GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Lost genres"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 23/05/02 at 09:54
Regular
Gaming has gone through many phases. From the three-object world of pong right through to the Technicolor magic of Mario World and the realistic simulation of Gran Turismo. Most genres endure such changes in the direction of the industry. Some do not…

In the most recent gaming revolution, the jump for 2 to 3 dimensions, numerous genres have been lost.

Some genres simply won’t work in the 3D eye-candy driven world of gaming. Side scrolling fighters have almost died simply because they don’t work in a 3D environment. Even companies like Square have been unable to revive the genre in “The Bouncer”- it will take a leap of genius to perfect character lock-on and camera angles in such a fast paced genre.

Other genres have just been discarded because mass-market gamers won’t buy games that don’t have the eye-candy they demand. For example, 2D fighters, possibly one of the most perfected genres ever to be created, have died. It wasn’t going too badly until SNK went bust, leaving Capcom as the only people seriously making games for the market. So the years of development in perfecting the genre (it reached this point with Street Fighter II) have become worthless. It’s a real loss to the industry.

Another genre lost because of this reason is the top-down scrolling games. Nothing has come close to filling the gap they have left. Whereas with 3D flying games you can take dozen of hits, the 2d top down flying games were about 100% skill- if you got hit you died. There is a massive rift between the 2 genres.

I wonder what genres we’ll lose next.

Sonic
Sat 25/05/02 at 18:02
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
illzen, the DC is truely the best console for arcade games, including 2D games- I just love Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Although the real thing that pulls me in is Power Stone (scroll down a few posts)

Sonic
Sat 25/05/02 at 17:54
Regular
"95% organic"
I'd recommend getting a Dreamcast if you miss the ol' 2d genres. I reckon it will be the last platform to really bother with such retro-style gameplay, which probably makes such games on the DC the best of their kind.

Street Fighter 2 game reached their peak on the DC, and there must be nearly ten to choose from.

As for 2d shooters, Zero Gunner 2, Cannon Spike and Bangaio are some of my favourite ever games: and are all updates of the classic genre.

And while I know what you're saying about the disappearance of certain styles, having seen my favourite franchises (like Bomberman) completely lose track of their roots, there aer also new genres coming in to fill those gaps. Things like Monkey Balls spring to mind.
Sat 25/05/02 at 17:37
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Liquid, game development is, if anything, getting longer! Up to four years for some games. Even though the development tools are better, the stuff you need to code is bigger!

Sonic
Sat 25/05/02 at 15:01
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:

> What really, really annoys me about Tekken is how slow the PAL
> conversions are. People go round saying the game is great, and not
> realising that the Japanese version (certainly of the first 3 games)
> was far superior.
>
> Sonic

I agree with that, from personal experience. I had my PSX chipped like many others just to get the import copy of Tekken games.
Tekken 2 and 3 both were like this, not sure about tekken tag as I didn't buy that. In saying that though the games are still great and if you haven't played the import version then they still feel very quick.
Sat 25/05/02 at 14:54
Regular
Wow...I'm speaking to a notable...

Anyway...I think all genres at the moment are going okay. With the Next-Gen consoles out, games are going to be made quicker, which could result in games becoming worst but still consoles are going to want to have a variety.

Liquid
Sat 25/05/02 at 14:28
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Bartender, I meant slow compared to 2d fighters like Marvel vs. Capcom and the like! Oh, and it's certainly slower then Powerstone!

What really, really annoys me about Tekken is how slow the PAL conversions are. People go round saying the game is great, and not realising that the Japanese version (certainly of the first 3 games) was far superior.

Sonic
Fri 24/05/02 at 16:16
"Darkness, always"
I disagree with the Tekken slowness.

The characters didn't move at amazing speeds, but when you get to close combat fighting, you need to master blocking, counterattacking, and "chicken" moves with lightening reflexes.

But then I come from a breed of people who perfected the art of tekken 3 and Street Fighter EX...
Fri 24/05/02 at 15:55
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Basically, when they decided to make the first 3D fighting games (the first was Virtua Fighter), they must have decided to use the polygon effect to create realism. However, the actual style of the gameplay is still just 2D with a dodge button and slower gameplay (compare Tekken speed to Marvel vs. Capcom!).

However, with Powerstone (2) they've created some proper 3D stages that you can run around in. So, in one level you start on a flying fortress, complete with machine guns (that you can use) and loads of items to pick up, throw and use. Then the skydeck explodes, and you enter a freefall battle in which the 4 players compete for the 2 umbrellas you have- if you don't have one by the time you reach the ground it won't be a soft landing! Oh, and then you land in an aztec ruin and continue to fight.

For anyone who hasn't played this game and has a DC (or even if you don't, you can always get one), pick up Powerstone 2- a truely marvellous game!

Sonic
Fri 24/05/02 at 11:12
"Uzi Lover"
Now Powerstone is a game I like to play.

I see what you mean with Tekken and to be honest I'm not really a fan with all the slow, realistic style fighting games.

Street Fighter for example had such a fast tempo with so much action which needed your own quick reactions in advance. That was what made the 2D genre and beat-em-ups so great. Plus all that bouncing off of the sides heh.
Fri 24/05/02 at 11:06
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I always find that amusing because Tekken is escentially a 2D game with a dodge button that allows you to go into the background.

The reason people think of it as different from 2D games is the game style- it's slow and realisticish. No fire balls or flashes. Instead slow realistic gameplay.

A real 3D beat em up is something moe akin to Powerstone where it uses the extra dimension.

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.