GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Price drops"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/05/02 at 21:14
Regular
Are price drops getting too ridiculous. What price should consoles be?

My views:
PS2 - £170
GC - £150
XBOX - £250

Also, who thinks the Xbox is a PC, only smaller and heavier?
Tue 14/05/02 at 21:14
Are price drops getting too ridiculous. What price should consoles be?

My views:
PS2 - £170
GC - £150
XBOX - £250

Also, who thinks the Xbox is a PC, only smaller and heavier?
Fri 09/08/02 at 18:28
on september the 1st the ps2 and x-box are dropping to £130 to be level with the gc but the gc is dropping to £100
Fri 09/08/02 at 20:03
Regular
I wish the price wars would exist in the games and not just the consoles. It's ok having a console costing £100 but what about the games that cost 39.99?
Sat 07/09/02 at 23:52
Regular
"All about the Beats"
skybob wrote:
> on september the 1st the ps2 and x-box are dropping to £130 to
> be level with the gc but the gc is dropping to £100

WELL????
Fri 06/12/02 at 09:51
Regular
"'what goes here?'"
i reckon cosole games should be around £20 quid so you could get twobrand new game titles for £40 instead of just one! platinum games should be around £10 because it costs about £3 to make the game and the case ect and they sell them for so much profit!
Wed 25/12/02 at 17:15
Regular
"I see you"
It actually cost about 40p to make some games, but thats just for the manufacturing of the disc and case but in true essence they actually cost millions to make because of all the hours and man power that goes into them. How else are all the people who program games going to get their wages paid? I know you'll probably say but DVD films are only £15, well thats because a films generate all their profits from being released at the cinema and for rentals but yet all most games have is a little space on a shelf.

This brings me to the Don't Buy A Game a Week champaign, if nobody has heard of this then thats how succesful it was at getting games buyers to listen. Don't buy a game a week was a ridiculous idea especially to have it at christmas time when sales of games go up. Come they didn't even put any poster up in town centres or post flyers all they did was take out a little article in a games magazine.
Fri 27/12/02 at 12:57
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
machine1 wrote:
> It actually cost about 40p to make some games, but thats just for the
> manufacturing of the disc and case but in true essence they actually
> cost millions to make because of all the hours and man power that goes
> into them. How else are all the people who program games going to get
> their wages paid? I know you'll probably say but DVD films are only
> £15, well thats because a films generate all their profits from
> being released at the cinema and for rentals but yet all most games
> have is a little space on a shelf.

I think the problem is that it isn’t the people who develop the games that get the money...

Less that the disks are so cheap to produce (much less than 40p each on the scale they are generating)...

But that the people who are actually doing the work on the titles receive so little per copy (around 50-75p?)...

The vast majority of the money go to the console manufactures Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo the distributors EA, et al, and the resellers.

The common argument given is that its the distributors who arrange for marketing/advertising, and that for every successful title, they still have to cover the costs for the titles that fail.

However, these losses are the same as those garnered from DVD/Music releases and therefore fail to represent the price of games as they stand (console games could be sold for £20 a peace and still make a substantial profit)

The reason why games are as expensive as they are isn’t because of the costs for development, or production, or marketing, etc.. but because they can be sold for that amount. Why should they lower their prices when so many people seem happy to pay so much for them?
Fri 27/12/02 at 14:35
Regular
"I see you"
> The reason why games are as expensive as they are isn’t because of the
> costs for development, or production, or marketing, etc.. but because
> they can be sold for that amount. Why should they lower their prices
> when so many people seem happy to pay so much for them?

It's right waht your saying most people are happy to pay so much for games but i'm not i look every where before i buy a game to find it as cheap as possible (the net is one of the best solutions). The only trouble is most people will not bother to do this and most people won't complain about the price of games and as long as this is the case they'll still stay at around £40 in the high street shops.
Sat 28/12/02 at 15:37
Regular
wats so good about platinum games for some reason they cost more than games with normal covers is a silver cover and a silver disc worth more than a normal 1
Sat 28/12/02 at 16:34
Regular
"Thongs of Praise"
Why are people complaining about price drops??????? Ill sell u a ps2 for £300 if ya like??? Long hail capitalism!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.