GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stick to what your good at..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/05/02 at 18:09
Regular
Companies have tried hard to break the gaming industry, but haven’t been successful. They have tried to make the hardware for a certain console and it hasn’t taken off, or they might have even have tried to make a console and it has failed. It ‘s time for the real game developers to shine through the rest and re-claim what’s rightfully theirs.

Sega for instance. They have made some of the best games ever, Sonic, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, and many more. But they tried to make a new console, to compete with the Nintendo and the Playstation, the Dreamcast, to improve on the Sega Mega Drive and the Master System. I don’t even know why it failed, because I for one thought it was a great console, but I don’t think that it had the support of the fans. Personally, I got the console, and I thought it was very good. The games were overall very good, and the graphics on games like Shenmue were outstanding. But it was the lack of support that lost the Sega it. I think a certain console is going that way and it too, has got the same case that Sega had…

The Xbox. Personally, the Xbox is going one way for me, and that’s straight to the ‘gaming’ graveyard, right next to the Dreamcast and a few others. For me, the Xbox’s games as a whole are not the best, and compared to the Gamecube and PS2, they’re nowhere near as good, as what they should be. The controller also adds to the downfall of the Xbox as it is massive and there are way to many buttons. The designers that were in charge of designing the Xbox have got to be sacked.

But this leads me onto my next point about Microsoft trying to conquer the gaming world, when they should have stuck to making software for the PC. That way, they would still be making tons and tons of money, and they wouldn’t have this console that has practically failed already, and that’s why they have put the price down already. They are only making £4000 a week and over 5 years they would have made a five billion over five years. Now don’t get me wrong, some of you might have them, and like them, but to me the statistics say everything. I think that the XBOX is going to the same way as the Dreamcast. Sorry.

It seems to me, that over the years, the gaming industry has, and is getting harder to successfully break. Once you have made a name and a reputation for yourself in the ‘gaming industry,’ like for instance Nintendo, they tend to keep on making quality games and consoles. Apart from Sega of course, who make good and interesting games, but the Dreamcast went wrong in the way of sales. This is weird as the Mega Drive and the Master System both did extremely well.

For the future, what’s going to happen? There might be more and more companies trying to break the gaming industry but for me, the ones that are going to stay are the established one.

I think in the gaming industry, you have to stick to what your good at, that way you wouldn't dent your reputation, like Sega, and that you would fail practically straight after coming out, like the Xbox.

What are you views on this topic?

Thanks for reading.

Liquid H20
Wed 15/05/02 at 18:42
Regular
Maybe. I think the Xbox will sell more because the price has gone down loads. £300 is too much for a console, that hasn't got very good games, looks rubbish and Microsoft are new to this.

About Sega though, I think they may come back with a new console as I think they won't be happy for that long making games for other consoles. Watch this space!
Wed 15/05/02 at 18:36
"Uzi Lover"
I see the Xbox not being very succesful at the start of things but as time gradually moves on I think it will extremely well. It has the power.

The Dreamcast was a good console. If it wasn't I wouldn't of bought one. The range of games Sega were making and the progress they seemed to be making slowly with the online play was going good. Just think about it now - think of what games would be out on the Dreamcast if Sega had stuck around...Super Monkey Ball for one would of been a real hit. It was a shame to see the console go, it really was.

Mark my words though, Sega WILL be back with a no console. I don't know when but they will. Success with the Master System and ega Drives proves they are a strong force and so does the games they make. They'll be back.

I think the way Sega have took things is an excellent stratagy. It's like Sega are building up a fan base before the launch of their next title by releasing games which are something special. Letting all their games on multi-format really is a good way to get fans, I hope it works for them.
Wed 15/05/02 at 18:09
Regular
Companies have tried hard to break the gaming industry, but haven’t been successful. They have tried to make the hardware for a certain console and it hasn’t taken off, or they might have even have tried to make a console and it has failed. It ‘s time for the real game developers to shine through the rest and re-claim what’s rightfully theirs.

Sega for instance. They have made some of the best games ever, Sonic, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, and many more. But they tried to make a new console, to compete with the Nintendo and the Playstation, the Dreamcast, to improve on the Sega Mega Drive and the Master System. I don’t even know why it failed, because I for one thought it was a great console, but I don’t think that it had the support of the fans. Personally, I got the console, and I thought it was very good. The games were overall very good, and the graphics on games like Shenmue were outstanding. But it was the lack of support that lost the Sega it. I think a certain console is going that way and it too, has got the same case that Sega had…

The Xbox. Personally, the Xbox is going one way for me, and that’s straight to the ‘gaming’ graveyard, right next to the Dreamcast and a few others. For me, the Xbox’s games as a whole are not the best, and compared to the Gamecube and PS2, they’re nowhere near as good, as what they should be. The controller also adds to the downfall of the Xbox as it is massive and there are way to many buttons. The designers that were in charge of designing the Xbox have got to be sacked.

But this leads me onto my next point about Microsoft trying to conquer the gaming world, when they should have stuck to making software for the PC. That way, they would still be making tons and tons of money, and they wouldn’t have this console that has practically failed already, and that’s why they have put the price down already. They are only making £4000 a week and over 5 years they would have made a five billion over five years. Now don’t get me wrong, some of you might have them, and like them, but to me the statistics say everything. I think that the XBOX is going to the same way as the Dreamcast. Sorry.

It seems to me, that over the years, the gaming industry has, and is getting harder to successfully break. Once you have made a name and a reputation for yourself in the ‘gaming industry,’ like for instance Nintendo, they tend to keep on making quality games and consoles. Apart from Sega of course, who make good and interesting games, but the Dreamcast went wrong in the way of sales. This is weird as the Mega Drive and the Master System both did extremely well.

For the future, what’s going to happen? There might be more and more companies trying to break the gaming industry but for me, the ones that are going to stay are the established one.

I think in the gaming industry, you have to stick to what your good at, that way you wouldn't dent your reputation, like Sega, and that you would fail practically straight after coming out, like the Xbox.

What are you views on this topic?

Thanks for reading.

Liquid H20

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.