GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Not impressed Mr Erikkson!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/05/02 at 13:32
Regular
While I can understand wanting as many players to know what it feels like to play in the heat and humidity, not many know what it feels like for a full 90 mins thanks to eight changes against Korea - what a shambles!

Wes Brown was dire and shouldn't get another look in, Sherringham barely saw the ball and Keown couldn't win a header against someone half his size. Heskey was also unbelieveably non-existent against players half his size and James looked shaky in goal

On the upside, Hargreaves was the best of the bunch and now deserves Butt's place alongside Scholes who also didn't put a foot wrong while on the pitch. Mills looked Ok at right back, Ashley Cole just scraped it over Wayne Bridge, Joe Cole did OK and Owen & Vasell looked sharp. It will be intresting to see the starting line at the weekend - just hope we see very few changes on the day.

Digby
Tue 21/05/02 at 13:32
While I can understand wanting as many players to know what it feels like to play in the heat and humidity, not many know what it feels like for a full 90 mins thanks to eight changes against Korea - what a shambles!

Wes Brown was dire and shouldn't get another look in, Sherringham barely saw the ball and Keown couldn't win a header against someone half his size. Heskey was also unbelieveably non-existent against players half his size and James looked shaky in goal

On the upside, Hargreaves was the best of the bunch and now deserves Butt's place alongside Scholes who also didn't put a foot wrong while on the pitch. Mills looked Ok at right back, Ashley Cole just scraped it over Wayne Bridge, Joe Cole did OK and Owen & Vasell looked sharp. It will be intresting to see the starting line at the weekend - just hope we see very few changes on the day.

Digby
Tue 21/05/02 at 13:39
"High polygon count"
I don't know about the rest of the team, but I believe that Seaman, Campbell, Keown and Cole should all play together in defence, simply because they play together at Arsenal and work well together.

I never did understand why they never played Winterburn, Adams, Keown/Bould and Dixon together in their heyday. You have an experienced, ready-made, quality defensive unit that work well together. Why the hell don't you use them?
Tue 21/05/02 at 13:41
"High polygon count"
Forgot to add...

Yes, their may be better individual players, but football is a team sport, and the unit will work best together, giving better overall results.

That's my belief, anyway.
Tue 21/05/02 at 13:43
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Calm Down, you sound like a press reporter..

It was a friendly and with all the injuries this is the best to see what replacements can be used if the first 11 don't make it dont you?

Id rather Sven make changes now and find out who'd play well on these pitches rather than in an important game against Sweden/Argentina?

Issue such as who'd play well at Right back now Neville aint there, who can handle the heat & Humidity, can heskey play on the left, can butt/hargreeves replace gerrad or does Becks need to play in the centre..

Logically really Aint it..?

So relax, its only the first friendly game, whch allows the player's to play on a pitch which is different to them.
Tue 21/05/02 at 13:46
Regular
".......on the attac"
It certainly wasn't a very good display in either half. OK, we scraped a goal but the Koreans ran rings around most of the team. In the second half I thought Southgate was outstanding. A number of times he went past Korean players on the left side, and then fed Bridge or Cole.
Sinclair really didn't cut it. That game was crying out for a midfielder of Bowyer's quality. It's a disgrace that he isn't there now. The man was found innocent.
Tue 21/05/02 at 13:50
Fair point, except that Ferdinand didn't put a foot wrong today and Keown looked ordinary at best. Keown was unable to defend a corner against someone who barely came up to his shoulder and was half his weight, so what his chances are against world class strikers of a larger stature doesn't bear thinking about. I also think he has a suspect temper and is more likely to get sent off than Ferdy.
Tue 21/05/02 at 13:54
"High polygon count"
Digby wrote:
> Fair point, except that Ferdinand didn't put a foot wrong today and
> Keown looked ordinary at best.

That almost makes my point for me.

Split them up and maybe they're not so good, but together they can deal with almost anything.
Tue 21/05/02 at 13:54
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Forgot to add...
>
> Yes, their may be better individual players, but football is a team
> sport, and the unit will work best together, giving better overall
> results.
>
> That's my belief, anyway.

You've surely answered your own question there. Football is quite rightly a team Sport and so just as individuals must function together as part of a defensive line-up so must a defensive line-up function as part of the team.

It may be that the Arsenal defensive line (excellent as they have proved themselves to be this season) is not suited to the way in which the England team plays.

I'm sure Eriksson (being his job and all that) has thought these things through thoroughly.
Tue 21/05/02 at 13:58
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I agree with AbsoluT Neó, this was only a friendly, though Korea were treating it a bit more seriously, and the result doesn't really matter.
Isn't it a tradition that England usually underperform or have problems at the beginning of every major championship? Do you remember the start of Euro '96? A poor 1-1 draw with the Swiss, but we still went on to play some great football later in the tournament.

I wouldn't be too worried about this result, the idea of injuries were probably playing in the back of every players mind, so they didn't give 100% incase of injury.
Tue 21/05/02 at 14:06
"High polygon count"
Hatboy wrote:
> You've surely answered your own question there.

It was more of a statement than a question.

However you play football, there are three distinct areas. If you have a solid, ready-made defensive unit, you should surely use it. Better, surely, only to worry about the right-back not fitting in than the whole back four (or five, including keeper)? Easier to cover and deal with.

> It may be that the Arsenal defensive line (excellent as they have
> proved themselves to be this season) is not suited to the way in which
> the England team plays.

Indeed. They play well, and that wouldn't suit England at all, would it?!

As far as I know, the "Arsenal defence" is about the only line-up that Sven HASN'T tried out for an entire match, and God knows he's had enough time.

If you're up against the best strikers, you need your best defence. And so far, Sven hasn't picked it.

Good though they may be, I'm afraid to say that the entire nation seems intent on pinning the hopes of our entire World Cup campaign on Owen and Beckham. So much so that they don't really care about who plays elsewhere in the team. And I'm sorry, but Owen and Beckham alone will not win us the World Cup.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.