GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ok, Gamecube first impressions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/05/02 at 19:29
Regular
Controllers lovely, looks lovely, logo is smoothly animated annoying sound effects on it... and the menu system is fantastic.

Right, got that out of the way, now onto games.

Rogue Leader is... well... fantastic.

The graphics really are the most amazing I've ever seen, and the damn thing is silky smooth ALL the time. The longest I've had to wait for something to load is four seconds, which I still can't believe.

Gameplay? Fantastic. Even without the graphics or Star Wars license it's a fun little game. And while the ground levels are ok, and nice and all... it's the space battles that I really love. The detail in the backgrounds makes it difficult to actually concentrate on shooting things, and you just kinda stare into it, and watch as four Ties come up behind you and pummle your Y-Wing.

The only real problem I have is more my fault that anyones. I have poorish eyesight, and I find it difficult to see the Tie's floating around... I know I'm supposed to use the targetting computer and all, but I just say, you know, it's ok, I'm alright.

(Nobody's going to get that.)

I know.

Music isn't really that good... perhaps it's just my speaker system, but the instruments seem a little... clinky. Must get surround sound.

And... that's about it. Other than that it's fantastic.

----------

I never had high hopes for Luigi's Mansion. I knew it was going to suck... but hey, I didn't have to pay for it, thanks SR. :0)

But oddly enough, it doesn't suck. Well Luigi does, but that's the whole point. I bet you anything if this wins gad that's the line that will be quoted. :0D

Anywho. It's really actually good fun. The vacumning thing does take... some... skill... And I've died a few times, so it's not really a childishy baby game. Not saying it's not hard, just not too easy. Some of the puzzles are fantastic... not hard, just make you smile.

And without a doubt the best animation I've ever seen ever, film or otherwise. The way you can suck at curtains or table clothes, and drag them away... just everything about it is incredibly detailed and beautiful. And it just happens to be fun too. :0)

But it's short. I've nearly completed it now... which does annoy me, but I do have the urge to play it again after I've finished, which is nice. If I had bought it... I'd be a bit bothered about it, to be honest. It's far too short to be worth the price, but still, excellent fun while it lasts.

So, rent it, or win it. :0) Don't buy.

------------

Super Monkey Ball!

Super damn Monkey Ball!

It's ok. Pretty good fun, the music suits it well, damn fast game. Must play more so I can unlock stuff.

It's a skill based game... so if you're the type that prefers games where you have to perfect yourself, and be the best, then this is for you. Fans of racing games will love this.

But it's cool, yes. Monkey sky diving has disappointed me, because I was hoping you would jump out of a plane, and go down... but you actually just kinda glide straight along. See, if I made games, I'd make them better.

I should play it more really, but Luigi's Mansion and Rogue Leader are taking up my time at the moment.

-----------------

Sonic Adventure 2.

I read somewhere that it had "serious camera problems".

I thought: "Hey, you know... I don't mind so much... Sonic Adventure 1 was ok."

SA 2 is worse.

It's horrible. You can't see anything, you can't do anything. The camera just points where it wants to, and you're supposed to pick loads of stuff up really quickly, but you can hardly ever see it. Run back, and you'll vanish. It really is quite bad.

I did the first Sonic level, went to the Chao garden, then saved and left it. Not fun. I'll give it another go later.

------------

All in all, actually much more pleased than I'd hoped. Rogue Leader and Luigi's Mansion are much better than I thought, Monkey Ball's sky diving isn't as good as I would have made it, but still pretty fun, and Sonic 2 sucks, because it's so linear.

But still very pleased. Looking forward to more games, but Rogue Leader and Luigi's Mansion will keep me going for a long time. Then when I complete Luigi's [Rogue Leader is going to take AGES], I'll get going with Monkey Ball.

And then Pikmin and Smash Bros are coming anyway.

Here's to the future.

Dringo.
Sun 12/05/02 at 11:41
Regular
Hmmm, I think the majority of Gamecube owners wouldn't know what to do with breasts anyway, which is nice.
Sun 12/05/02 at 10:25
"possibly impossible"
Protoss wrote:
> Rogue Leader rules but Super Smash Bros Melee is gonna be the
> (.)(.)...

SSBM is going to be the breasts?

hmmm...
Sat 11/05/02 at 23:02
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Yup, Rogue Leader is absolutely fantastic.

I completed it today and unlocked the first bonus mission. Although I don't have one gold! All the levels seem impossible to get gold on.

I got Gold on every level in Rogue Squadron and that took me AGES!

Anyway, I got Wave Race today as well and taht is brilliant! The graphics are so good. Without a doubt the best water in ANY video game.

Splashdown's water may have looked nice, but there was only ONE point in the entire game where there were waves and they didn't look too good.
Sat 11/05/02 at 22:01
Regular
Agreed with that tiltbloke.
Sat 11/05/02 at 21:29
Regular
I had it on Dreamcast it really does suck, the first Sonic Adventure was better even though that was pretty shoddy.
Sat 11/05/02 at 21:27
Regular
Strafex wrote:
> Question for anyone with Sonic Adventure 2.

>
> If anyone's had the chance to play it in multiplayer, is it any good?

Only 2 player.

Crap.

dont buy it.

Rent it first if you are really interested. Multiplayer sucks.
Sat 11/05/02 at 21:20
Regular
Gamecube has surpassed all my expectations, I was wondering for a while if I was growing out of games but then I got a Cube. Rogue Leader is a work of God well okayt it's a work of Lucas Arts but it really is that damn good, the Battle of Endor level blows me away everytime I play it.

If you haven't got a Cube me thinks you'd do well to purchase one, I love mine it funning rules.
Sat 11/05/02 at 14:51
"Mimmargh!"
Rogue Leader rules but Super Smash Bros Melee is gonna be the (.)(.)...
Sat 11/05/02 at 14:49
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Bloody hell, I can't wait to get my GC, but I have to sell my PSone to make room for it in my bedroom. I want to play rogue leader so much since I've heard very good things about it, and haven't played a star wars combat game in ages.
Fri 10/05/02 at 20:46
Regular
"everyone says it"
Gamecube is amazing.

Games rules. Cubes rule. It rules. I rule. You rule.

*kisses*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.