GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Any Examples on show yet?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/02/08 at 20:51
Regular
Are there any examples of these instant sites am curious to see what they look like and to see how differant the users are making them, or if they all look simmilar.
Digi
Tue 25/03/08 at 19:11
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Oops sorry to disappoint. Ignore that for now. Newline stuff causes layout issues in IE6, which a lot of people still use. Regex will need a little bit more work!:( I'll keep trying.
Tue 25/03/08 at 18:33
"Are you sure?"
That's more like it!

I've only had a quick play but the code works now :¬)

Good work Eccles...
Tue 25/03/08 at 17:42
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Ok try giving Javascript a go when creating a standard page. It took some horrible regular expressions to get it to work but I copied and pasted your Adsense code into HTML mode and it displayed correctly. We have to clean out all line breaks (slash r and slash n) in normal content but not in Javascript, interesting.

Not sure I understand the reason for the footer problem but I'll look into it.
Tue 25/03/08 at 10:32
"Are you sure?"
It would certainly be nice to be able to use JavaScript - or at least know if you can't :¬)

Searching around I see that some blog s/w uses custom tags to insert the Adsense code.
i.e. minimal adsense code pasted here

But as JavaScript is used everywhere these days if would be nice to have free rein.

Also:
"When I type in the footer the text still 'breaks' around 672 pixels so something is definitely overriding things for me."

Can you check this out please?

My Freeola Instant Site
Mon 24/03/08 at 13:43
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Ok I'll have a think about Javascript code and allowing it in the editor. Maybe something needs to be added like 'Any malicous code added to pages will be removed'. We're looking at quite a few major code changes to the editor in the future to add many features.
Backup is pretty much the same as on out standard hosting. It's not there for people to rely on but rather for our peace of mind so the service doesn't completely disappear should something like a hardware failure occur.
We have though about providing some sort of backup service where you could download a file containing all your settings and pictures for example but this would require a lot of work and extensive testing.

Please remeber that the online editor is just that and not a full blow online version of Microsoft Word, it is very difficult to duplicate all the feature and get it to work exactly as Word users would expect. Javascript can be tricky to work with sometimes!
Mon 24/03/08 at 09:30
"Are you sure?"
Hi Eccles,
Just a quick reply for now...

It would be good to document some of this.

I spent quite a while trying to get my Javascript to stay put!
A message saying JS not allowed or JS removed etc. would help.
Someone in another post also asked about embedding a music player - I guess this is why they were having problems.

I read as much as I could see about Instant Sites - sorry if I missed stuff. You make a few mentions about being 'Google Adsense Compatible' perhaps you need to say somewhere 'only in designated places' unless you can open up pasting Adsense in the main content page?

When I type in the footer the text still 'breaks' around 672 pixels so something is definitely overriding things for me.

The backup situation should also be documented - it would be easy for people to spend a few days or more getting things just right, building galleries and adding content. If there should be a problem they should know where they stand.

I'll continue playing when I've got a moment...
My Freeola Instant Site
Sun 23/03/08 at 23:00
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Footer As far as I'm aware the width is just a recommendation that is all.

HTML Tricky to do but a good suggestion. Will lok into this.

Google Adsense Adsense code can only be used in a Skyscraper and not when building a normal page via the editor. The editor strips out invalid or disallowed syntax. CSE would have worked and it is in form tags and I have allowed that to enable people to use PayPal buttons.
Adsense code was tested from multiple Adsense accounts and the code has to be copied and pasted exactly as it is on the Adsense account to work. It's a tricky one as we can allow any old Javascript to be pasted here as we want to avoid malicous code. All we do is strip out the custom values and compare the code that is being pasted against the standard Adsense code. You will get a security wanring in IE for this as you are pasting a source to non-secure Javascript while in secure mode. Not a lot we can do about this as Google don't supply a secure version of their Adsense code like the do with Analytics.
We can just as you for the javascript values as according to Googles terms this isn't allowed.

Logo/banner Pretty sure this is just a caching issue. Each time you make a change to your site it causes the site cache to rebuild (it runs the Instant Site from cache so that viewers don't need to cause a load of SQL queries). Sometime the browser refuses to update what has been changed until it is refreshed, the browser cache is cleared or the browser is closed and reopened again.

Show/Hide paragraphs Will look into adding that. It would be useful!

Error Nothing to do with the actual action you were trying to perform but just a one of database connection error unfortunately. First one so far I think!

www This is going to change in the near future when we make several improvements to our DNS system.

Backups We do backups several times a day to a remote server. This is mainly for a full server disaster recovery but we would be able to restore individual Instant Sites if a customer asked us to. However, we do reserve the right to charge a nominal fee to do this.

Thanks for the very constructive feedback as always!
Sun 23/03/08 at 13:24
"Are you sure?"
My Google CSE seems to be working now.
I think once you've pasted code directly using the 'HTML code view' option it's quite easy for it to get altered when working on the rest of the page in normal view. Not sure why the updates didn't show for me even though they were saved. Using a new browser window seems to be more reliable than refreshing the current page.

Here are some of my 'observations' so far - let me know where I'm going wrong!

footer
The footer page recommends a width of 692 pixels.
I want the footer image to fill the width of my site so used 892 successfully. But text etc. still seems to be confined to 672!? I've tried 2 or 3 themes so I'm not sure if this has confused the code?

HTML view
It would be nice if the HTML view formatted the code rather than removing all the spaces.

Google Adsense
I've tried and failed to paste a simple Adsense block within one of my pages.
Used HTML view and pasted the required code. When I click 'update' nothing happens - this is because behind the HTML window is a security warning dialogue saying the page contains secure and non-secure items.
I accept this to return to the normal view but when I check, the Google code has gone.
NB. I also received this warning when I pasted my Google CSE FORM/SCRIPT but it saved the code.
This page (on my non-instant site) shows the code I'm trying to use.
No errors are issued but the code is removed.
I take it I'm 'allowed' to use Adsense within my page?
This is a page that should have the Adsense code: www.hmmm.myfreeola.com/testpage.html

I thought I would try using the same code on one of the Skyscrapers even though I don't want to actually use one. I pasted the Google code as requested and received *invalid google adsense code* and it wouldn't let me proceed. I tried limiting the width with the same results?

logo/banner
I found that even when I turned off the logo option for my current design www.hmmm.myfreeola.com a space was left above the banner. After turning banner/logo off and on a few times things started to work properly.

show/hide paragraphs
When using the normal editor/view it would be nice to have the option to see paragraph marks etc. [reverse P type thing].

error
received this when I was trying to delete a page:
"Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 65 in /usr/home/httpd/includes/database.func on line 36
Close this window and return to MyFreeola"
I unchecked the 'live' option and then deleted successfully.

To display my site which uses a myfreeola.com subdomain I have to include 'www' which is a bit old fashioned - my ip3 site works like this as well. Entering hmmm.myfreeola.com fails.
Could you change this to allow www and no-www like your 'real' sites please? I had some of my very old sites changed to allow this a few years back.

backups
For my 'real' websites I keep many backups. Can you say if Freeola are backing up Instant Sites in case of data loss and how often they are backed up? Or is there a customer backup facility that I haven't found yet?

That's all for now ;¬)
Sun 23/03/08 at 00:57
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Your search is working fine for me, not sure what you've updated so not sure if anything new is showing.
Haven't touched a thing, long weekend off!
Sat 22/03/08 at 19:18
"Are you sure?"
Hi Eccles,
I'll get back to you about my 'findings' when I get a moment - I'm making a list ;¬)

NB. I had my Freeola search engine running fine on my Instant Site until this afternoon - it's now stopped working?!?

Have 'you' stopped forms/scripts being pasted in the HTML?

I've given up for the day - but my latest updates aren't showing on the live site??? I've saved everything and refreshed my cache etc.

My Freeola Instant Site

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.