GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ok, Gamecube first impressions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/05/02 at 19:29
Regular
Controllers lovely, looks lovely, logo is smoothly animated annoying sound effects on it... and the menu system is fantastic.

Right, got that out of the way, now onto games.

Rogue Leader is... well... fantastic.

The graphics really are the most amazing I've ever seen, and the damn thing is silky smooth ALL the time. The longest I've had to wait for something to load is four seconds, which I still can't believe.

Gameplay? Fantastic. Even without the graphics or Star Wars license it's a fun little game. And while the ground levels are ok, and nice and all... it's the space battles that I really love. The detail in the backgrounds makes it difficult to actually concentrate on shooting things, and you just kinda stare into it, and watch as four Ties come up behind you and pummle your Y-Wing.

The only real problem I have is more my fault that anyones. I have poorish eyesight, and I find it difficult to see the Tie's floating around... I know I'm supposed to use the targetting computer and all, but I just say, you know, it's ok, I'm alright.

(Nobody's going to get that.)

I know.

Music isn't really that good... perhaps it's just my speaker system, but the instruments seem a little... clinky. Must get surround sound.

And... that's about it. Other than that it's fantastic.

----------

I never had high hopes for Luigi's Mansion. I knew it was going to suck... but hey, I didn't have to pay for it, thanks SR. :0)

But oddly enough, it doesn't suck. Well Luigi does, but that's the whole point. I bet you anything if this wins gad that's the line that will be quoted. :0D

Anywho. It's really actually good fun. The vacumning thing does take... some... skill... And I've died a few times, so it's not really a childishy baby game. Not saying it's not hard, just not too easy. Some of the puzzles are fantastic... not hard, just make you smile.

And without a doubt the best animation I've ever seen ever, film or otherwise. The way you can suck at curtains or table clothes, and drag them away... just everything about it is incredibly detailed and beautiful. And it just happens to be fun too. :0)

But it's short. I've nearly completed it now... which does annoy me, but I do have the urge to play it again after I've finished, which is nice. If I had bought it... I'd be a bit bothered about it, to be honest. It's far too short to be worth the price, but still, excellent fun while it lasts.

So, rent it, or win it. :0) Don't buy.

------------

Super Monkey Ball!

Super damn Monkey Ball!

It's ok. Pretty good fun, the music suits it well, damn fast game. Must play more so I can unlock stuff.

It's a skill based game... so if you're the type that prefers games where you have to perfect yourself, and be the best, then this is for you. Fans of racing games will love this.

But it's cool, yes. Monkey sky diving has disappointed me, because I was hoping you would jump out of a plane, and go down... but you actually just kinda glide straight along. See, if I made games, I'd make them better.

I should play it more really, but Luigi's Mansion and Rogue Leader are taking up my time at the moment.

-----------------

Sonic Adventure 2.

I read somewhere that it had "serious camera problems".

I thought: "Hey, you know... I don't mind so much... Sonic Adventure 1 was ok."

SA 2 is worse.

It's horrible. You can't see anything, you can't do anything. The camera just points where it wants to, and you're supposed to pick loads of stuff up really quickly, but you can hardly ever see it. Run back, and you'll vanish. It really is quite bad.

I did the first Sonic level, went to the Chao garden, then saved and left it. Not fun. I'll give it another go later.

------------

All in all, actually much more pleased than I'd hoped. Rogue Leader and Luigi's Mansion are much better than I thought, Monkey Ball's sky diving isn't as good as I would have made it, but still pretty fun, and Sonic 2 sucks, because it's so linear.

But still very pleased. Looking forward to more games, but Rogue Leader and Luigi's Mansion will keep me going for a long time. Then when I complete Luigi's [Rogue Leader is going to take AGES], I'll get going with Monkey Ball.

And then Pikmin and Smash Bros are coming anyway.

Here's to the future.

Dringo.
Mon 06/05/02 at 19:29
Regular
Controllers lovely, looks lovely, logo is smoothly animated annoying sound effects on it... and the menu system is fantastic.

Right, got that out of the way, now onto games.

Rogue Leader is... well... fantastic.

The graphics really are the most amazing I've ever seen, and the damn thing is silky smooth ALL the time. The longest I've had to wait for something to load is four seconds, which I still can't believe.

Gameplay? Fantastic. Even without the graphics or Star Wars license it's a fun little game. And while the ground levels are ok, and nice and all... it's the space battles that I really love. The detail in the backgrounds makes it difficult to actually concentrate on shooting things, and you just kinda stare into it, and watch as four Ties come up behind you and pummle your Y-Wing.

The only real problem I have is more my fault that anyones. I have poorish eyesight, and I find it difficult to see the Tie's floating around... I know I'm supposed to use the targetting computer and all, but I just say, you know, it's ok, I'm alright.

(Nobody's going to get that.)

I know.

Music isn't really that good... perhaps it's just my speaker system, but the instruments seem a little... clinky. Must get surround sound.

And... that's about it. Other than that it's fantastic.

----------

I never had high hopes for Luigi's Mansion. I knew it was going to suck... but hey, I didn't have to pay for it, thanks SR. :0)

But oddly enough, it doesn't suck. Well Luigi does, but that's the whole point. I bet you anything if this wins gad that's the line that will be quoted. :0D

Anywho. It's really actually good fun. The vacumning thing does take... some... skill... And I've died a few times, so it's not really a childishy baby game. Not saying it's not hard, just not too easy. Some of the puzzles are fantastic... not hard, just make you smile.

And without a doubt the best animation I've ever seen ever, film or otherwise. The way you can suck at curtains or table clothes, and drag them away... just everything about it is incredibly detailed and beautiful. And it just happens to be fun too. :0)

But it's short. I've nearly completed it now... which does annoy me, but I do have the urge to play it again after I've finished, which is nice. If I had bought it... I'd be a bit bothered about it, to be honest. It's far too short to be worth the price, but still, excellent fun while it lasts.

So, rent it, or win it. :0) Don't buy.

------------

Super Monkey Ball!

Super damn Monkey Ball!

It's ok. Pretty good fun, the music suits it well, damn fast game. Must play more so I can unlock stuff.

It's a skill based game... so if you're the type that prefers games where you have to perfect yourself, and be the best, then this is for you. Fans of racing games will love this.

But it's cool, yes. Monkey sky diving has disappointed me, because I was hoping you would jump out of a plane, and go down... but you actually just kinda glide straight along. See, if I made games, I'd make them better.

I should play it more really, but Luigi's Mansion and Rogue Leader are taking up my time at the moment.

-----------------

Sonic Adventure 2.

I read somewhere that it had "serious camera problems".

I thought: "Hey, you know... I don't mind so much... Sonic Adventure 1 was ok."

SA 2 is worse.

It's horrible. You can't see anything, you can't do anything. The camera just points where it wants to, and you're supposed to pick loads of stuff up really quickly, but you can hardly ever see it. Run back, and you'll vanish. It really is quite bad.

I did the first Sonic level, went to the Chao garden, then saved and left it. Not fun. I'll give it another go later.

------------

All in all, actually much more pleased than I'd hoped. Rogue Leader and Luigi's Mansion are much better than I thought, Monkey Ball's sky diving isn't as good as I would have made it, but still pretty fun, and Sonic 2 sucks, because it's so linear.

But still very pleased. Looking forward to more games, but Rogue Leader and Luigi's Mansion will keep me going for a long time. Then when I complete Luigi's [Rogue Leader is going to take AGES], I'll get going with Monkey Ball.

And then Pikmin and Smash Bros are coming anyway.

Here's to the future.

Dringo.
Mon 06/05/02 at 19:35
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Chuckle.

Although, you've got tobe more enthusiastic and less... literate.
Mon 06/05/02 at 19:36
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Nice.

All this talk makes me want one more and more each time.
Mon 06/05/02 at 19:47
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Chuckle.

Although, you've got tobe more enthusiastic and less... literate.
Mon 06/05/02 at 19:51
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Nah, enthusiasm is bad. Tell it like it is, no more no less. That's what I look for in a decent review.

Ah yes, speaking of tie's, I must find mine for the formal dinner on friday...
Mon 06/05/02 at 20:08
Regular
lol at the implication of "tie fighter".

*struggles with loop knot* DAMN THING!
Mon 06/05/02 at 20:13
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Cel-Damage rocks!

I didn't actually want this game, but my God, i'm glad i've got it. It's sooooooooo much fun! Mix Mario Kart with Twisted Metal: Black, cell-shade it all, and you've got an amazing title.

Granted, you need at least two players to get the most out of it, preferably four, but the game is ace anyway.

What I can't fathom is how on earth they've coded such a good game... you punch a car with a boxing glove out of your car, and it bends!!! The whole concept is simple, yet more fun that I could ever imagine.

If you have a spare 40 quid, GET THIS GAME!

If it doesn't click, you can always send it back to SR... but I guarantee that if you get 3 mates round, or use your brethren - the fun is endless. I would honestly put this in the same 'Multi-Player Fun' catagory as Melee and Monkey Ball... it's that good. There are only about 10 characters, but it's not as if it makes much difference.

CEL DAMAGE - Get it.

----------------------------------------

I got Monkey Ball as well which is good. The main game isn't bad, and the levels designs are a lot clever than you'd think. The mini-games aren't bad wither. Billiards is 9-Ball pool, so that rocks. You can do all the tricks like banks, screw-balls, cannons and kicks... it's actually very well made. Bowling is also good, but hard to learn and easy to master - you'll tire quickly. Golf is good.

Party games aren't bad either... Race is quality. Fight is quite hectic, and it'll provoke lots of laughter... Monkey Target - 'Skydiving' - Is good, but it's more like Hand-gliding. It's good the way it is (in my opinion) because you have to take more into consideration - The Wind, Your Speed, The Obstacles and the layout of the lading area. Plane-Jumping, like Grix described would be fun, but I wouldn't have thought you'd have as much to worry about, therefore making the game too simple. This way, you have to get the timing speed and position just right.

It's a good game, but very much a party game... if you're flying solo and only have one pad, you might be best with another game, added to which Monkey Ball 2 is coming out around Christmas and it'll have all Monkey Ball 1 games and MORE! If you can do without monkey madness for the time being, or you want something else more, you might as well wait for SMB 2!

-----------------------------------------------

Luigi's Mansion is good, but VERY repetitive... the puzzles, as Grix said, are very clever. The graphics are second only to Rogue Leader and the sound is amazing. Luigi's interaction with the music and the ghosts is amazing... the dev team have got the atmosphere down to a science!

It's not too long, but if you play it a couple of times a week it'll hold until PIKMIN arrives, which if play as much might just suffice until Mario Comes.

By the way, if you haven't seen the Mario Sunshine Box-Art, you should find it here... although I do question whether it's official:

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=GC&title=102190

---------------------------------------------------

The hardware itself is amazing, and it's a VERY, VERY decent piece of kit for the price. Give the games 'til christmas - when we'll have Mario, ED, PIKMIN, Melee, WM-X8, Turok and maybe StarFox and GameCube will be well on its way!

If you haven't got one, there's no rush... but for the price, there's no point on missing out, even if you only buy 15 games through it's whole life-time!

Game
Mon 06/05/02 at 20:18
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Sorry - for the Super Mario Sunshine Box-Art, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE use the following link:

http://www.play.com/covers/102190m.jpg
Mon 06/05/02 at 20:23
"possibly impossible"
Rogue Leader has some excellent sound effects with a surround system. In the options screen you even get a nice little item that tests your surround setup by buzzing a Tie Fighter around your room! (it's in the extras option by the way).

Grix, you really do need to get surround to witness this game in all its glory. You'll also find that the Nintendo voice on the start of Luigi's mansion spookily goes from the front of your room to the back and it sounds great! Pity the rest of the game doesn't use it.

Super Monkey Ball is fantastic, true. The Monkey Target game is better with lots of players as it pushes you further to make those leaps to the platforms further away. The unlockable Monkey Golf steals the multi-player show though, who needs a golf game after playing this?!

Bloody Roar Extreme is very nice too, but I have only been playing that in the shop (admittedly for a long time!).
Tue 07/05/02 at 00:22
Regular
Heh, everyone seems to have thier own different fave mini-game on Monkey Ball. Me and my brother cant get enough of Monkey Bowling and Monkey Target.

Although I'm dissapointed not to have heard a single good thing about Sonic. I've got it coming through the post in the morning. Everything about it from every source seems to be bad...real bad...I ordered it on the basis of thinking "its a sonic game! it cant be that bad!" I'm not putting my hopes up too high for it then...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.