GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"OK, you tell me then."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/05/02 at 18:40
Regular
I believe I have made it relatively clear in the majority of my computer-based posts that I am a huge PC fan. Dunno why really - I guess I just like the sheer power of a 1.6 Ghz processor.

Now, people are constantly telling me that a PC sux (or the nearest equivalent). Personally, I don't agree. However, I am beginning to consider purchasing a console for myself.

What I'd like to know (without this degrading in to a slagging-off match) is which console would suit me the most. As a bit of background:

I'm in to Star Wars big-time.
I love first-person shooters, strategies and RPGs (yeah, the sad teenager thing)
I've got a DVD drive, so that doesn't figure in console purchase.

Recently, I have become intrigued by the graphics on a PS2 - they are almost as good as a PC. To be honest, I think I'm leaning in the PS2s general direction...maybe enough to fork out loadsa money.

Anyone out there agree, or should I just stick with a monster PC?
Thu 09/05/02 at 12:00
Regular
"cant think of one.."
FFX, PS2... thats all you need to know.
Thu 09/05/02 at 11:53
Regular
Not that I in anyway know who you are SF, but if you happen to be round with my bro sometime, I`m sure he can give you a demo of plenty of top PS2 games - GT3, MGS2, GTA3, THPS3, Tricky and a load of others. For RPGs, I`m hoping to get FFX soon, and on the subject of first person shooters, you know how good TimeSplitters is... and there will be a TimeSplitters 2 arriving this year. As for Star Wars, there`s already Jedi Starfighter, as well as the two titles Matty mentioned which should arrive soon (I think he mentioned them in the topic labelled "Star Wars").

However, if you do decide on a PS2... wait a little while as many say a price drop is imminent.
Thu 09/05/02 at 10:33
Yea it might be cell shaded or realistic type graphics cell shading is graphics like the sublime jet set radio. And I can normally sort out pc games out myself I only buy star trek games for my pc now
Thu 09/05/02 at 10:23
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Small Frog wrote:
>
> I adored Zelda on both GB and N64 - so that definately figures - are
> they bringing out a new Zelda for GC?

They certainly are but not for a while yet - apparantley there is controversy with it because Nintendo have changed the look of Link, I'm sure somebody will know more about that.
Thu 09/05/02 at 10:10
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
Cheers for that - I have to agree with the Obi-Wan pointer. I was absolutely livid when I discovered that it wasn't coming out on PC.

I adored Zelda on both GB and N64 - so that definately figures - are they bringing out a new Zelda for GC?

I also agree with the 'no installing required' thing - that is an attraction of consoles, although I am generally capable of sorting out any problems my own PC has.

I guess it's just a case of matching my budget with the games available. Thanks a lot, you guys...
Thu 09/05/02 at 10:06
Hi frog To be honest I am suprised by the amount of intelligent answers in here this fourums seems to of chucked out the fanboys which is nice.

With your fav type of games comes the problem.

Star Wars games always seem the best on the gc but as NH said there is a small cataglogue of games at the moment.

If you like RPG'S you cant go wrong on all 3 really there is Morrowind for x-box (though you might want it on the pc)

Zelda whatever form that takes on the gc

And FFX on the ps2

As for 1st person shooters x-box is the way to go they have halo MOH though you probs have it and Unreal Championship . the good thing about consoles is no installing :)

Also there is Obi-Wan on x-box I have to say I like it though most people wont like it cos they have JK2

Also if you were impressed with the graphics on the ps2 then prepare to be shocked at the graphics on the x-box The water effect are sublime.

I cant really judge on the GC cos I only played Luigi's Mansion :S not good in my honest opinion.

And before console wars spring up I have a ps2 and I will be getting a gc but in the end its all up to you I guess
Thu 09/05/02 at 09:57
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
I know - when I had just the one PC, it was all cold and quiet.

Now that I have two of them networked together, they hum along in harmony with each other. The MegaDrive, on the other hand, is slowly collecting dust in the attic, where it belongs. Hah.
Thu 09/05/02 at 09:54
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
No worries - Ive just bought a GC and it sits next to my PS2 quite happily. No bickering or anything like that, they just seem to enjoy each others company, I suppose it must be a lonely old existence being a poor old console all by yourself :-)
Thu 09/05/02 at 09:50
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
Cheers for that, nh. A well-produced and intelligent post there :)

To be honest, I wasn't hugely impressed with Rogue Leader - it wasn't a patch on Jedi Knight 2.

Sports games have no appeal to me at all - and that's something I hadn't taken in to consideration when looking at the PS2.

Regarding the X-Box, I haven't been overly impressed with what I've seen of it so far - Halo has far superior contempories on other platforms.

Reconsidering the Gamecube now - their price seems very appealing to someone with a pocket as empty as mine!
Thu 09/05/02 at 09:41
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Forget about which console you want, all three are great in their own right.

Think about the games you want to play instead.

If you really are a huge star wars fan then the best star wars game yet has just been released on GC, but only just coming out the catalogue to choose from is small at the mo. Though there are plenty of good games on the horizon.

If you like FPS games then the best is on X-Box but at the moment there are only three must have games available and the release schedule is not exactly full of triple a titles. I would personally leave this one for a good six months to see which way it goes.

If you like Football games then there is only one game to go for and that is obviously Pro Evo on the PS2. The PS2 alos gives you the greatest selection of games due to the length of time it has been here already. Dont be fooled though, most people will agree on a list of about a dozen must have games, there is already a lot of rubbish out there to steer well away from.

Hope that helps :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.