GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"NINTENDO - DO THEY REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 25/05/02 at 01:05
Regular
I have one question - do Nintendo really know what they are doing? They have now released their fourth console, the Nintendo Gamecube (NGC), and their games list shows very little imagination in it.

Firstly, the age range that the games are ranged at does not comply wth the console. I don't care what Nintendo say, there is no way that games like Donald Duck: Goin' "Quackers", Magical Mirror starring Mickey Mouse, Mickey Party or Shrek can possibly be aimed at all generations. I can see very few teenagers who would look at those games, let alone adults, unless they're parents, and even then I'd doubt it. These games are obviously (in my opinion) aimed at children, and therefore, why make them for a new console whch costs £130. The children aren't going to have enough money to buy the console + a £40-£50 game, and the parents arent likely to spend that much on it.

Secondly, there is the fact that most of the games are sequels to some previous console (many of them not even Nintendo's consles or games). Some of the games that spring to mind are Dragons Lair 3D, Mario Party 4, and Pac-Man Fever. For a start, Dragons Lair was a game on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES). It was only on the SNES and never made it onto the Nintendo 64 (possibly because of its bad gameplay and short life). With this in mind, why bring it onto the NGC? Few people will know about it now, I only know because I am one of the people who have the game for the SNES. Then there is Mario Party 4. Unless I'm badly mistaken, the original 3 Mario Party games were released within 18 months of each other and were never changed very much. It was effectively the same game with a different skin. As for Pac-Man Fever. How many peole will buy this game? It's an old arcade game ad theres probably been hardly anything changed in it. Remember Gauntlet Legends? It was re-released on the N64 and Playstation and was barely altered from 15 years before. The possibilities for Pac-Man must be much lower than a game like Gauntlet.

Thirdly, I would like to point out that so many of "Nintendo's" new games are brought in from other platforms. Crash Bandicoot for instance, was the Playstations equivalent to Mario for long enough, why is it now on a Nintendo console. I'm sure everybody know's that Sonic Adventure is now on gamecube, and after Sega dropping off of the market theres every reason for it to be done, but surely Crash Bandicoot would be much better off on the Playstation. Can anybody truly imagine Mario, Donkey Kong or Super Metroid on the PS2? It would take out some of the fun of the games.

Lastly, what is with all of the games that are being copied? Do they really think that selling games that are good sellers will instantly mean they'll make a lot of money? They have Tony Hawks 1-3 on sale for GC, Dave Mirra 1-4 and the entire series of Resident Evil. If you ask me, this is just going to cost them more money than they'll make.

It is for these reasons that I want to know if they really know what they are doing. Ifayone has any opinions, or any reasons that could prove that they know exactly what they are doing, I would like to hear them in order to see if my opinion changes.
Mon 27/05/02 at 12:04
Regular
"going underground"
can i just butt in and say the virtual boy RULES!!!! when ever you had a test the next day just play wario for a bit and voila instant migraine
Sun 26/05/02 at 20:23
Regular
God of Gaming wrote:
> Firstly, the age range that the games are ranged at does not comply
> wth the console. I don't care what Nintendo say, there is no way that
> games like Donald Duck: Goin' "Quackers", Magical Mirror
> starring Mickey Mouse, Mickey Party or Shrek can possibly be aimed at
> all generations.

Nintendo aren't trying to sell these games as adult games, for starters they're rubbish and they really are not the best games on the system. That's like saying do Sony know what they're doing, they aim their games at girls then using Spice Girls as an example. The majority of Nintendo games are nothing like these poor examples, every console has a few kiddy titles and you happened to have named the majority.

These games are obviously (in my opinion) aimed at
> children, and therefore, why make them for a new console whch costs
> £130.

Because there are bound to be a lot of parents out there that are gonna be more willing to buy a Disney game for their child cause they know that the content will be completely suitable for them.

In all that your wrote you seem to be taking notice of games that really aren't the gamecubes main games. All consoles have ports and there's no reason why Nintendo would want to change this.
Sun 26/05/02 at 20:12
"+ suspicious minds"
Whitestripes wrote:
> Yes I was being sarcastic. And don't forget the Gamegirl! That had a
> special light that told you your tamagotchi needed something while you
> were playing another game.

er, sorry, i should have geussed that. it sounds really clever know i am in the intel.
Sun 26/05/02 at 00:44
Regular
Yes I was being sarcastic. And don't forget the Gamegirl! That had a special light that told you your tamagotchi needed something while you were playing another game.
Sat 25/05/02 at 22:48
Regular
Boss Pac-Man wrote:
> now, whitestripes, i have too ask you something BIG...
>
> when has there been a luigi's mansion genre?
>
> When has there been a animal crossing genre?
>
> when has there been a PIKMIN genre?
>
> and where have you seen these genres a thousand times before?
>
> no offence, just felt like i had too ask...

He was being sarcastic from what I gather :)

I knew of the Game Boy Light, but I thought I'd stick to the basics and get to the complex stuff later :)
Sat 25/05/02 at 21:24
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
edgy, you missed the gameboy light ... it was a backlit game boy , only released in japan , that i got on holiday in gran canaria. It was availiable in silver and the very rare yellow , and the backlit colour was illuminous blue/green.
very cool indeed !
Sat 25/05/02 at 20:57
"+ suspicious minds"
now, whitestripes, i have too ask you something BIG...

when has there been a luigi's mansion genre?

When has there been a animal crossing genre?

when has there been a PIKMIN genre?

and where have you seen these genres a thousand times before?

no offence, just felt like i had too ask...
Sat 25/05/02 at 20:41
Regular
Stefan Leroux wrote:
> Right. I'd like to say that Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy
> Color, Game Boy Advance and Pokemon Mini are not consoles, they are
> Hand-Helds. I am fully aware of them but I did not mean to bring them
> into the subject. Also, as I understand, the Virtual Boy was not made
> by Nintendo.
>

Again you're wrong.

A games console is a unit that allows interaction with removable media via some kind of control device that displays output on some kind of screen.

Now the Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and Pokémon Mini all do that. So they are consoles, though usually catagorised as 'handheld consoles' they still do the same job.

And the Virtual Boy was made by Nintendo, but roughly 10 games were ever created for it, and it was basically a flop.

A normal Handheld would be similar to the above without removable media, like a handheld I've got infront of me now called "Vampire Attack". They are usually very limited and I believe Nintendo made their own called "Game & Watch" years ago.

> Pac-Man on GC? I still say there can't be that many possibilities. I
> remember pac man to be a game where you were to eat all of the dots in
> your way while avoiding the enemies. This in mind, how can a 3D game
> compare to it? Going around a route to eat dots in 3D? and how are
> you to avoid the enemy from behind you if you dont know its there?

Maybe they've changed the game altogether and are using the same character! You never know!
Sat 25/05/02 at 20:03
Regular
Actually you've got to admit, this guys got a point. Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Animal Crossing etc. Nintendo are just churning out more game genres we've seen a thousand times before. Its all the same re-hashed crap.

Thought of something you didn't include Edgy :)
Sat 25/05/02 at 19:54
Right. I'd like to say that Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and Pokemon Mini are not consoles, they are Hand-Helds. I am fully aware of them but I did not mean to bring them into the subject. Also, as I understand, the Virtual Boy was not made by Nintendo.

Pac-Man on GC? I still say there can't be that many possibilities. I remember pac man to be a game where you were to eat all of the dots in your way while avoiding the enemies. This in mind, how can a 3D game compare to it? Going around a route to eat dots in 3D? and how are you to avoid the enemy from behind you if you dont know its there?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.