GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My ADSL Connection (Pipex Users Please Read)...."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/05/02 at 17:08
Regular
I have my ADSL Modem installe, which I got from SR, the internal one. Now the problem is that Pipex tell me I'm to set up my account for ADSL with them like I would a dial-up one, going to 'My Computer' and 'Dial-Up Networking', and dding a new connection, with me selecting the ADSL from the modem from the list and entering the phone number just as 1111 1111111. Thing is the ADSL modem doesn't show up in this list, and Windows doesn't like the files included on the ADSL Modem CD, so won't let me install it as a modem.

But the software which came with the modem is confusin, it's a little like the current thing in the bottom-right of your computer with the two compter screens blinking at you when your on-line and double clicking that opens a dialog with transfer details ... the one with the ADSL modem is similer. It will automaticly try connecting to the ADSL Service, and will tell me a connectiong has been made after about 50 seconds, then jump back to 'connecting...', which is better than what it said before, so I'm guessing BT are Upgrading/Have Upgraded the exchange now :o).

So, my question is, does anyone know how I am to use my ADSL Service through pipex now???
Wed 22/05/02 at 19:42
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I have a static IP. It's very impessive, for a modem user.
Wed 22/05/02 at 01:40
Regular
"How Handy."
Hehe, yup i noticed that too..

It's worth using something like dynamic dns though, Pipex dont say you get a static ip so they could change it any time they liked.
Wed 22/05/02 at 00:58
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I just found out I've got a static IP Addy :o)

So, just say I registered an internet name, how could I have it point to my IP and be online only when I allow it??

Any other things I can play with using my static IP???? :O) hehe
Tue 21/05/02 at 23:45
Regular
"relocated"
Glad to hear you've hopped onto the broadband bandwagon. You might notice that the internet is now utterly fantastic, and works in the way it was supposed to. Mmmm, fast and always on...

The only trouble is, once the flash-obsessed designers realise people are switching to broadband they'll start making their sites even bigger and more unwieldy - and we'll be right back where we started.

Enjoy it while you can!
Tue 21/05/02 at 23:33
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
WOOHOO I got it working :)

I sent that internal one back and bought an External one for £80 from PC World, works a treat :o)

I must say thanks for the help you people gave me, but it was really a lost cause with that Modem ..... SR, han your heads in shame, lol.
Mon 20/05/02 at 16:41
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
Sorry Mate..I use Pipex, but haven't got a clue there.

I got an internal Speedstream ADSL modem off of Ebay. Very good modem, easy to install.

If you send your one back, dont get Pipex one! Get an internal one...check Ebay, very cheap: Speedstream 3000 series you want, from Efficient Networks, very good.

Hope you get it sorted, cos Pipex 0wns 0_o
Sun 19/05/02 at 19:13
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Could someone who uses Pipex (or anyone who knows this) tell me these mean, and what values to set them as:

VCI Value.
VPI Value.
Encasulation Value.
Pipex IP Addresses and Subnet Mask.
Fri 17/05/02 at 17:22
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I tried the Web Site of the people who made the Modem, and the E-mails come back as 'undeliverable' ... what a joke.

I think it's just the modem sucks (the internal one I bought from SR). I'm gonan send it back and just pay an extra £30 or whatever it is to Pipex for the one they offer.

Thanks for your help though everyone.
Thu 16/05/02 at 21:31
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
ah, go to Pipex's website (should have read the last line before replying) they probably say you have to do some specific thing to get it going.
Thu 16/05/02 at 21:28
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Go to the Modem's manufacturer's website, they might have some information for whats happening, might be clashing with your old modems drivers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.