GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Luigi Training"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/05/02 at 20:01
Regular
I was just thinking. Luigi's mansion. At first, accurately using the main control stick for movement at the same time as using the c-stick to rotate direction facing, that was a little bit awkward, especially when you add the occasional need to aim the vacuum higher or lower.
A little while later, by the time i completed it, that realy wasn't a problem, easy to do.

And it occured to me, maybe luigi's mansion wasn't just a game for the sake of a game, maybe it was nintendo's effort to use their flagship title (and thus supposedly most owned game) to get their audience used to using both analogue sticks simulaneously.

After all, it could reasonably be a challenge to only slightly uncoordinated people, and seems a likely use of the pad design in the future. So with this game, they ensure that at least those who have played it, will be able to comfortably move on to other, more tricky games.
Lets face it, luigi's mansion wasn't the hardest game in the world. Or pile of 2 games. You could get quite a long way without any real coordinational ability, and in that time, you'd hgave picked up enough to keep moving on.

Then again, maybe it's just a coincidence, you could, for example, argue the same thing about super monkey ball, teaching people precision control with the new controller. Except it's made by sega.

Thinking about it, it taught intelligent use of the shoulder buttons, both of them, too, and utilising the analogue control, and thanks to the game boy horror, every button on the pad had a use.

Well, maybe not the d-pad : )

So was luigi's mansion intentionally designed to accustom players to the control pad? Knowing shigsy, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the answer was a strong yes.

Or maybe it was just a coincidence. But even if it was, it's cool that it had that educational effect. Within one game, everyone who's played the thing has turned out competent and comfortable in using the control pad. Great stuff.
Tue 14/05/02 at 20:22
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
Dr Duck do you know how?! f*igging hard Super Monkey Ball is? flagship blah blah *pfhhh*
Tue 14/05/02 at 20:17
Regular
Shocktrooper I was stuck like you. What you have to do is catch 5 Boos on the second floor then the prof will tell you to go and wash your hands, this means go to the 1F Toilet/Washroom.

When the light on your GBH goes yellow you are in a room with a Boo (not a view!), then as you get closer to the boo the light will go red, press 'A' next to where the light is flashing Red and a Boo will come out, then just point the Vaccum in his direction, no need for a torch or pulling pack on the control stick.
Tue 14/05/02 at 20:13
Regular
"bit of a brain"
You're probably right about Luigi's mansion being a game to help people get to grips with their controller, after all they did it with Mario 64. it's just a shame that Microsoft didn't do the same thing with the XBOX, as it can be quite tricky to get used to their pad, especially in Halo.
Tue 14/05/02 at 20:11
Regular
I reckon that it wasnt a game amde for us to get used to the pad but as the game design went a long they thought that they could have a use for every button.
Tue 14/05/02 at 20:08
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Doc, seen as you've completed the game, would please be as kind to err, help me out please, because I'm, err *blushes* stuck.
Yes, that's right - stuck.
I've set the Boos free...and I don't know where to go from there.
The basement room has a lever, but whatever I do it won't do anything. I haven't got an element-adaptability medal thingy yet, although the bathroom with the running shower seems oddly suspicious...
I'm stuck.
Oh, and now there's a bloke only visible looking through the Game Boy Horroo, he's carrying candles and looking rather lost.
What do I do? Where do I go?
I must need a key...
Tue 14/05/02 at 20:01
Regular
I was just thinking. Luigi's mansion. At first, accurately using the main control stick for movement at the same time as using the c-stick to rotate direction facing, that was a little bit awkward, especially when you add the occasional need to aim the vacuum higher or lower.
A little while later, by the time i completed it, that realy wasn't a problem, easy to do.

And it occured to me, maybe luigi's mansion wasn't just a game for the sake of a game, maybe it was nintendo's effort to use their flagship title (and thus supposedly most owned game) to get their audience used to using both analogue sticks simulaneously.

After all, it could reasonably be a challenge to only slightly uncoordinated people, and seems a likely use of the pad design in the future. So with this game, they ensure that at least those who have played it, will be able to comfortably move on to other, more tricky games.
Lets face it, luigi's mansion wasn't the hardest game in the world. Or pile of 2 games. You could get quite a long way without any real coordinational ability, and in that time, you'd hgave picked up enough to keep moving on.

Then again, maybe it's just a coincidence, you could, for example, argue the same thing about super monkey ball, teaching people precision control with the new controller. Except it's made by sega.

Thinking about it, it taught intelligent use of the shoulder buttons, both of them, too, and utilising the analogue control, and thanks to the game boy horror, every button on the pad had a use.

Well, maybe not the d-pad : )

So was luigi's mansion intentionally designed to accustom players to the control pad? Knowing shigsy, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the answer was a strong yes.

Or maybe it was just a coincidence. But even if it was, it's cool that it had that educational effect. Within one game, everyone who's played the thing has turned out competent and comfortable in using the control pad. Great stuff.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.