I don't think he misplaced a pass in the 45 mins he played, and set up Vassell with a perfect pass, splitting the centre-backs. Sat back a bit too much for my liking, but that may be because of the inexperience of his midfield partners. 8/10

Emile Heskey: Never really got into the game on the left wing. Although the way Owen and Vassell are going, he ain't gonna budge either of them out of the front line! Looks almost lethargic at the moment. A couple of good touches, and never did anything wrong, just doesn't look like the England player who made his debut against Argentina. 6/10

Michael Owen: Looked to be playing within himself, as if Sven had said, "just don't get injured!". Some nice movement, and had a goal disallowed, rightly, for offside. Linked well with Vassell, and was unlucky not to get on the end of a Scholes cross, with Song covering well. 6/10

Darius Vassell: Another energy filled performance. Took his goal well, but never really did much after that. Made some good runs and linked well with Owen. 7/10 (would have been 6 but for the goal)

The Subs
-----------------------------------------

David James: Possibly slow to react to the free-kick, flapped at a couple of crosses, but made one very good save. 5/10

Danny Mills: Played right-wing, replacing Scholes as Cole moved into the middle. Got forward well, and tracked back to help Brown. One good run and shot, although he should have done much better with one cross. 6.5/10

Martin Keown: Solid, but his distribution was lacking, and England suffered because of it - too many aimless balls up field. 5/10

Gareth Southgate: Gave away the freekick that led to the second goal, although it was an unfortunate handball. Better distribution than Keown, and looked more assured. Expect him to be the main reserve centre-back. 6/10

Trevor Sinclair: Looked like a man who had had the burden of trying to force his way into the squad lifted from his shoulders. Even though he should be knackered after the flight, he was full of running. A couple of good link-ups with team-mates, and a great headed effort. A million times better than against Korea. 7/10

Teddy Sheringham: Linked-up with the midfield better than against the Koreans, his passing was a huge improvement. Had one chance - header, which he glanced wide and should have done better, but did brilliantly setting up Fowler for the equaliser. 6/10

Robbie Fowler: Had two chances: the first after Sheringham missed his chance, Fowler was at the far post and didn't seem to make much effort to make contact, (Although has he just been out with a groin strain? that would explain it). Took his goal well though, looping his header purposefully over the on-rushing keeper.

----------------------------------------

Overall:

I thought we played quite well. We kept the ball well, especially in the lead up to Vassell's goal. Distribution from the back is a problem when Rio goes off, but I don't expect him to be subbed too many times in the competitive games. J. Cole and Hargreaves look more than capable of playing against the top teams. If Vassell and Owen keep scoring then we DO have a chance of getting out of that group and getting Becks, Butt and Dyer back and fit.

P.S. Sorry about the length of the post!
Sun 26/05/02 at 13:40
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
I was in Florida so I missed both the matches but they sound like they were poor performances.

Heskey should play left, Fowler up front and Brown at right-back!
Sun 26/05/02 at 12:51
Regular
i don't understand he werent wanting to win......
Sun 26/05/02 at 12:18
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
You could at least have posted the site that you took that description of the match from...
Sun 26/05/02 at 11:33
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
I also missed the match, I knew what time it was but refused to get up at that time hence I have to revise for exams in the morning..

what team did sven put out for this game?
Sun 26/05/02 at 11:22
Regular
"Long time no see!"
You're back!! :O

I didn't see the match as I didn't get up 'till after 9.
I had intended too though, but I didn't realise it was on quite THAT early!

Seems like we played quite porrly again though, but it's good to see we got 2 goals with a mix-matched team against one of the best African sides around!

There's still hope for the summer, and I reckon Heskey should play down the left-wing with Joe Cole to takeover.
Sun 26/05/02 at 10:54
Regular
"football fanatic"
liquid go in ps1 and ps2 longest thread

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.