GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft's Market Research Screwed up."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 25/05/02 at 22:54
Regular
I gave it a fair try.
I played it for hours.
I wanted to like it, to enjoy it properly, but I couldn't.

As great as Halo is, I CAN NOT TURN WITH MY RIGHT THUMB.

It goes against all my instincts.

It's a real pity too because, otherwise, Halo was fantastic - the graphics, the sound, the background, the level design (a little repetitive but that wasn't really a problem), the enemies were well done, the shielding system is genius, the controls are great except for one way:

The analogue sticks are the wrong way round.

I know where they went wrong.
Bungie designed the game for the PC/Mac with the keyboard/mouse set up.
They used keys with the left hand (forwards/backwards/strafing) and looking with the right (mouse), so it's natural that they simply lifted that onto a pad, but didn't they do ANY market research?

Take the N64.

First console to manage a decent FPS in the form of Turok.
LEFT on the analogue stick to look and aim.
RIGHT thumb handles the strafing.
Almost every console FPS that followed stuck with this style.

Even though Goldeneye came up with a different system, turning left/right was still handled with the LEFT THUMB.

Maybe they weren't aiming for N64 players.
But even then, the Dreamcast used the same set up for the likes of Quake 3.
I'm not sure what PSOne/PS2 FPS games have been using with the dual analogue sticks but I'd not heard of any differences before.

The worst of it is is that it would've been so easy for MS/Bungie to include one small option that swaps round the analogue sticks.

But they didn't, and now the game is unplayable in my hands.

It's worse than being an FPS newbie - atleast they are still learning.
Trying to adapt to this new system worked against all my previous skills and instincts and I just ended up with a head ache.

Pity really, the game is almost perfect otherwise...

Another thing is that apparently, Turok Evolution on the GC also had it's analogue sticks the "wrong" way round (I could relate to all of the reviewer's (www.planetgamecube.com) troubles) although atleast an alternative is planned.

When someone first told me they couldn't play Halo because the analogue sticks were the wrong way round, I thought that they were making a whole load of fuss over nothing.

But years of training and gaming has moulded my instincts.
My left thumb is to turn with.
Hopefully MS has listened to the feedback on this account.
Sat 25/05/02 at 22:54
Regular
I gave it a fair try.
I played it for hours.
I wanted to like it, to enjoy it properly, but I couldn't.

As great as Halo is, I CAN NOT TURN WITH MY RIGHT THUMB.

It goes against all my instincts.

It's a real pity too because, otherwise, Halo was fantastic - the graphics, the sound, the background, the level design (a little repetitive but that wasn't really a problem), the enemies were well done, the shielding system is genius, the controls are great except for one way:

The analogue sticks are the wrong way round.

I know where they went wrong.
Bungie designed the game for the PC/Mac with the keyboard/mouse set up.
They used keys with the left hand (forwards/backwards/strafing) and looking with the right (mouse), so it's natural that they simply lifted that onto a pad, but didn't they do ANY market research?

Take the N64.

First console to manage a decent FPS in the form of Turok.
LEFT on the analogue stick to look and aim.
RIGHT thumb handles the strafing.
Almost every console FPS that followed stuck with this style.

Even though Goldeneye came up with a different system, turning left/right was still handled with the LEFT THUMB.

Maybe they weren't aiming for N64 players.
But even then, the Dreamcast used the same set up for the likes of Quake 3.
I'm not sure what PSOne/PS2 FPS games have been using with the dual analogue sticks but I'd not heard of any differences before.

The worst of it is is that it would've been so easy for MS/Bungie to include one small option that swaps round the analogue sticks.

But they didn't, and now the game is unplayable in my hands.

It's worse than being an FPS newbie - atleast they are still learning.
Trying to adapt to this new system worked against all my previous skills and instincts and I just ended up with a head ache.

Pity really, the game is almost perfect otherwise...

Another thing is that apparently, Turok Evolution on the GC also had it's analogue sticks the "wrong" way round (I could relate to all of the reviewer's (www.planetgamecube.com) troubles) although atleast an alternative is planned.

When someone first told me they couldn't play Halo because the analogue sticks were the wrong way round, I thought that they were making a whole load of fuss over nothing.

But years of training and gaming has moulded my instincts.
My left thumb is to turn with.
Hopefully MS has listened to the feedback on this account.
Sat 25/05/02 at 22:57
Regular
"smile, it's free"
You know, you CAN change the controls...
Sat 25/05/02 at 23:13
Regular
Can?

I knew there was an option between inverse/obverse looking, but can you actually make it so that you look with the left thumb and strafe/move with the right thumb?

My friend said that it couldn't be done.

If it CAN be done, I've just made a complete idiot (I tried another word but the filter wouldn't allow it :-D) out of myself in this post, but if you tell me how to change around Halo's analogue stick configuration, atleast I'll be able to play it properly next time...
Sun 26/05/02 at 00:41
Regular
Strafex, you read the incredible reception Metroid Prime has been given.
Sun 26/05/02 at 01:19
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
This is true. My setups:

Fur Fighters:

Aim with left thumb, move and strafe with right. This is a very sensibe setup, it allows you to aim accurately and move efficently.

However:

Quake III/TimeSplitters:

Move and turn with left thumb, strafe and look up/down with right. Less sensible you say? I disagree. Quake and friends rarely require looking up/down very much. This means I can aim, while retaining my ability to move quickly and accurately. Keeping moveing is definitely the key. Also, I have become skilled in co-ordinating look&aim, and it actually gives me greater movement axis.
Sun 26/05/02 at 01:58
Regular
"everyone says it"
Dringo wrote:
> Strafex, you read the incredible reception Metroid Prime has been
> given.

Yap.. I was cheering it from all the way here in Wimbledon.

'MMMMMMEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTRRRRRROOOOOIIIIIIDDDDDDDD..'

People started to pack and babies started to cry?!

Whassup with that?
Sun 26/05/02 at 18:28
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Or if you like the ps2 controller you can buy this beauty-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ exec/obidos/ASIN/B000065SP3/ ref=br_lf_li_1_2/026-1047487-7645231

Delete the spaces.
Sun 26/05/02 at 20:35
Regular
Halo is the first FPS I've ever played with the twin-analogie control - it took me the 1st level of the game to get used to it, after that it was second nature.... in fact it is a perfect way to control a FPS.

All that is needed is a bit of hand-eye coordination retraining and it's easy and natural.
Sun 26/05/02 at 20:57
Regular
"accidental superher"
in all the console fps i have played so far they all pretty much have the same controls as halo when it comes to walking and aiming

red faction
quake 3
jame bond: auf (well i actually changed the controls)
err..i'm sure there's more than this!
Mon 27/05/02 at 12:01
Regular
Old Turbonutter wrote:

> Fur Fighters:
>
> Aim with left thumb, move and strafe with right. This is a very
> sensibe setup, it allows you to aim accurately and move efficently.
>
> However:
>
> Quake III/TimeSplitters:
>
> Move and turn with left thumb, strafe and look up/down with right.
> Less sensible you say? I disagree. Quake and friends rarely require
> looking up/down very much. This means I can aim, while retaining my
> ability to move quickly and accurately. Keeping moveing is definitely
> the key. Also, I have become skilled in co-ordinating look&aim,
> and it actually gives me greater movement axis.

Actually, I'm fine with that one (It's how Goldeneye works).
What I can't stand is turning with the right thumb.
I just can't do it!

If there IS a way of changing the analogue sticks round on Halo then please fill me in so I'll actually be able to play the game next time.
Otherwise Microsoft have screwed up their market research this time round.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.