GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Smash Bros Brawl - Best Game Ever?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Super Smash Bros. Brawl'.
Thu 14/02/08 at 14:13
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I don't own the game but was very lucky enough to get a few goes on my friends copy. (He imported the Japanese version.) All i can say is "Wow!" It is incredibly fun. I only tried out the multiplayer portion of the game but somehow it is even better than Melee. If you don't want to see spoilers then look away... now!

Of course I first tried out Sonic as soon as I got my hands on a control and wow is he fast. He fits in perfectly and his Smash move while extremely hard to control is very powerful. (He turns into Super Sonic and flies all over the stage) Then I went back to my old veteran favourite Mario. He's pretty much the same with a new FLUDD pack that simply shoots water at people that can be useful I guess given practice. His Smash move is a simple huge fireball that engulfs the entire stage. Fun!

Of the stages we tried I loved the simple battlefield. Playing Melee's remixed menu music and built with no obstacles other than other brawlers I have to say I preferred this to some of the more hectic levels. Another great level was Luigi's Mansion. Hitting pillars and walls too much resulted in the actual building to collapse in certain places. Plus the music taken straight from the game was awesome.

The game handles pretty much the same as Melee and I only used the Gamecube pad. After hearing bad things about the Wii remote control method I decided to ignore it. The music is something that I was looking forward to and after hearing from my mate how many tracks were in the game my jaw dropped.

Over 250 music tracks, over 500 trophies and even more stickers! That sounds like a freaking lot.

I didn't really get to see too much but am going to go back tomorrow for another go so can post more impressions then.
Tue 03/02/09 at 14:57
Regular
I love this game.
Dont slate it if you havent played it! Yes SSBM could have been better but the new one is a massive improvement,
Also, Mariokart is absolutely fantastic, online feature is great and there are plenty of fantastic tracks and characters.

Anyone here played Super Mario Galaxy? If not, dont bother. ITS RUBBISH. Dodgy copy of super mario sunshine. where sunshine is great, galaxy sucks beyond belief.
Sun 16/03/08 at 16:15
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Have a copy of the game myself now and with a much longer time to try it out I can really appreciate everything in the game. My characters of choice are Mario, Diddy Kong, Fox, Sonic & Pokemon Trainer. Anyone out there tried the game yet?
Thu 13/03/08 at 22:39
Regular
I've played it and it's teh lush!

Thankfully the GameCube controls are pretty much the same as on Melee so was easy to pick up.

I've only done the main melee/brawl mode on multiplayer so far but the new features make battling a lot more entertaining!

I still rate Melee as one of my favourite games...Brawl however does (almost) everything Melee did...and a lot more too!
Sun 24/02/08 at 17:48
Regular
Everpain wrote:
> Also note the irony that I'm not allowed to slate it without
> having played it, but that doesn't stop you guys having wet
> dreams about it.

Yeah, but we at least have some real knowledge on the game whereas you're just spouting general crap out of your mouth for no apparent reason.

Button masher? I doubt anyone who's played the game for more than five minutes would ever call it that.
Sun 24/02/08 at 13:24
Regular
"Author of Pain"
I think the fact tht the first one was crap and that the second looks pretty much the same is more than justification for dismissing it. It was little more than a button bashing bonanza. A kids game.

If there is no wavy stick action, then I can't see what they will have added to the gamecbe version that will improve it.

Also note the irony that I'm not allowed to slate it without having played it, but that doesn't stop you guys having wet dreams about it.
Sun 24/02/08 at 12:52
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I'm not totally dismissing it, I just find it funny you're saying it's rubbish when you haven't even played it. And Etchy is right you don't wave at all in this game. It's standard control.

By the way Mario Kart Wii got a release date over here for 11th April apparently because we haven't got Brawl yet. You guys reckon it's a good trade off? Personally after playing Brawl I want this more but Mario Kart is still better than nothing. I just hope it's more like DS rather than Double Dash.
Sat 23/02/08 at 10:25
Regular
Almost as genius as the strong opinion you put forth with no real reasoning behind it.

Also, the "wavy stick" is not required.
Sat 23/02/08 at 10:06
Regular
"Author of Pain"
Ghost Killer wrote:
> I appreciate anyones opinion as much as the next person but
> saying it's just crap when reviews nearly everywhere praised
> Melee and when you probably haven't even played Brawl is kind of
> stupid.

You appreciate my opinion, but dismiss it out of hand because it doesn't fit with your own?

Genius.
Mon 18/02/08 at 16:06
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Well I've heard quite a nice selection of songs and honestly I think they are great. Some are just copies from past games while others are updated remixes and some of them are incredibly cool whilst some aren't so much. I'll just list some tracks that I heard and remember that were and weren't remixed. Spoilers so look away now.

Mario Kart
Rainbow Road from Mario Kart Double Dash (original)
Mario Circuit from Super Mario Kart (remix)

Sonic
Green Hill Zone (original)
Sonic heroes theme (original)
Angel Island Zone from Sonic 3 (remix, and oh my what an awesome remix it is)

Donkey Kong
If i remember rightly the music from the final boss (King K Rool) in Donkey Kong Country (not sure but think it was a remix)
Level from Donkey Kong Country 2 (Stickerbrush something I think. Remixed but sadly not as good I don't think)
The jungle level music from Country again (remix)

Starfox
Music from opening level of Starfox Assault (original)
Starfox main theme (remix I'm guessing)

Obviously there were more but these ones stuck out for me. Plus my memory ain't so hot and I recognised some songs but couldn't bring names to mind. The menu music however is great! It really sets the tone of the game and gets you ready for the next battle.
Sun 17/02/08 at 15:48
Regular
Is the music as good as I've dreamt it to be?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.