GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"NINTENDO - DO THEY REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 25/05/02 at 01:05
Regular
I have one question - do Nintendo really know what they are doing? They have now released their fourth console, the Nintendo Gamecube (NGC), and their games list shows very little imagination in it.

Firstly, the age range that the games are ranged at does not comply wth the console. I don't care what Nintendo say, there is no way that games like Donald Duck: Goin' "Quackers", Magical Mirror starring Mickey Mouse, Mickey Party or Shrek can possibly be aimed at all generations. I can see very few teenagers who would look at those games, let alone adults, unless they're parents, and even then I'd doubt it. These games are obviously (in my opinion) aimed at children, and therefore, why make them for a new console whch costs £130. The children aren't going to have enough money to buy the console + a £40-£50 game, and the parents arent likely to spend that much on it.

Secondly, there is the fact that most of the games are sequels to some previous console (many of them not even Nintendo's consles or games). Some of the games that spring to mind are Dragons Lair 3D, Mario Party 4, and Pac-Man Fever. For a start, Dragons Lair was a game on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES). It was only on the SNES and never made it onto the Nintendo 64 (possibly because of its bad gameplay and short life). With this in mind, why bring it onto the NGC? Few people will know about it now, I only know because I am one of the people who have the game for the SNES. Then there is Mario Party 4. Unless I'm badly mistaken, the original 3 Mario Party games were released within 18 months of each other and were never changed very much. It was effectively the same game with a different skin. As for Pac-Man Fever. How many peole will buy this game? It's an old arcade game ad theres probably been hardly anything changed in it. Remember Gauntlet Legends? It was re-released on the N64 and Playstation and was barely altered from 15 years before. The possibilities for Pac-Man must be much lower than a game like Gauntlet.

Thirdly, I would like to point out that so many of "Nintendo's" new games are brought in from other platforms. Crash Bandicoot for instance, was the Playstations equivalent to Mario for long enough, why is it now on a Nintendo console. I'm sure everybody know's that Sonic Adventure is now on gamecube, and after Sega dropping off of the market theres every reason for it to be done, but surely Crash Bandicoot would be much better off on the Playstation. Can anybody truly imagine Mario, Donkey Kong or Super Metroid on the PS2? It would take out some of the fun of the games.

Lastly, what is with all of the games that are being copied? Do they really think that selling games that are good sellers will instantly mean they'll make a lot of money? They have Tony Hawks 1-3 on sale for GC, Dave Mirra 1-4 and the entire series of Resident Evil. If you ask me, this is just going to cost them more money than they'll make.

It is for these reasons that I want to know if they really know what they are doing. Ifayone has any opinions, or any reasons that could prove that they know exactly what they are doing, I would like to hear them in order to see if my opinion changes.
Sat 25/05/02 at 01:05
I have one question - do Nintendo really know what they are doing? They have now released their fourth console, the Nintendo Gamecube (NGC), and their games list shows very little imagination in it.

Firstly, the age range that the games are ranged at does not comply wth the console. I don't care what Nintendo say, there is no way that games like Donald Duck: Goin' "Quackers", Magical Mirror starring Mickey Mouse, Mickey Party or Shrek can possibly be aimed at all generations. I can see very few teenagers who would look at those games, let alone adults, unless they're parents, and even then I'd doubt it. These games are obviously (in my opinion) aimed at children, and therefore, why make them for a new console whch costs £130. The children aren't going to have enough money to buy the console + a £40-£50 game, and the parents arent likely to spend that much on it.

Secondly, there is the fact that most of the games are sequels to some previous console (many of them not even Nintendo's consles or games). Some of the games that spring to mind are Dragons Lair 3D, Mario Party 4, and Pac-Man Fever. For a start, Dragons Lair was a game on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES). It was only on the SNES and never made it onto the Nintendo 64 (possibly because of its bad gameplay and short life). With this in mind, why bring it onto the NGC? Few people will know about it now, I only know because I am one of the people who have the game for the SNES. Then there is Mario Party 4. Unless I'm badly mistaken, the original 3 Mario Party games were released within 18 months of each other and were never changed very much. It was effectively the same game with a different skin. As for Pac-Man Fever. How many peole will buy this game? It's an old arcade game ad theres probably been hardly anything changed in it. Remember Gauntlet Legends? It was re-released on the N64 and Playstation and was barely altered from 15 years before. The possibilities for Pac-Man must be much lower than a game like Gauntlet.

Thirdly, I would like to point out that so many of "Nintendo's" new games are brought in from other platforms. Crash Bandicoot for instance, was the Playstations equivalent to Mario for long enough, why is it now on a Nintendo console. I'm sure everybody know's that Sonic Adventure is now on gamecube, and after Sega dropping off of the market theres every reason for it to be done, but surely Crash Bandicoot would be much better off on the Playstation. Can anybody truly imagine Mario, Donkey Kong or Super Metroid on the PS2? It would take out some of the fun of the games.

Lastly, what is with all of the games that are being copied? Do they really think that selling games that are good sellers will instantly mean they'll make a lot of money? They have Tony Hawks 1-3 on sale for GC, Dave Mirra 1-4 and the entire series of Resident Evil. If you ask me, this is just going to cost them more money than they'll make.

It is for these reasons that I want to know if they really know what they are doing. Ifayone has any opinions, or any reasons that could prove that they know exactly what they are doing, I would like to hear them in order to see if my opinion changes.
Sat 25/05/02 at 01:21
Regular
Well...

I'm sure Nintendo know what they are doing...

Currently they are beating Microsofts Xbox in the sales department on a worldwide scale. GameCube has sold about 1 Million more units...

As for Resident Evil, the games aint just "copies" of the originals. Resident evil (1) has tons of new puzzles and a lot of things have been changed. It comes on two discs as well :) (i'm not sure of thier names, but with one disc you can play through as the bloke and with the other as the women) since Resident Evils release last month in the US GameCube has been outselling Xbox/PS2...Proving how just one game can change so much.

And we have Resident Evil Zero to come. A completly NEW game which looks stunning fromwhat I have seen from E3.

Eternal Darkness and Metroid also show how Nintendo are appealing to the more mature market. Metroid graphically looks equally stunning as Halo.

As for your point about sequels...All consoles have them. Not really fair to just single out a Nintendo console for having them.

Again, I'm sure Nintendo know what they are doing :)
Sat 25/05/02 at 01:38
Regular
I would post a proper reply to this post, but i really can't be bothered.

I'm sure everyone who reads this will be able to make up their own minds, and i doubt i'm going to convince the guy who wrote this (sorry, to check, i have to lean too far forward to my mouse to hit the back button. I don't know the keyboard shortcut, if there is one). Anyway, what was i saying. Ah who cares anyway.

Laters
Sat 25/05/02 at 02:19
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Most, if not all, the games you mentioned there weren't even made by Nintendo, (okay, Mario Party, but certainly none of the games you sited as 'kiddie...) and therefore have nothing to do with Nintendo themselves. Also, Nintendo are trying to become more friendly to 3rd party developers, which can only be good! If that means they get great games like the Tony Hawks series and other games that are now being ported to go multiformat, it means one less 'exclusive' game to a rival console, and if the game is good, one less reason for a gamer to buy a PS2 / XBOX over a GC.

And Ninty have been making games for ages. How long have you been making video games...? I rest my case.

I could argue on, but it's gone 2 in the morning and I've just finished a particularly long reply in the Life forum, so I won't right now...
Sat 25/05/02 at 11:13
Right, thanks for pointing out that it was not all Nintendo Sibs. Perhaps a better name for the post would have been "Nintendo Game Producers - Do they know what they are doing?" I apologise for the mislead, I did not mean to have a go at Nintendo directly. there were good points stated about sequels, but I am not having a go at Nintendo (Game Producers) for having them, its just the huge amount of sequels compared to new games. I am not completely one-minded. (Believe it or not, Nintedo is my favourite platform). I just wanted to give that opinion and see if anyone could oppose it for me to change it. I have not closed my mind and am considering the points that were brought up.
Sat 25/05/02 at 11:15
P.S. Stefan Leroux = God of Gaming
Sat 25/05/02 at 12:36
Regular
Christ! not another one of these. Looks like I'm gonna have to sort him out and show him the exit. He truly isN'T a gaming god.

God of Gaming wrote:
> I have one question - do Nintendo really know what they are doing?
> They have now released their fourth console, the Nintendo Gamecube
> (NGC), and their games list shows very little imagination in it.
>

Consoles Nintendo have released (Excluding Arcade machines and the handhelds called "Game & Watch" and similar devices like game-watches):

Nintendo Entertainment System
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Virtual Boy
Game Boy
Game Boy Pocket
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
Nintendo 64
GameCube
Pokémon Mini

A few more than 4 there.

> Firstly, the age range that the games are ranged at does not comply
> wth the console. I don't care what Nintendo say, there is no way that
> games like Donald Duck: Goin' "Quackers", Magical Mirror
> starring Mickey Mouse, Mickey Party or Shrek can possibly be aimed at
> all generations.

Nintendo have aimed the consoles at all ages. I'm sure if you look towards the Playstation 2 and X-box you will see similar titles. The Playstation even had a Tweenies game! All those games you mentioned are third party games, and so are not made by Nintendo.

I can see very few teenagers who would look at those
> games, let alone adults, unless they're parents, and even then I'd
> doubt it. These games are obviously (in my opinion) aimed at
> children, and therefore, why make them for a new console whch costs
> £130.

Excuse me? Ofcourse the games you mentioned are for the younger gamers! They're Disney games for heavens sake! When you see Resident Evil (complete series for remake on GameCube) you don't suddenly think that all games for the Playstation/Playstation 2/Dreamcast and any other systems they have been on only contain 'Adult' games do you?
Lets see...what cartoony games are on the X-box:
Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex
Simpsons Road Rage
Cel Damage
Taz Wanted
Jackie Chan Adventures
Shrek
Antz Extreme Racing
Galleon
Rayman M
Rayman Arena
Worms Blast

I dread to think how many were released on the Playstation 2 over the last two and a half years.

This does not mean that all games on the Playstation 2 and X-box are kiddie games! It just means they ALSO contain games for all age groups!

The children aren't going to have enough money to buy the
> console + a £40-£50 game, and the parents arent likely to
> spend that much on it.
>

You'd be suprised!

> Secondly, there is the fact that most of the games are sequels to some
> previous console (many of them not even Nintendo's consles or games).
> Some of the games that spring to mind are Dragons Lair 3D, Mario Party
> 4, and Pac-Man Fever. For a start, Dragons Lair was a game on the
> Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES). It was only on the SNES
> and never made it onto the Nintendo 64 (possibly because of its bad
> gameplay and short life).

And on all systems we've got:
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4 (in developement)
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 5 (suprisingly also in development already)
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX
and we've even got direct ports of old games like Crazy Taxi!
On the X-box there's Jet Set Radio Future, a sequel.
The thing is, sequels don't make the games or consoles bad! If anything, it shows the games series' are still going strong! Why do you think that so far there has been no sequel to Superman 64?

With this in mind, why bring it onto the
> NGC? Few people will know about it now,

That's why! Games companies can revive old games and treat them as new, and the gamers of yesteryear will want to play them, and new gamers will be curious. Revamping/remaking old games makes money!

I only know because I am one
> of the people who have the game for the SNES. Then there is Mario
> Party 4. Unless I'm badly mistaken, the original 3 Mario Party games
> were released within 18 months of each other and were never changed
> very much.

They were of similar style I agree there, but they each had a load more minigames, different 'boards', and lots more to do.

It was effectively the same game with a different skin.
> As for Pac-Man Fever. How many peole will buy this game? It's an old
> arcade game ad theres probably been hardly anything changed in it.

Except it's in full 3D and not 2D? Same game? I think not.

> Remember Gauntlet Legends? It was re-released on the N64 and
> Playstation and was barely altered from 15 years before.

Indeed, it had the same characters, but it wouldn't be a Gauntlet game otherwise! On the N64 it was in 3D and I'm sure it was a hell of a lot different to the ZX Spectrum version I've played many a time.

The
> possibilities for Pac-Man must be much lower than a game like
> Gauntlet.
>

Not when you see what all the magazines have given Gauntlet Dark Legacy.

> Thirdly, I would like to point out that so many of
> "Nintendo's" new games are brought in from other platforms.
> Crash Bandicoot for instance, was the Playstations equivalent to Mario
> for long enough, why is it now on a Nintendo console. I'm sure
> everybody know's that Sonic Adventure is now on gamecube, and after
> Sega dropping off of the market theres every reason for it to be done,
> but surely Crash Bandicoot would be much better off on the
> Playstation.

It's also on X-box!

Can anybody truly imagine Mario, Donkey Kong or Super
> Metroid on the PS2? It would take out some of the fun of the games.
>

How would the fun disappear? Anyway Crash Bandicoot games aren't made by Sony as far as I'm aware, so comparing them with the thought of Mario going multi-format is stupid! Nintendo own Mario, and unless Nintendo go down the same road as SEGA, which it doesn't look like they will, then Mario will stay exclusive. Anyway, Mario was once on the Atari and did well there!

> Lastly, what is with all of the games that are being copied? Do they
> really think that selling games that are good sellers will instantly
> mean they'll make a lot of money? They have Tony Hawks 1-3 on sale
> for GC,

Nope, they only have Tony Hawks 3 on GameCube, 1 and 2 are on N64.

Dave Mirra 1-4

I was only aware of number 2. I don't think the third and fourth have even been created!

and the entire series of Resident Evil. If you
> ask me, this is just going to cost them more money than they'll
> make.
>

Really? I think you need to re-think everything you've just said.

> It is for these reasons that I want to know if they really know what
> they are doing. Ifayone has any opinions, or any reasons that could
> prove that they know exactly what they are doing, I would like to hear
> them in order to see if my opinion changes.

Nintendo are a games company that have been around since 1889, I think they know what they're doing. You obviously don't.
Sat 25/05/02 at 13:45
Regular
Yo....
oh..Edgy said everything
Sat 25/05/02 at 15:09
Regular
Are you FOOTBALL GOD?
Sat 25/05/02 at 15:57
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Kids can't afford £130!

Well there goes all sales for the consoles!

The console is cheaper than the XboX and PS2 ( And you moan at GC for being expensive!)

The games can already be bought for £0 on some sites...

The games are the same price as PS2 and Xbox NEW RELEASE prices and in many cases cheaper!

Sorry! £0

my threee key wont work :c(

thirty punds!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.