GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sad fact: Gamecube and PS2 are almost the same size!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/05/02 at 19:13
Regular
Little more than 15 minutes ago, I decided to carry out a little experiment. Hey, I'm in study leave, I'm allowed to do sad stuff like this! Anyway...

I decided to calculate the volumes of my Gamecube and PS2 respectively. Measuring the Gamecube was a fairly easy affair, as it's a very simple form. Having measured the width, height and depth, I calculated the volume to be 2640000mm cubed (I don't the hotkey for the small 3).

So, onto the PS2. I divided my measurements into two groups, as the PS2 is a slightly more complex shape. In the end, I calculated the volume to be 3641200mm cubed, making it roughly 1.5 times bigger than the Gamecube.

But then it struck me - there's a few things that I'm not taking into consideration here. Firstly, the PS2 has a vast hole in it, dubbed the Expansion Bay. Also, the Gamecube has an external power adapter unit, whereas PS2's is built-in. So, I deducted the volumes of these two objects from the total PS2 volume. The result? A new volume of...

2896625mm cubed

This makes it 256625mm cubed bigger than the Gamecube, according to my calculations. This may sound like a big number, but that's just about a third the size of the Gamecube power adapter, which is to say, not a damn lot!

So there you have it - another pointless post courtesy of Uncle Albert. Yes, the sizes of the consoles may not matter that much and I haven't taken into consideration the 3 expansion ports on the bottom of the GC, but at least I've wasted a little bit of my useless time...and yours! :)
Fri 24/05/02 at 13:56
Ok, looking through the manuals for all three consoles:

PS2 dimensions (nb: these are quoted for the unit placed HORIZONTALLY)
78mm h x 301mm w x 182mm d
I'm going to use inches here so the numbers don't get ridiculously high...
So this is 3.1"h x 11.9"w x 7.2"d

Footprint = 54782mm^2 (85 sq in) horizontal or 14196mm^2 (22 sq in)
Size = 4272996mm^3 (261 cu in)

The Xbox:
80mm (3.2")h x 300mm (11.8")w x 180mm (7.1")d
Footprint = 54000mm^2 (84 sq in)
Size = 4320000mm^3 (264 cu in)

The Gamecube:
110mm (4.3") h x 150mm (5.9") w x 160mm (6.3") d
Footprint = 24000mm^2 (37 sq in)
Size = 2640000mm^3 (161 cu in)

These are the overall unit dimensions, which is what matters when trying to decide shelf space. Clearance isn't included in this, eg for the GC and Xbox, you need to provide space at the top for the CD cover to raise, and for the PS2, for the drawer to slide out.
Fri 24/05/02 at 09:17
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Read the last paragraph of my original thread.
Thu 23/05/02 at 19:33
What a completely wasted argument. No offence, but come on!!

The PS2 and Gamecube are nowhere near the same size or shape. Even volume-wise, you are saying that PS2 is 50% bigger in volume than Gamecube.

Your attempt to exclude volume from the PS2 and add volume from the Gamecube is pointless. They are the size that they are. If PS2 has got a great big gaping hole for a drive bay, who cares? The damn thing is still the size that it is. It's not like you can remove the space and make it smaller is it?! Likewise with the Gamecube - you can't just add on the size of the PSU cos' it isn't part of the Gamecube unit itself.

Sorry for sounding like a prat - I'm a newbie, and an educated one at that. The name is daft, I know, but I just took a paracetamol for a headache so the name fits!! - I don't want to cause any headaches here tho'!! LOL!

Peace...
Thu 23/05/02 at 17:51
The Way The 'cube is built it is more compact
Wed 15/05/02 at 20:17
OK, maybe in terms of acutal volue PS2 is the smae size as GameCube, but think how much less space Gamecube takes up, its got to be less than half the width (I admit I don't have a PS2 to compare it with, why bother when I have a GameCube ??!!). OK, the Gamecube is a bit high, and if you;ve got low shelves it could be a problem, but surely most shelves are tall enough?

And yes, I wish I had enough free time, that I was bored enough to work all that out (although I admit I might do it instead of revision, look I'm posting messages about the size of consoles to keep away from revision!)
Wed 15/05/02 at 18:22
Uncle Albert wrote:
> Bandit wrote:
> here's a fact 4 u uncle albert! YOU TRULY ARE SAD..............
>
> Really? Ah, damn, this changes everything...

don't change a thing there's now't wrong with being sad if you do it with a "smile".
Wed 15/05/02 at 07:45
Regular
Outback Ash wrote:
> lol, lol and again lol, great post!

You talkin' to me?
Tue 14/05/02 at 21:35
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
lol, lol and again lol, great post!
Tue 14/05/02 at 20:44
Regular
Okay so rice crispy squares are 3D anyway but you get my point.
Oh and that should read 'an actual cube shape' not actualy..
Tue 14/05/02 at 20:42
Regular
Well I reckon the GC could be a lot shorter, I think its only that tall so its the same length as the width, thus making it an actualy cube shape. Other wise it would be a rectangle, making it like rice crispy squares in 3D...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.