GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's wrong with gaming?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/05/02 at 20:26
Regular
Moan, moan moan. Complaining, bickering and moaning. Special Reserve certainly is becoming a place to discuss your gaming woes. "There is no originality in games anymore" "all games are sequels" "The Xbox is just a cash in"

Excuse me, but am I the only one who enjoys playing video games nowadays? I have written some pretty negative things in my time, but that doesn't mean that gaming is going downhill. In my opinion, there's never been a better time for gamers - we have three new and brilliant consoles, 3D graphics have evolved to the point of infinitesimal detail and due to the increasing popularity within 'casual' circles, more and more better games are being released to cater for my needs. I suffered from the gaming drought of the N64 days, not having anything good to play for months. The gaming scene in this day and age is awesome though. There is always at least three or four games being released every week, and at Christmas this count gets ludicrously high. So we may have too many sequels, and not enough originality, but you can't say that gaming isn't fun anymore.

In actual fact, I would have to say we've got more great games now than a few years ago. In an aspect ratio of good original games to sequels, wannabes and duffers, then fair enough, there are fewer good games in relation to bad, but judging by the massive release schedule, there are more good games in total. I doubt you understand what I just said, but let me explain. Four years ago, there may have been 3 great games coming out on October 1, and perhaps 7 okayish/bad games. Tomorrow, there might be 6 great games coming out and 20 bad games. That could be exaggerating a tiny bit, but it shows that despite there being tonnes of worse games, there are still more great games.

But what I'm really trying to crack on about is that gaming is still brilliant, despite all the remakes and sequels. There are only so many new and innovative things you can do with games, and once they've all been implemented then originality will end for good, and 'original' will just be a term for 'derivative'. I have absolutely no problem with all the remakes and sequels out - they always improve upon the original and most importantly, are fun. Games such as Tony Hawks 3, MGS2, Wave Race Blue Storm, Star Wars Rogue Leader, SSX Tricky and Mario games. You just can't complain about these being bad because they're sequels. Why? Because they're still great to play.

Why bother playing video games if they are all bad. I play because I enjoy them, but if there is no fun in gaming any more then you should put down your joypad and play football. In this day and age, media fuelled hype just adds to the cynicism. See what's good about gaming, and compare it to what was great in the supposed 'golden age' of gaming. You'll find there is a lot more to live for nowadays in the way of a crackingly good time.

Games are meant to be fun. And if you don't find them fun, don't play them, and leave us in peace to enjoy the brilliant things which make OUR gaming experiences fun. For the rest of us, be happy with all the sequels, remakes and non-original games we get, because if they're fun, what's wrong. Embrace all the Rez's and Mad Maestro's with open arms, but don't put down games which aren't original because they aren't. Innovation or not, gaming can still be fun.
Thu 16/05/02 at 21:44
good topic half pint i for one still love gameing and always will for a long long time
Thu 16/05/02 at 20:26
Regular
"¬_¬"
Moan, moan moan. Complaining, bickering and moaning. Special Reserve certainly is becoming a place to discuss your gaming woes. "There is no originality in games anymore" "all games are sequels" "The Xbox is just a cash in"

Excuse me, but am I the only one who enjoys playing video games nowadays? I have written some pretty negative things in my time, but that doesn't mean that gaming is going downhill. In my opinion, there's never been a better time for gamers - we have three new and brilliant consoles, 3D graphics have evolved to the point of infinitesimal detail and due to the increasing popularity within 'casual' circles, more and more better games are being released to cater for my needs. I suffered from the gaming drought of the N64 days, not having anything good to play for months. The gaming scene in this day and age is awesome though. There is always at least three or four games being released every week, and at Christmas this count gets ludicrously high. So we may have too many sequels, and not enough originality, but you can't say that gaming isn't fun anymore.

In actual fact, I would have to say we've got more great games now than a few years ago. In an aspect ratio of good original games to sequels, wannabes and duffers, then fair enough, there are fewer good games in relation to bad, but judging by the massive release schedule, there are more good games in total. I doubt you understand what I just said, but let me explain. Four years ago, there may have been 3 great games coming out on October 1, and perhaps 7 okayish/bad games. Tomorrow, there might be 6 great games coming out and 20 bad games. That could be exaggerating a tiny bit, but it shows that despite there being tonnes of worse games, there are still more great games.

But what I'm really trying to crack on about is that gaming is still brilliant, despite all the remakes and sequels. There are only so many new and innovative things you can do with games, and once they've all been implemented then originality will end for good, and 'original' will just be a term for 'derivative'. I have absolutely no problem with all the remakes and sequels out - they always improve upon the original and most importantly, are fun. Games such as Tony Hawks 3, MGS2, Wave Race Blue Storm, Star Wars Rogue Leader, SSX Tricky and Mario games. You just can't complain about these being bad because they're sequels. Why? Because they're still great to play.

Why bother playing video games if they are all bad. I play because I enjoy them, but if there is no fun in gaming any more then you should put down your joypad and play football. In this day and age, media fuelled hype just adds to the cynicism. See what's good about gaming, and compare it to what was great in the supposed 'golden age' of gaming. You'll find there is a lot more to live for nowadays in the way of a crackingly good time.

Games are meant to be fun. And if you don't find them fun, don't play them, and leave us in peace to enjoy the brilliant things which make OUR gaming experiences fun. For the rest of us, be happy with all the sequels, remakes and non-original games we get, because if they're fun, what's wrong. Embrace all the Rez's and Mad Maestro's with open arms, but don't put down games which aren't original because they aren't. Innovation or not, gaming can still be fun.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.