GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"problems, so many problems"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/05/02 at 15:43
Regular
Basically, I have completed Rogue Leader (I almost cried after that last level. Almost. And I got a silver) and now I’m looking for something to tide me over for the next few weeks, and something with multiplayer.
I just don’t know whether I should buy Super Monkey Ball now (I mean NOW), or wait till I have got bored with GTA3 on the PC (which I have ordered, but doesn’t come out for 2 weeks). I have enough money to buy SMB, but I don’t know whether I will just stop playing it when I get GTA3.

My only concern is that my GC controller has very defined ‘zones’ in which the control stick sits, and this makes it hard to keep the stick in between two of these ‘zones’. It’s very noticeable in Rogue Leader, making it a little bit hard to aim properly.
I know that SMB requires precise control, and was wondering if this inaccuracy might affect my enjoyment of the game.

I need a second controller also, and I was wondering if anyone with the Logic 3 Pro Pad can tell me whether their controller has these 'zones', or whether it is worth buying over the official one.
All replies appreciated.
Thu 16/05/02 at 18:36
Regular
"Baros!!!"
I think Super Monkey ball would be very hard if you were using the N64 controller
Thu 16/05/02 at 18:33
Regular
thegerrid,
i know what you mean about the 'zones' - even if nobody else does.

I'll try to expain it my way. You can move the analogue stick in all directions, but it moves slightly more freely directly forwards, backwards, left, right and 45 degree diagonals, grab a pad and try it to see yourself.
Now, when moving the control stick to be between two of these 'zones', 'channels' or whatever you want to call them, the control stick will have a slight tendancy to go into and move along these lines, as there is less resistance.

I think this is a subtle way to improve accuracy at moving in the 8 'main' directions without slightly drifting off, but this can sometoimes see slightly changing resistances, and tedndancy to move in the specified directions, making precises movements and small adjustments difficult to perform very accurately.

Hence it might affect lining up aim, or exercising extremely close control over your monkey ball slightly awkward at times.

Hope that was clearer.

However, going back towards the original post, having played pleanty of super monkey ball, i can assure you that the controlls really aren't a problem at all. Not with the official pad. You're definitely missing out if you don't buy this game.

Third party pads? I have one by the 4gamers brand, which is actually pretty good. The zones are less apparent on this, though only slightly, and it feels of reassuring quality. They stock them at argos, can't remember the price, but i'm sure their web site will tell you if anyone is considering buuying one.
Thu 16/05/02 at 17:53
The control stick is analog so there are no zones at latt it senses how far it has been pushed and thaat is it. the game may only sense certain possitions but i doubt it I would go and change the controler.
Thu 16/05/02 at 17:37
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
do you mean , the ball bit on the stick that you move (the little thumb rest) on the dreamcast that bit could turn about 90 degrees in each direction , if this is what you mean then ok , but i dont know what you mean by zones. Also inside the control , are two little sliding switch thingys (i like to take things apart ;-)) anyway , they looked as if they adjusted something i.e how responsive the control sticks are , or how much the rumble pack rumbles , but it did have left and right on them , so if that means the left and right control stick , then maybe it changes the configuration , i dont know , but i was too scared to try.

if you want to take out those tri-head screws that the gamecube has and the gba , and basically all nintendo products in general , just use a really small flat head screw driver , one that can fit easily in between the different angles on the screw and one that can get caught in between two of them so that you can undo them. buy a little presision screw driver set , and then use the smallest one , one of them is bound to work.
Thu 16/05/02 at 17:12
Regular
"bit of a brain"
evilist wrote:
> Super monkey ball is great. I bough it on monday, and it is a really
> good game. I have not noticed anything strange about the control
> stick, it seems perfectly smooth to me. When you move it around, there
> are some areas that seem to be more definate that others, almost like
> the points of a d-pad, but this has no effect on how the controller
> works when i play.
>
> Maybe you have a weak left thumb.

i've been playing games for ten years with my left thumb. this would make it stronger, it makes no difference what finger i use, even when the 'cube is off, it's the same.
Wed 15/05/02 at 15:07
Regular
">:)"
Super monkey ball is great. I bough it on monday, and it is a really good game. I have not noticed anything strange about the control stick, it seems perfectly smooth to me. When you move it around, there are some areas that seem to be more definate that others, almost like the points of a d-pad, but this has no effect on how the controller works when i play.

Maybe you have a weak left thumb.
Mon 13/05/02 at 20:15
Regular
"bit of a brain"
no, you ,misunderstand me. the 'zones' are actually physically on the stick well. i don't think that specific games can change the movement of the stick. is my controller just rubbish.
Mon 13/05/02 at 18:58
i think its rogue leader thats usin the analogue stick in zones, not the pad, cos i've only noticed that in rogue leader and not in XG3 which i also have.
Sun 12/05/02 at 20:33
Regular
"bit of a brain"
well done for answering my question properly.
i don't like SSBM becuase i don't
Sun 12/05/02 at 20:29
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Get Super Monkey Ball or wait for super smash bros melee both of these will last ages!!!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.