GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game for the Name"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/05/02 at 16:11
Regular
Do you game for the name? What I mean by this is, that do you play a game because a certain developer makes it? Or, do you play a game because of its name? I have noticed when reading a magazine or talking to some of my friend that they think a game is automatically good because a developer that is well know has made it, or do you automatically play a game because the name is catchy, or well known?

It you look at a certain developer and see what kind of games that they have made and the quality of them, they will automatically get a good reputation with the buyers and the critics. But when they make a game, that isn’t up to the standard that precedes them, you still might think it’s good because they have made it. I think a lot of supposed ‘gamers’ do this, as they think that if a developer makes a game, and here well known they will think it’s good. Weird.

The FIFA series is a good example of this. They come out every year and to be honest, there practically the same apart from the graphics have been enhanced. The gameplay is the same as always, the controls might change, but certainly not for the best and the way the players look and move is still the same. But, in spite of all this, I know for a fact that it is still one of the most popular games around. I can constantly hear my friends talking about how good the new (but still the same old game) FIFA game is.

I have known people that hear about a games name and automatically think that the game itself is going to be as good as the name. Take State of Emergency. I know for a fact that everyone thinks it’s a really good game. Now, is it the name of the game that attracts people, or is it because of the violence in it? I have hear people everywhere talking about how good it was, when really they had heard or read nothing about it, because they didn’t know what the actual game was about, all they know about the game is the name sounds good, and from what they had seen of it, it looks okay too. I think that is where people who play computer games, that consider themselves to be ‘gamers’ go in the wrong direction, as they rate a game by its graphics.

I have noticed that games that have a film license always do well, whether it is a Disney film/game or a James Bond film/game. Whatever the actual game is like, if it’s a rubbish game with rubbish graphics and poor gameplay value like Monsters Inc, or it’s a game like Goldeneye, which was a revolutionary shoot ‘em up, it will always sell because it is a well-known film and because most people will recognise the name. And that is the whole point of this post. That people will buy a game, or rent it out, because they are aware of the name, and because it might have been a good film they will automatically think it’s going to be a good game. Oh, of course, this doesn’t count for all games, like I have mentioned before, Goldeneye is definitely not like that. The graphics were great and the gameplay value was exception.

I think also, that the way the name is written on the box can attract an audience. If you saw a game that had a lot of typography and it was a good design, and there was a game that just had the name, that was just plain, you would get attracted to the one that looked good, when it might be the game with the plain writing that is the better box. Take Zelda: Ocarina of Time for example. That game doesn’t really have the best looking box, and compared to a game like Resident Evil, you might go and look at Resident Evil’s box first not knowing that Zelda is probably the better game.

So, I think overall, that some people to game for the name, and don’t always think about buying a game, before they actually know anything about it. The name of a game can attract people, because of the name itself, or the way it is written. And, as far as the gaming for the name, you have to take you time to find out about the game, and you never know, next time your in a games shop, check out the game with a dull box, you never know what could be in it.

Thanks for Reading

El Liquido
Sun 05/05/02 at 18:36
Regular
KR wrote:
> and FOG prime and here any where else?

Yeah, i tatooed it on his face.

Oh, the post? Sorry, i thought we were talking about the word chimp...

: )
Sun 05/05/02 at 15:04
Regular
RM18 wrote:
> He's posted it in the Sony forum as well

and FOG prime and here any where else?
Sun 05/05/02 at 14:44
Regular
He's posted it in the Sony forum as well
Sun 05/05/02 at 13:00
Regular
El Liquido wrote:

> I also looked in prime and saw one of your posts on the same day. Are
> you sure you don't want me to win, so yours can?
>
> Anyway, I only did it so that I could get some feedback.

Hey, don't get me wrong, i'm not criticising it, it just seems a bit cheeky to put the same thing in both forums. But not really in a bad way.

I put most of the longer stuff in fog prime partly because more people should see it (this forum has been even quieter than usual since people got their cubes), and partly because if i think it might be a gad contender, i think it has a better chance of getting noticed in there (by whoever judges). Don't see all that many ninty forum winner really.
Sun 05/05/02 at 07:20
Regular
Dr. Duck wrote:
> I smell gad.. attempt!
>
> Just saw this in fog prime too.
>
> Not criticising, nothing wrong with trying to win the thing. Just
> admiring your more blatant cheek than a builder bending over to tie
> his shoe laces
> : D

I also looked in prime and saw one of your posts on the same day. Are you sure you don't want me to win, so yours can?

Anyway, I only did it so that I could get some feedback.
Sat 04/05/02 at 21:18
Yea, I think that people buy games because of the name of the developer. RARE, for example, I have a lot of rare games, my first one was Banjo-Kazooie and the I bought Jet Force Gemini because it was made by RARE, and not-surprisingly ot was well worth the money...
Sat 04/05/02 at 19:10
Regular
Quinty wrote:
> crackijg post as usually. *sniffs* i smell GAD!!!

Are you shough that isn't my Brassiere I haven't changed it for a few weeks.....not that I wear one I was just ummmm....
Sat 04/05/02 at 18:06
Regular
I smell gad.. attempt!

Just saw this in fog prime too.

Not criticising, nothing wrong with trying to win the thing. Just admiring your more blatant cheek than a builder bending over to tie his shoe laces
: D
Sat 04/05/02 at 17:57
Regular
crackijg post as usually. *sniffs* i smell GAD!!!
Sat 04/05/02 at 17:49
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Sometimes I buy games because of the developer, but mainly I'm influenced by the picture/design on the from and/or reviews.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.