GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game for the Name"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/05/02 at 16:11
Regular
Do you game for the name? What I mean by this is, that do you play a game because a certain developer makes it? Or, do you play a game because of its name? I have noticed when reading a magazine or talking to some of my friend that they think a game is automatically good because a developer that is well know has made it, or do you automatically play a game because the name is catchy, or well known?

It you look at a certain developer and see what kind of games that they have made and the quality of them, they will automatically get a good reputation with the buyers and the critics. But when they make a game, that isn’t up to the standard that precedes them, you still might think it’s good because they have made it. I think a lot of supposed ‘gamers’ do this, as they think that if a developer makes a game, and here well known they will think it’s good. Weird.

The FIFA series is a good example of this. They come out every year and to be honest, there practically the same apart from the graphics have been enhanced. The gameplay is the same as always, the controls might change, but certainly not for the best and the way the players look and move is still the same. But, in spite of all this, I know for a fact that it is still one of the most popular games around. I can constantly hear my friends talking about how good the new (but still the same old game) FIFA game is.

I have known people that hear about a games name and automatically think that the game itself is going to be as good as the name. Take State of Emergency. I know for a fact that everyone thinks it’s a really good game. Now, is it the name of the game that attracts people, or is it because of the violence in it? I have hear people everywhere talking about how good it was, when really they had heard or read nothing about it, because they didn’t know what the actual game was about, all they know about the game is the name sounds good, and from what they had seen of it, it looks okay too. I think that is where people who play computer games, that consider themselves to be ‘gamers’ go in the wrong direction, as they rate a game by its graphics.

I have noticed that games that have a film license always do well, whether it is a Disney film/game or a James Bond film/game. Whatever the actual game is like, if it’s a rubbish game with rubbish graphics and poor gameplay value like Monsters Inc, or it’s a game like Goldeneye, which was a revolutionary shoot ‘em up, it will always sell because it is a well-known film and because most people will recognise the name. And that is the whole point of this post. That people will buy a game, or rent it out, because they are aware of the name, and because it might have been a good film they will automatically think it’s going to be a good game. Oh, of course, this doesn’t count for all games, like I have mentioned before, Goldeneye is definitely not like that. The graphics were great and the gameplay value was exception.

I think also, that the way the name is written on the box can attract an audience. If you saw a game that had a lot of typography and it was a good design, and there was a game that just had the name, that was just plain, you would get attracted to the one that looked good, when it might be the game with the plain writing that is the better box. Take Zelda: Ocarina of Time for example. That game doesn’t really have the best looking box, and compared to a game like Resident Evil, you might go and look at Resident Evil’s box first not knowing that Zelda is probably the better game.

So, I think overall, that some people to game for the name, and don’t always think about buying a game, before they actually know anything about it. The name of a game can attract people, because of the name itself, or the way it is written. And, as far as the gaming for the name, you have to take you time to find out about the game, and you never know, next time your in a games shop, check out the game with a dull box, you never know what could be in it.

Thanks for Reading

El Liquido
Sat 04/05/02 at 16:11
Regular
Do you game for the name? What I mean by this is, that do you play a game because a certain developer makes it? Or, do you play a game because of its name? I have noticed when reading a magazine or talking to some of my friend that they think a game is automatically good because a developer that is well know has made it, or do you automatically play a game because the name is catchy, or well known?

It you look at a certain developer and see what kind of games that they have made and the quality of them, they will automatically get a good reputation with the buyers and the critics. But when they make a game, that isn’t up to the standard that precedes them, you still might think it’s good because they have made it. I think a lot of supposed ‘gamers’ do this, as they think that if a developer makes a game, and here well known they will think it’s good. Weird.

The FIFA series is a good example of this. They come out every year and to be honest, there practically the same apart from the graphics have been enhanced. The gameplay is the same as always, the controls might change, but certainly not for the best and the way the players look and move is still the same. But, in spite of all this, I know for a fact that it is still one of the most popular games around. I can constantly hear my friends talking about how good the new (but still the same old game) FIFA game is.

I have known people that hear about a games name and automatically think that the game itself is going to be as good as the name. Take State of Emergency. I know for a fact that everyone thinks it’s a really good game. Now, is it the name of the game that attracts people, or is it because of the violence in it? I have hear people everywhere talking about how good it was, when really they had heard or read nothing about it, because they didn’t know what the actual game was about, all they know about the game is the name sounds good, and from what they had seen of it, it looks okay too. I think that is where people who play computer games, that consider themselves to be ‘gamers’ go in the wrong direction, as they rate a game by its graphics.

I have noticed that games that have a film license always do well, whether it is a Disney film/game or a James Bond film/game. Whatever the actual game is like, if it’s a rubbish game with rubbish graphics and poor gameplay value like Monsters Inc, or it’s a game like Goldeneye, which was a revolutionary shoot ‘em up, it will always sell because it is a well-known film and because most people will recognise the name. And that is the whole point of this post. That people will buy a game, or rent it out, because they are aware of the name, and because it might have been a good film they will automatically think it’s going to be a good game. Oh, of course, this doesn’t count for all games, like I have mentioned before, Goldeneye is definitely not like that. The graphics were great and the gameplay value was exception.

I think also, that the way the name is written on the box can attract an audience. If you saw a game that had a lot of typography and it was a good design, and there was a game that just had the name, that was just plain, you would get attracted to the one that looked good, when it might be the game with the plain writing that is the better box. Take Zelda: Ocarina of Time for example. That game doesn’t really have the best looking box, and compared to a game like Resident Evil, you might go and look at Resident Evil’s box first not knowing that Zelda is probably the better game.

So, I think overall, that some people to game for the name, and don’t always think about buying a game, before they actually know anything about it. The name of a game can attract people, because of the name itself, or the way it is written. And, as far as the gaming for the name, you have to take you time to find out about the game, and you never know, next time your in a games shop, check out the game with a dull box, you never know what could be in it.

Thanks for Reading

El Liquido
Sat 04/05/02 at 16:31
Regular
"-_-"
i AGREE
I have played state of emergency and i've got to admit it s not a very good game the control of the characters is dodgy the aiming with guns is terrible and there are only about five levels.
My brother rented this and is glad he did. He read one magazine review which said it was good and had lots of gore his friend also said it was good but he thought it was rubbish.
beacause takeaway the gore the alright graphics and good reviews you've got an extremely bad game.
Sat 04/05/02 at 16:35
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I take it that domaye obeyed you El Liquido and posted.

Well done, you must have some power over these newbies.

Although I must say its a very good post. Well done
Sat 04/05/02 at 16:37
Regular
Yes, I do have power over the newbies :0

Thanks...Woth GAD perhaps?
Sat 04/05/02 at 16:41
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I don't want to say cos if I say yes then you wont win
And if i say no then you probably wont win either

(But a lil birdie told me that youll probably win ;))
Sat 04/05/02 at 17:05
Regular
POP.

Thanks Fuzzy.
Sat 04/05/02 at 17:08
Regular
I take it that fuzzy obeyed you and posted.

I take it that dr duck ob... D'OH

Yeah, the general image, and definitely the stuff you mentioned contributes to your opinion of (and decision of whether to buy) a game. I guess we've just got to try to know enough about the game itself so that it doesn't contribute too much.

Still, you probably wanted zelda mm as soon as you heard about it, before having seen screenshots, reviews or whatever else. Not a criticism, i did too. And we were both right, it was a great game. But i was just hoping to point out that sometimes some types of influence can be worth relying on.

Oh, and Super Monkey Ball. Now that's a game you could buy for the title alone. Even if you didn't have a gamecube.

: )
Sat 04/05/02 at 17:28
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Great post El Liquido.. GAD? Hmmm... I'm afraid the answer is.... YOU BET IT IS WORTHY! Good luck!

Microchips

:D
Sat 04/05/02 at 17:49
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Sometimes I buy games because of the developer, but mainly I'm influenced by the picture/design on the from and/or reviews.
Sat 04/05/02 at 17:57
Regular
crackijg post as usually. *sniffs* i smell GAD!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.