GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony style"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/05/02 at 12:22
Regular
Three new consoles, all available in the UK now, and each one trying to convince you that it is the best one to buy. The names are known to everyone, but just in case, they are the Gamecube, X-Box and Playstation 2. This is a "Console Wars" topic, but I`m not here to argue about the games, the specifications, the number of developers, the sales figures or anything like that, but instead, the actual appearence of the console.

The reason I wanted to make this topic is that I was completely confused as to the opinions people seemed to have of the consoles looks. The Gamecube receiving high praise, and even the X-box only getting occasional complaints of its weight, next to Sony getting accused of having produced a black brick or door jam has completely astonished me. How can this be when Sony are the kings of style?

This may seem like an unjustified title, but when you look at the three companies, not just for their consoles, but for their other products, it becomes clear that surely Sony should be the leaders of the pack. Producing top quality electronics such as widescreen tv's, hi-fi's, walkman's, and much more has given Sony a lot of practice at making their products look as sleek and sexy as possible. The brand name on their tv's combined with the quality of the tv itself isn't always enough to sell the thing, it usually has to look good too.

With Microsoft coming from a more software orientated background, and Nintendo from a console only line, it explains why neither has become a style icon. In the "old days" when console gaming was a "geeky" thing to do, consoles would be little black boxes with odd labels where style was sacrificed so that the console could function properly. Simply splashing purple all over the thing does not bring it into this modern era of gaming.

Similarly, the huge "X" logo on top of a console is too much of a focal point for the Microsoft`s machine. If you look at a tv or hi-fi, the main focus is obviously the picture, or the controls. The rest of the machine should be stylish without getting in the way. If the main logo is so bright and big, it diminishes the quality of the console around it. The PS2 logo is more subtle. It is easily noticeable, meaning the brand and product names are known, but it doesn`t dominate the console.

Sony have been accused of bringing gaming to the mainstream. For this, they are guilty as hell. However, it should be pride not guilt that they feel. They have taken a geeky hobby and made it into one of the coolest industries on the planet. Everybody knows the name Sony, and most of them know the Playstation line as well. The journey to huge public recognition was mainly due to impressive advertising, but Sony`s style was also key.

The PS2 is a rather strange design. The fact that it stands vertically as well as horizontally is odd enough, but then it also has the "grill" lines down the edges. Have you tried visualising the console without those grills? It makes you realise why they`re there. The console is designed to stand proud next to your tv, blending in, but at the same time, making its presence felt in a subtle way.

Sony knew what they wanted, and they`ve achieved it. They took the next step in computer gaming and got completely away from the geeky background, away from multicoloured boxes and obtrusive logos, and into a world of stylish consoles, a world with PS2.
Sun 19/05/02 at 10:04
Regular
Have you ever tried thinking of a word, or reading a word, without actually silently saying the word inside your head? As you type things, as you read things, all the things you do around these forums, you're silently saying everything in your head, and I said Ortigger to myself.

I like the name though, it works even better with your special t.
Sat 18/05/02 at 17:02
Regular
"round the outside"
hehe
Sat 18/05/02 at 16:48
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
lol
Sat 18/05/02 at 16:18
Regular
Sure... :D

(why was you saying my name anyway?)

(I mean, was you talking to yourself?)

(Just in your head?)

(out load?!)
Sat 18/05/02 at 10:30
Regular
Hey, Ortega, would you mind if I started pronouncing your name differently?

At the moment I say it "Or-Tee-Ga"

However, in one of my many moments of stupidity, I pronounced it:
"Or-Tig-ger"

Basically Ortigger, which sounded funny at the time :D

If you like, you can pronounce mine espresso, essexpro etc...

Note: "etc..." is not an example for the pronounciation, but merely to demonstrate that there are plenty more examples to choose from.

Woah, I really am in a stupid mood today.

I think its down to two things:
1) Star Wars Episode 2 in 1 hour 32 minutes
2) Geocities is having maintenance done so I can`t touch my website.
Sat 18/05/02 at 00:32
Regular
Ah...The mention of Panasonic..

Cant Believe I completly overlooked that...

http://image.lik-sang.com /images//large/panasonic-gamecube.jpg

(Remove gap after .com)

Now that is quality blue lighting :D (around the controller ports)

http://image.lik-sang.com /images//large/panasonic-gamecube2.jpg

(remove gap after .com)

Nicely labelled pic :)
Fri 17/05/02 at 21:15
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Not forgetting the possibiliting of either having it vertically or horizontally with the stand nicely blending in with the swivelled logo on top of the machine and the blue & Green Led, lets face it when it comes to looks Sony have got the idea of what the cutomer wants, ive got a latest Sony MD and it looks better than anything Panasonic or Goodmans have produced and some of the chrome HIFIs look stunning with blue backlight on them.
Fri 17/05/02 at 21:04
"High polygon count"
Let's face it, those two things would make it the best games machine even if they didn't release any games for it!
Fri 17/05/02 at 20:56
Regular
So, there we have it... the PS2 is the best console because of these two reasons:

1) Blue LED.
2) Swivelling PS logo.

I think that sums it up nicely :D
Fri 17/05/02 at 15:00
"High polygon count"
Or†ega wrote:
> Ah, but the GameCube's Orange light looks really cool against the
> Black...
>
> You cant appreciate that with your purple Cube :P

No, but I've seen it on my mate FatButcher's. And it's not even in the same league as Sony's cool blue! :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.