GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony style"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/05/02 at 12:22
Regular
Three new consoles, all available in the UK now, and each one trying to convince you that it is the best one to buy. The names are known to everyone, but just in case, they are the Gamecube, X-Box and Playstation 2. This is a "Console Wars" topic, but I`m not here to argue about the games, the specifications, the number of developers, the sales figures or anything like that, but instead, the actual appearence of the console.

The reason I wanted to make this topic is that I was completely confused as to the opinions people seemed to have of the consoles looks. The Gamecube receiving high praise, and even the X-box only getting occasional complaints of its weight, next to Sony getting accused of having produced a black brick or door jam has completely astonished me. How can this be when Sony are the kings of style?

This may seem like an unjustified title, but when you look at the three companies, not just for their consoles, but for their other products, it becomes clear that surely Sony should be the leaders of the pack. Producing top quality electronics such as widescreen tv's, hi-fi's, walkman's, and much more has given Sony a lot of practice at making their products look as sleek and sexy as possible. The brand name on their tv's combined with the quality of the tv itself isn't always enough to sell the thing, it usually has to look good too.

With Microsoft coming from a more software orientated background, and Nintendo from a console only line, it explains why neither has become a style icon. In the "old days" when console gaming was a "geeky" thing to do, consoles would be little black boxes with odd labels where style was sacrificed so that the console could function properly. Simply splashing purple all over the thing does not bring it into this modern era of gaming.

Similarly, the huge "X" logo on top of a console is too much of a focal point for the Microsoft`s machine. If you look at a tv or hi-fi, the main focus is obviously the picture, or the controls. The rest of the machine should be stylish without getting in the way. If the main logo is so bright and big, it diminishes the quality of the console around it. The PS2 logo is more subtle. It is easily noticeable, meaning the brand and product names are known, but it doesn`t dominate the console.

Sony have been accused of bringing gaming to the mainstream. For this, they are guilty as hell. However, it should be pride not guilt that they feel. They have taken a geeky hobby and made it into one of the coolest industries on the planet. Everybody knows the name Sony, and most of them know the Playstation line as well. The journey to huge public recognition was mainly due to impressive advertising, but Sony`s style was also key.

The PS2 is a rather strange design. The fact that it stands vertically as well as horizontally is odd enough, but then it also has the "grill" lines down the edges. Have you tried visualising the console without those grills? It makes you realise why they`re there. The console is designed to stand proud next to your tv, blending in, but at the same time, making its presence felt in a subtle way.

Sony knew what they wanted, and they`ve achieved it. They took the next step in computer gaming and got completely away from the geeky background, away from multicoloured boxes and obtrusive logos, and into a world of stylish consoles, a world with PS2.
Fri 17/05/02 at 14:53
Regular
Ah, but the GameCube's Orange light looks really cool against the Black...

You cant appreciate that with your purple Cube :P

You see, I iz a gangsta cos i got 2 black cubes on launch day
Fri 17/05/02 at 14:51
Regular
"Touched!"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Not forgetting the blue light.

Yeah, the blue light is a nifty clolour for an led, very cool!
Fri 17/05/02 at 14:47
"High polygon count"
Not forgetting the blue light.
Fri 17/05/02 at 14:47
Regular
"Touched!"
Personally i'm not too bothered what a console looks like really, its the games that i'm bothered about. I own both and Xbox and a PS2 and i prefer the look of the Xbox, i agree i think its a bit too big but i like the design a bit more than the PS2, i think the design of the PS2 looks a tad dated now, but thats probably because i have been looking at it since launch day. To be honest i don't really notice the Big X on the Xbox because it blends in with the console itself, i don't really like the green circle in the middle but like i said i aint bothered about how it looks, what colour it is or the weight of it, if we did base consoles on their looks then we would hardly call ourselves gamers would we now ?
At the end of the day everyone has their own views about which console they like the best, so its an arguement that no one will win, because many people don't like the design of the ps2 very much.
As for the geeky image, i don't really think that consoles have really had much of a geeky image, i think that is more to do with pc's, becuase these days the majoirty of people own consoles it would be hard to single out a few and call them geeks.
Also do people not remember the probs the design of the ps2 caused? such as scratching discs while positioned vertically and louder loading while on its side on certain games, i had this happen to me a few times and i'm onto my 5th ps2 now, some designs do have flaws, i am not trying to bash the ps2 at all here but as its a sony topic i thought i'd point out some flaws of the design, i love my ps2 to bits, but every console design has flaws of its own.
As for sony moving away from the geeky image..the question is did they really have one? in my view, no, i never saw the Playstion as geeky at all, but at the end of the day everyone has their own opinion!

good post! plenty of vlaid points for people to argue over :P
Fri 17/05/02 at 14:42
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
The PS2 design wins hands down! Why? Becuase of the turnable PS badge. Makes all the difference.
Fri 17/05/02 at 14:40
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I think the PS2 design is great, it so far removed from the PSone which was pretty basic looking. I think its been designed around other elecronical objects like DVD and video players, and fits in with them perfectly. It stands out more from these objects though which is perhaps the best thing about it.

The grill bit on the front stops the machine looking like a VCR, and the logos for such things as DVD video and surround sound have been minimised so the PS logo gets all the attension. One thing about the console which really stands out though are the cool little lights on the eject and restart button. It sounds silly but I think there great and I've already had a couple of comments about how cool looking the lights are.

The x-box design to looks like the designers wanted to show off a bit, the giant X on the front looks ugly to me and it doesn't help that the colour of this letter is green. The Gamecube is alright, but like the PSone the design is pretty basic looking. I think the image of the PS2 has done allot to sell the console, It is a good design that stands out from other consoles on the market.

Good post by the way ssxpro, Its nice to see an origanal topic for once.
Fri 17/05/02 at 14:39
"High polygon count"
Or†ega wrote:
> Which is why the Cube comes in Black...

Yeah - IF you can get one! :-(

As for the original post... I like the PS2's design. A bit 'square', but it fits in nicely.

I love Sony's designs for their equipment - hi-fis, videos, TV's etc. They're usually pretty stunning.
Fri 17/05/02 at 14:24
Regular
"Back For Good"
Excellent post there ssxpro and I agree, The PS2 design is superb and the tiny PS logo looks so much nicer than a WAY OVER THE TOP 'X' slashed across the thing! Out of the 3 console designs I have to say the PS2 is my favourite, It blends in just right with my Minidisc deck and TV, much better than that ps1 look with the blue screen they were going for ;-)

off subject a little but did you know most CD-ROM drives fitted in PCs work just as well on their side :-)
Fri 17/05/02 at 14:04
Regular
ssxpro wrote:
Simply splashing purple all over the thing does not
> bring it into this modern era of gaming.

Which is why the Cube comes in Black...
Fri 17/05/02 at 13:15
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
I see what you are saying but at the end of the day - does it really matter ?

If anybody were to go out and buy a new console purely for what it looks like then they must be pretty shallow people.

All the consoles I have at home are there to play games on and it is the appearance and playability of the games that matter to me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.