GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft's Market Research Screwed up."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 25/05/02 at 22:54
Regular
I gave it a fair try.
I played it for hours.
I wanted to like it, to enjoy it properly, but I couldn't.

As great as Halo is, I CAN NOT TURN WITH MY RIGHT THUMB.

It goes against all my instincts.

It's a real pity too because, otherwise, Halo was fantastic - the graphics, the sound, the background, the level design (a little repetitive but that wasn't really a problem), the enemies were well done, the shielding system is genius, the controls are great except for one way:

The analogue sticks are the wrong way round.

I know where they went wrong.
Bungie designed the game for the PC/Mac with the keyboard/mouse set up.
They used keys with the left hand (forwards/backwards/strafing) and looking with the right (mouse), so it's natural that they simply lifted that onto a pad, but didn't they do ANY market research?

Take the N64.

First console to manage a decent FPS in the form of Turok.
LEFT on the analogue stick to look and aim.
RIGHT thumb handles the strafing.
Almost every console FPS that followed stuck with this style.

Even though Goldeneye came up with a different system, turning left/right was still handled with the LEFT THUMB.

Maybe they weren't aiming for N64 players.
But even then, the Dreamcast used the same set up for the likes of Quake 3.
I'm not sure what PSOne/PS2 FPS games have been using with the dual analogue sticks but I'd not heard of any differences before.

The worst of it is is that it would've been so easy for MS/Bungie to include one small option that swaps round the analogue sticks.

But they didn't, and now the game is unplayable in my hands.

It's worse than being an FPS newbie - atleast they are still learning.
Trying to adapt to this new system worked against all my previous skills and instincts and I just ended up with a head ache.

Pity really, the game is almost perfect otherwise...

Another thing is that apparently, Turok Evolution on the GC also had it's analogue sticks the "wrong" way round (I could relate to all of the reviewer's (www.planetgamecube.com) troubles) although atleast an alternative is planned.

When someone first told me they couldn't play Halo because the analogue sticks were the wrong way round, I thought that they were making a whole load of fuss over nothing.

But years of training and gaming has moulded my instincts.
My left thumb is to turn with.
Hopefully MS has listened to the feedback on this account.
Thu 30/05/02 at 21:33
Regular
Super! So MS aren't such a bunch of screw ups after all!

Now when my friends tell me that my Nintendo Gamecube is for 5 year old kids, I can show them how well a "five year old kid" (guess I might well be at heart) can whupp them at their own favourite "adult" game.

So most of you have adapted to turning with your right thumb?

I admire your adaptability.

As for me, after 3 years with the left thumb, the skill and neccessary precision has been mapped onto my instincts.
Still, so long as FPS games give me the option to choose how I play, I've got nothing to worry about.

Thanks everyone.
Wed 29/05/02 at 20:23
Regular
Hi, me the experiment man here. Read the post about 'xbox has no decent...'
U can change the controls, not sure y u wud want to but u do so ill tell u:
First u have to make a player, then save him and go back to the main screen. Then u go to settings, select your character and finally select controller setup. Go either left or right and you can change the controller setup, including switching which looks and which moves, but u can also change the trigger buttons, making them melee or jump, i cant remember all the things.
Hope it helps.
Wed 29/05/02 at 18:59
Regular
"Hmmm....."
I personally like the control system. Takes a day to get used to, but then anything else you play with you'll set up the same. That's what I done with Medal Of Honour on PSone, I just couldn't play it without that fantastic control system. Well done Bungie! I also played Goldeneye, and I could still play with the N64's default controls. I guess I'm good at adapting.
Wed 29/05/02 at 14:59
Regular
No.
As far as I know the analogue control can't be changed.
But it's the same with PS2 shooters like Half Life and Agent Under Fire - this is way FPS control is going to be from now on.
I presume Turok 4 and Metroid will be the same.
Wed 29/05/02 at 14:19
Regular
So, the question still stands.

CAN you change Halo's controls.
Tue 28/05/02 at 14:41
Regular
Yeah well, I just can NOT turn with my right thumb no matter how hard I try to adapt.

Surely it wouldn't have hurt Microsoft that much to put in a little option so that Looking is controlled by Analogue Stick B instead of A, and moving controlled analogue Stick B instead of A.

Unless they DID do that.

In which case, WHERE IS THAT GODDAMN OPTION???
Tue 28/05/02 at 14:36
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
Strafex wrote:
> Yeah, but then when you try to go back to Perfect Dark/Goldeneye,
> Turok or any other game that has you turning with the left thumb,
> you're completely screwed again!
>

I certainly didn't find that - once I'd got the hang of both - it took 4 or 5 minutes to adjust to one after playing the other.
Tue 28/05/02 at 14:29
Regular
No, I think I can manage a controller's analogue stick even better than a mouse (each to their own I suppose) so long AS I CAN LOOK WITH THE LEFT THUMB!

Come on Venom, you said Halo's controls can be changed.

HOW THEN???
Mon 27/05/02 at 14:01
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
The basic problem is that nothing a controller can do will ever beat the keyboard/mouse combo that PCs can use for FPS. There's always got to be a compromise and you can just cross your fingers that you'll be given as many different controller set ups to choose from as possible, so there's a chance there is one you'll like.

Anyway, I'm off out to pick up an Xbox and Halo in about five minutes so I'll see for myself soon!
Mon 27/05/02 at 12:39
Regular
Yeah, but then when you try to go back to Perfect Dark/Goldeneye, Turok or any other game that has you turning with the left thumb, you're completely screwed again!

Why didn't MS just include an option to let you choose which analogue stick does what. It would've taken them 5 seconds!

Venom seems to think that they did, but if they did, where is it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.