GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stick to what your good at..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/05/02 at 18:09
Regular
Companies have tried hard to break the gaming industry, but haven’t been successful. They have tried to make the hardware for a certain console and it hasn’t taken off, or they might have even have tried to make a console and it has failed. It ‘s time for the real game developers to shine through the rest and re-claim what’s rightfully theirs.

Sega for instance. They have made some of the best games ever, Sonic, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, and many more. But they tried to make a new console, to compete with the Nintendo and the Playstation, the Dreamcast, to improve on the Sega Mega Drive and the Master System. I don’t even know why it failed, because I for one thought it was a great console, but I don’t think that it had the support of the fans. Personally, I got the console, and I thought it was very good. The games were overall very good, and the graphics on games like Shenmue were outstanding. But it was the lack of support that lost the Sega it. I think a certain console is going that way and it too, has got the same case that Sega had…

The Xbox. Personally, the Xbox is going one way for me, and that’s straight to the ‘gaming’ graveyard, right next to the Dreamcast and a few others. For me, the Xbox’s games as a whole are not the best, and compared to the Gamecube and PS2, they’re nowhere near as good, as what they should be. The controller also adds to the downfall of the Xbox as it is massive and there are way to many buttons. The designers that were in charge of designing the Xbox have got to be sacked.

But this leads me onto my next point about Microsoft trying to conquer the gaming world, when they should have stuck to making software for the PC. That way, they would still be making tons and tons of money, and they wouldn’t have this console that has practically failed already, and that’s why they have put the price down already. They are only making £4000 a week and over 5 years they would have made a five billion over five years. Now don’t get me wrong, some of you might have them, and like them, but to me the statistics say everything. I think that the XBOX is going to the same way as the Dreamcast. Sorry.

It seems to me, that over the years, the gaming industry has, and is getting harder to successfully break. Once you have made a name and a reputation for yourself in the ‘gaming industry,’ like for instance Nintendo, they tend to keep on making quality games and consoles. Apart from Sega of course, who make good and interesting games, but the Dreamcast went wrong in the way of sales. This is weird as the Mega Drive and the Master System both did extremely well.

For the future, what’s going to happen? There might be more and more companies trying to break the gaming industry but for me, the ones that are going to stay are the established one.

I think in the gaming industry, you have to stick to what your good at, that way you wouldn't dent your reputation, like Sega, and that you would fail practically straight after coming out, like the Xbox.

What are you views on this topic?

Thanks for reading.

Liquid H20
Sun 19/05/02 at 13:40
Regular
Again, the mis-conception that all Nintendo stuff is for kids. I think that ciould be one of the reasons why more people like Sony, coz they have games like FIFA, that are exactly the same all the time, and Nintwendo have graet original games like Zelda and Mario.
Sat 18/05/02 at 23:14
Regular
RM18 wrote:

>
> Again the misconception that Nintendo is for 'kids'. Why, dammit, why?
> Neither Sega or Nintendo make games for 'kids'. What's so grown up
> about driving a car into a wreck, or button bashing to win in DOA3? I
> could train a chimp to do that. Nintendo games require thought,
> intelligence and dexterity to complete - I wish people would realise
> that.

I couldn't agree with you more.

And are people forgetting, Halo was originally a PC game, but Microsoft paid the developers millions to make it an X-box exclusive. Which to me is a pathetic attempt at making people buy one. The design is awful, its bigger than my T.V, the controller seems to have been designed by a six year old retard (no offence), it only has four decent games: One of which was 'bought' from the developers and one other is also on the PS2 and PC, its far too expensive, it doesn't have a single original feature, it lacks innovation, Microsoft announced they only made it because they wanted more money, the boxes are a horrible colour etc etc

Those are just some of the reasons why I personally don't like it, and will never buy on. Some people won't care that Microsoft throw ridiculous amounts of money round in an attempt to 'force' gamers to buy an X-box so they can play the game they've been waiting for, for two years. But to me, its just a dirty trick (besides I don't even like Halo, i'm not into FPS).

Its also just a stripped down PC, it even has a hard-drive ffs! And why? So you can copy a game (install...) onto it so you don't have to bother putting the disc in each time, wow, what an amazing feature! If you want to buy an X-box, don't bother. Buy a PC instead. Sure, it will cost more, but over time it will work out less as you can upgrade it instead of having to buy a whole new console.

Finally, Microsoft should just go back to Windows, because they haven't even got that working properly yet!
Sat 18/05/02 at 08:08
Regular
Solskjær wrote:

> Do you seriously think it will follow the path of the Dreamcast???
> Look at the games. On the Box you currently have the likes of Halo,
> GTA 3, Dead or Alive 3, and Wreckless to choose from - all more 'grown
> up' than others. And there's still 'The Matrix' and 'Halo 2' to arrive
> in the future.
> The Dreamcast on the other had had different games, more suited to
> 'kids' like Nintendo.

Again the misconception that Nintendo is for 'kids'. Why, dammit, why? Neither Sega or Nintendo make games for 'kids'. What's so grown up about driving a car into a wreck, or button bashing to win in DOA3? I could train a chimp to do that. Nintendo games require thought, intelligence and dexterity to complete - I wish people would realise that.
Sat 18/05/02 at 07:24
Regular
Solskjær wrote:

I disagree with you when you say that the X-box will go
> straight to the 'Gaming Graveyard'.
>
> Do you seriously think it will follow the path of the Dreamcast???
> Look at the games. On the Box you currently have the likes of Halo,
> GTA 3, Dead or Alive 3, and Wreckless to choose from - all more 'grown
> up' than others. And there's still 'The Matrix' and 'Halo 2' to arrive
> in the future.
> The Dreamcast on the other had had different games, more suited to
> 'kids' like Nintendo.
> And do Sonic Adventure and co. all come under a completely different
> genre to the X-box titles.

The bit about the games. I think that the games are good on the Xbox, but there, personally, no where near as good as what they are on Gamecube and Ps2. I mean, what would you rather have MGS2 or DOA 3, or Maro Sunshine or The Matrix. Come on, be realistic.
Fri 17/05/02 at 08:44
Regular
Liquid H²O wrote:
> The Xbox. Personally, the Xbox is going one way for me, and that’s
> straight to the ‘gaming’ graveyard, right next to the Dreamcast and a
> few others. For me, the Xbox’s games as a whole are not the best, and
> compared to the Gamecube and PS2, they’re nowhere near as good, as
> what they should be.

How can you say that when:

Halo is one of the best FPS ever.
Project Gothan Racing is one of the best racers ever.
Dead or Alive 3 is one of the best beat-em-ups ever.
Championship Manager is the best Management sim ever.
Jet Set Radio Future is one of the most original games ever.

Also I think that SEGA only pulled the plug on the Dreamcast because they were 300 billion Dollars in debt. If it wasn't for their finances being so bad, Dreamcast production would have continued in a similar way to the N64.
Thu 16/05/02 at 13:29
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Interesting topic....

I agree that the likes of Sega should stick to games like Sonic, like how Nintendo should stick to Mario and Zelda, and Rare with their FPS's, but disagree with you when you say that the X-box will go straight to the 'Gaming Graveyard'.

Do you seriously think it will follow the path of the Dreamcast???
Look at the games. On the Box you currently have the likes of Halo, GTA 3, Dead or Alive 3, and Wreckless to choose from - all more 'grown up' than others. And there's still 'The Matrix' and 'Halo 2' to arrive in the future.
The Dreamcast on the other had had different games, more suited to 'kids' like Nintendo.
And do Sonic Adventure and co. all come under a completely different genre to the X-box titles.

I'm not saying that this means the X-box cannot fail, but it is on a different path to the Sega console.
The X-box is the most powerfull console to date, and with a reduced price many people are now moving over to the X-side.#

Microsoft could've stuck to PC's - like they do best - but every company feels the need for something new and different, and they therefore entered the Console Market. It's also a chance to make even more money!
And their reputation could almost DOUBLE in size if the X-box comes out ontop!!

But companies like Ninty and Sega should stick to what they know they can do best, like you said. If not, then they would fail.
Thu 16/05/02 at 13:23
Regular
"*Plonk*"
Wait!

What I meant was that Nintendo did good by moving the release date of SMB to the release date of the GC. It made it a much-sort after console after that.
Wed 15/05/02 at 21:24
Regular
"*Plonk*"
Fine... If it's that way...
Wed 15/05/02 at 21:17
"Uzi Lover"
JCSuperStar wrote:
the GC controllers are so easy to use it's unreal (no it's not, its quake arena!).

That is bad....man.

I like Super Monkey Ball -
> the best game to smash into the market with. Well done nintendo!

Sega made it....dude.

:-P
Wed 15/05/02 at 21:11
Regular
"*Plonk*"
Liquid H²O wrote:
> I think the Xbox will sell more because the price has gone down
> loads. £300 is too much for a console, that hasn't got very good
> games, looks rubbish and Microsoft are new to this.
>
> About Sega though, I think they may come back with a new console as I
> think they won't be happy for that long making games for other
> consoles. Watch this space!

The dreamcast flopped because more people saw the beauty in it when Sega announced they were gonna stop making it. £300 is too much for the Xbox, and they aren't expecting any good games in the next 12 months, unlike the PS2 or Gamecube. The controllers are too chunky for the Xbox anyway, and the GC controllers are so easy to use it's unreal (no it's not, its quake arena!). I like Super Monkey Ball - the best game to smash into the market with. Well done nintendo! and 5 billion? its not going to make that much money every day, it'd be on a sliding downwards scale, so 5 billion is really too high.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.