GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why the Dreamcast failed...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 05/05/02 at 12:19
Regular
I have no idea but anyway after having my Dreamcast for about 3 Months I have decided to sell it. Not really my cup of tea the games aren't intresting enough, sure there's some quality games but there aren't enough to warrant me keeping it.

Shenmue was amazing, Jet Set Radio was great while it lasted, Crazy Taxi was ummm short, Sonic Adventure was fun for 5 minutes and the rest where unspeakably boring.

Anyway, anyone want a Dreamcast for £80 with 19 games and a hell of a lot of other stuff?
Thu 08/05/03 at 11:31
Regular
"8==="
didn't most of those turn up too late? I seem to remember shenmue being released after sega stopped making DCs. What I basically was trying to say was the general perception of the DC was that it was 'arcadey'.
Thu 08/05/03 at 00:33
"I love yo... lamp."
Yes MSR, Shenmue, Sega GT, Grandia, Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online. All too arcadey.

It was less arcadey than the PS. At least its arade ports were all top notch.
Wed 07/05/03 at 21:43
Regular
"8==="
why the dreamcast failed? Too arcadey wasn't it? it had too many games which were good to play for 20 pence but not worth paying 30 quid for.

Soul fighter, incoming, royal rumble, ready to rumble, virtua fighter and star war ep 1 racer were all suited to the arcades. I own the damn things and i've only played em all about three times each. even the dreamcast version of unreal and quake were too short. At least it had good rpgs but i guess it was too little too late considered the risk of selling the console at a loss and hoping to sell enough games.

Still, i still got mine.
Mon 28/04/03 at 01:50
"I love yo... lamp."
For anyone stuck in MSR. Use the Astra coupe until you get the audi TT. They are the 2 cars that will last you all the way through the game. Practice courses before you race them. you are better to use footbrake rather than the handbrake. Be a bit riskier than CPU cars, i.e go into corners a bit faster than them. Avoid using rear wheel drive cars. They are hellish. Try to avoid hitting things. I know it sounds obvious, but better to brake and slow down than to hit something and come to a full stop.

The astra coupe, which if i remember rightly you get in chapter 2, is a great car. I have managed to beat some of the races in the last chapter using it. Yes that is the 5 skylines! The TT handles wonderfully being 4 whell drive. Once you can get it, due to its superior speed, replace the astra. The TT only starts to really be a challenge to win with by around chapter 19.

Until Project Gotham Racing, MSR was simply the greatest racing game ever.
PGR is technically the better, but I think the thrill I got from MSR was bigger.

P.S. To rack up lots of kudos, in a hotlap track where you have 5 or whatever laps to beat a time of 1:30 or whatever, beat the time, then just go back and forward along a section of track stunting. You will rack up lots of kudos. More if you use a joker. Its a bit of a cheat but it makes you feel good. When you get bored of repetitively stunting on the same stretch or a track finish normally.
Thu 24/04/03 at 18:09
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Just don't crash

You'll eventually learn to visually judge your approach speed into corners, and you'll find yourself getting exponentially better. After chapter 3 it's all downhill, but I think I'm on chapter 5 against someone in Tokyo 1v1 and he's nearly impossible >:O/ I don't need to even race him to get the kudos but I don't want to leave it.
Mon 21/04/03 at 11:00
Regular
"All about the Beats"
pezking wrote:
> ok. but i genuinely am like really stuck, i think it's cos i'm not
> good enough at it, which is odd as i am a bit of a Saturn Sega Rally
> god if i do say so myself. how exactly do you take corners?

Try and power slide every corner, to gain Kudos. And use Jokers on races where you win loads of Kudos (i.e where you have to do a lap in a certain time, get the lap time in like the first few laps, then you can power slide everywhere for as long as you want gaining
Kudos, cause you already reached the lap time and it doesnt matter about the other lap times)

Try gamefaqs.com too or here of course ;-)
Sun 20/04/03 at 23:53
Regular
"going underground"
ok. but i genuinely am like really stuck, i think it's cos i'm not good enough at it, which is odd as i am a bit of a Saturn Sega Rally god if i do say so myself. how exactly do you take corners?
Fri 18/04/03 at 12:10
Regular
"All about the Beats"
pezking wrote:
> beh... i thought MSR was boring... but i could never get past Chapter
> 3

Yer i was hard at first, but when you get to like chapter 5, you do one race and like 2 chapters opens at the same time, cuase you have enough Kudos.

I was at the stage where you were, having to win everyrace to open up a chapter was boring. But soon enough the roll started rolling and unlocking cars left right and centre!
Fri 18/04/03 at 11:20
Regular
"going underground"
beh... i thought MSR was boring... but i could never get past Chapter 3
Tue 15/04/03 at 11:12
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Miserableman wrote:
> I think the pair of you are loonies. How can you say the likes of MSR
> is 'unspeakably boring'? Do you even like videogames?
>
> I'm still buying games for my Dreamcast. Skies of Arcadia arrived from
> an ebay purchase today, next on the shopping list is Headhunter. My
> GameCube game collection will do well to ever get within striking
> distance of my DC collection, which probably surpasses my N64 and SNES
> collections. It may well be the best console I ever own, and the best
> you ever get rid of :O/

Agrees

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.