GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamecube Price Drop"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 20/05/02 at 13:18
Regular
Announced that in the USA, the Gamecube has dropped in price to match the other consoles and to be even cheaper.

Hmmm

http://news.bbc.co.uk /hi/english/entertainment /new_media/newsid_1998000/1998072.stm

(remove spaces)
Mon 20/05/02 at 14:14
Regular
Sure, end of the day you are getting the same amount of games for the cash...but...

The range of games are very limited arnt they? What if there isnt a game amongst the range you want? what if the games you want are outside of the range? You will just have to make do with the "crappy" game...

It different for indivuduals but maybe you got more than one console, and you want to spend the money on somthin else. 100 squid would come in very hanhdy to me...
Mon 20/05/02 at 14:03
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Or†ega wrote:

> Sure, but i'm sure them mans would have rather had the cool £100
> cash in hand...

Which you are going to buy more games with!
I'd rather have the £115 worth of stuff off of Microsoft than an extra £100. I'd only buy more games in the end!
Mon 20/05/02 at 13:52
Regular
Phi11ip wrote:

>
> The people who payed £300 got a better offer!
> They can claim 2 games and a free controller off of microsoft as
> compensation!

Sure, but i'm sure them mans would have rather had the cool £100 cash in hand...
Mon 20/05/02 at 13:50
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Willyum wrote:
> When i first saw that the x-box was put down in price buy £100 i
> laughed thinking that it could stand against the demand for the cheap
> and affordable GC and the already widely own PS2. But for those people
> who bought it for £300, I feel sorry for them as they lost out
> on £100.

The people who payed £300 got a better offer!
They can claim 2 games and a free controller off of microsoft as compensation!
Mon 20/05/02 at 13:49
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Or†ega wrote:
> And Besides...Sony Make DVD players themselves so I'm sure they know
> what they are doing...
>
> Sony have little control over Nintendo's pricing policy though. and if
> they want to keep their considerable share of the gaming market, they
> may have to react with a price change. Though this won't likely effect
> their own dvd prices (since they can claim dvd sales from the PS2
> anyway), it certainly could have some effect on those dvd producers
> who aren't also dabbling in the console market.

Microsoft are to blame for all this though. They were the first to act in this latest price war in the US...

Sure, its good for the us, the consumer as we are getting cheaper consoles...but as you said...is it really good in the long run?
Mon 20/05/02 at 13:46
Regular
PS2 DVD player quality is very low end. Probably exactly the same as a Under £100 DVD player.

Problems such as lip-synch are only rectified by buying the official remote control for around £20 which has the drivers to sort it out. Although you then lose the DVD region X capability methinks...

Havnt got a clue about Xbox DVD player apart from the fact you have to pay £30 to even get it working.

Agreed bout DVDs being newer to the market though...
Mon 20/05/02 at 13:44
Regular
"everyone says it"
Whats a twot?
Mon 20/05/02 at 13:42
Regular
"Wants Superpowers!"
When i first saw that the x-box was put down in price buy £100 i laughed thinking that it could stand against the demand for the cheap and affordable GC and the already widely own PS2. But for those people who bought it for £300, I feel sorry for them as they lost out on £100. If i was them id ask for a £100 refund. Also the GC was ment to be bought out at £170 and was reduced just before release to £130 to compete against the PS2 and X-box.
Mon 20/05/02 at 13:41
"Darkness, always"
Or†ega wrote:
> And Besides...Sony Make DVD players themselves so I'm sure they know
> what they are doing...

Sony have little control over Nintendo's pricing policy though. and if they want to keep their considerable share of the gaming market, they may have to react with a price change. Though this won't likely effect their own dvd prices (since they can claim dvd sales from the PS2 anyway), it certainly could have some effect on those dvd producers who aren't also dabbling in the console market.
Mon 20/05/02 at 13:39
"Darkness, always"
Or†ega wrote:
> You can already buy DVD players for under £100
>
> So shoudnt effect the DVD player Market at all.
>
> PSone could play CDs but it didnt effect the CD player market did it?

Point taken, but... DVDs are newer to the market than CDs were when the PS1 came out. a £100 DVD player is probably lower quality than what you'll get from the PS2 or XBOX, if the prices for those fall any more, some of the quality DVD player will likely fall, as more adult consumers look to the PS2 or XBOX as a well priced DVD player, with the bonus of being a "next gen" console.

I think it will have some sway over the dvd market. Only £20-30 of sway, but sway nonetheless. At least it means that mid-range dvds aren't excessively overpriced like they are now, instead just slightly over-priced.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.