GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console Launch Inevitability"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/05/02 at 12:24
Regular
I could take an accurate guess that many of you PS2 and Xbox fans are either avoiding the forums for the next few days or just sticking to the console specific ones. It is inevitable that when a console is launched, it'll be the only subject talked about for a while, and since the GameCube was out yesterday, so it will be too.

I was one of the lucky few. I was actually in when my GameCube was delivered at 8:05 Friday morning, so I didn't get a message saying it would be delivered next day. Only problem was, I had ten minutes to ogle before I had to go to school. No worries though - no games to play. So I unpacked it all, fondled about with the controller and opened and closed the lid. Nice one. Placed it next to my Xbox and had a true laugh out loud moment. The GameCube really is 1/4 the size of the Xbox.

My day went as slowly as you'd expect with the general anticipation of being able to play the machine I'd been waiting a year and a half for. I boasted about actually getting mine so early and realised just how many people were getting a GameCube themselves. I was greeted with many 'I'm getting mine this evening' answers which is more than can be said about the Xbox launch. Seems that, despite the many critics, the GameCube is a very popular console. Its all those diehard fans from the golden SNES age, I tell you.

Eventually the time clunked around to 3:25 - hometime, and the wait on the bus was almost unbearable. I literally ran from my house to get to my GameCube. Fumbling about with the key in the keyhole, I raced inside to find two packages sitting on our dining table, both obviously GameCube games. Wave Race Blue Storm and Super Monkey Ball. Brilliant! The one downer was no memory card, and at the time or writing this my GameCube is still on in my bedroom; I got so far on Super Monkey Ball I'd hate to lose it all.

Its true what they say about Super Monkey Ball. Its incredibly addictive; the controller fits the atmosphere superbly, and all the mini-games are well thought out and are substantial; I was up late into last night playing the grand prix mode in the Monkey Race. Yes, Super Monkey ball is ingenious, and everything from the funny name enter screen thing, to the interactive credits, it is really really great.

Then Wave Race. The first thing I felt when playing this was disappointment. While the water graphics are superb, the scenery, riders and backgrounds are quite poorly drawn with bad textures and no anti-aliasing. But never mind that, the game was fun to play anyway, but I think I'd stick to Super Monkey Ball until I get that memory card.

So overall, the GameCube is a great machine. Its not ugly being a 'cube' it looks just right and cute; the thing is just so small. The discs are diddy as well, and overall it is brilliant in terms of controller, design and overall feel. Well done Nintendo. One thing to comment on, is how Nintendo decided to make the C stick shorter and fatter than the Japanese version, a wise idea in my opinon.

Nintendo have done well up to this point, and the fan base is incredible really. Well done, is all I can say, and I hope that this popularity and high standard of production is maintained in the future.

Post all your comments in here, we don't need endless GameCube topics. You can win Gameaday by replying; you don't have to start a new topic. Sigh... They'll never learn.
Sat 04/05/02 at 12:57
"Uzi Lover"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> I'm fed up with my PS2...

Same here Sonic. I have had my PS2 since about January and all I play on t is GTA 3 and that is VERY rarely. We even have a DVD player so it isn't used for DVD's.

I am kinda in the same situation as you, I have my GCSE's this month and the next. Could put me off alot a GC, but I'll try and not make it do that.

Good idea with the trading thing, what exactly are you trading for what, where at and at what price.? if any.
Sat 04/05/02 at 12:56
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
>
> Only problem is that I have A levels...
>
> thus I won't open the box until after June 28th...
>

You'll never hold out. You'll open it, just to have a look. Then you'll kid yourself that you'll just have one play. And before you know it, you'll be playing it a lot more than you've been playing games recently.
Sat 04/05/02 at 12:46
"Uzi Lover"
A nice honest view of 'How I Found My Gamecube' there. Don't get me wrong though, I love reading all these Gamecube posts to see what everyones opinions are in the run up to me buying one.

It seems there are equal thoughts about Super Monkey Ball and that is that it is terribly addictive and so fun to play. I agree, I played it round my friends house on Friday and it was such a diffrent exprience to all other games. So much of one and so addictive that i am itchying for a Gamecube right now. *sigh*

As for Wave Race, it's on my list of games to get but I'm in no rush really. I loved the original yet never got round to buying it. Everytime I went into a shop with a N64 bargain bin I would delve in to try and find it but no luck. Hopefully Blue Storm will make that up for me :-)

A game I'm really looking forward to is Super Smash Brothers Melee and all those other Nintendo titles which scream out 'classic' which have been annouced. I can't wait to sit down and play those games as well as the launch games.

From what I've read and heard there has been mixed opinions on the Gamecube launch and the games which have been launched alongside it. Many moan about the length of Luigis Mansion whilst others just go on about how much they love to play with their Monkeys in Super Monkey Ball. I heard people saying how great the XBox launch line up was, when I didn't find it very appealing. Maybe it's all about taste but apart from Halo the rest didn't really make me run to a shop and buy it, like the Gamecube is trying to make me do (If I had the cash). And to top it all off its at such a great, bargain price.

I reccomend that everyone should buy a Gamecube for good quality gameplay at a good quality price. But with the state of games these days the Gamecube won't sell as good as it would of say a few years back.

I just look forward to getting my hands on one and feel envy for those who already have.

Have fun :-)
Sat 04/05/02 at 12:35
Regular
Get yourself a Memory card.

You need to unlock the 3 mini games :)

I remembered yesterday morning when I got my Gamecube that I didnt have a memory card.

I had to then drive to town like a maniac and quickly grab the first one tha caught my eye :)

Unlocked Monkey Bowling and Monkey Billiards. Jsut Monkey Golf to do :)

I've completed one player on beginner and advanced but i've just given up on expert :)

Luigi's mansion is...well...all the reviews to point to it being dissapointing...and it lives up to that. Nothin special at all, but its still fun to play and not a bad game by a long stretch.

I'm happy and should have 3 more games and the Datel 1000+ slot memory card come through the post on Tuesday :)
Sat 04/05/02 at 12:35
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I'm fed up with my PS2... only had it since xmas and already all I do is play DVDs and Rez!

So, today I will go and trade it (along with all the games I have) for a GC with Rougue Leader, Monkey ball and an extra controller...

Only problem is that I have A levels...

thus I won't open the box until after June 28th...

In case you're wonderring why I'd be so stupid, it goes something like this...

I want to get rid of the PS2 while I can still get a decent price for it. So that'd be ASAP. However, I hardly have time for games, so the lack of GC gaming won't be missed too much...

Sonic
Sat 04/05/02 at 12:24
Regular
"¬_¬"
I could take an accurate guess that many of you PS2 and Xbox fans are either avoiding the forums for the next few days or just sticking to the console specific ones. It is inevitable that when a console is launched, it'll be the only subject talked about for a while, and since the GameCube was out yesterday, so it will be too.

I was one of the lucky few. I was actually in when my GameCube was delivered at 8:05 Friday morning, so I didn't get a message saying it would be delivered next day. Only problem was, I had ten minutes to ogle before I had to go to school. No worries though - no games to play. So I unpacked it all, fondled about with the controller and opened and closed the lid. Nice one. Placed it next to my Xbox and had a true laugh out loud moment. The GameCube really is 1/4 the size of the Xbox.

My day went as slowly as you'd expect with the general anticipation of being able to play the machine I'd been waiting a year and a half for. I boasted about actually getting mine so early and realised just how many people were getting a GameCube themselves. I was greeted with many 'I'm getting mine this evening' answers which is more than can be said about the Xbox launch. Seems that, despite the many critics, the GameCube is a very popular console. Its all those diehard fans from the golden SNES age, I tell you.

Eventually the time clunked around to 3:25 - hometime, and the wait on the bus was almost unbearable. I literally ran from my house to get to my GameCube. Fumbling about with the key in the keyhole, I raced inside to find two packages sitting on our dining table, both obviously GameCube games. Wave Race Blue Storm and Super Monkey Ball. Brilliant! The one downer was no memory card, and at the time or writing this my GameCube is still on in my bedroom; I got so far on Super Monkey Ball I'd hate to lose it all.

Its true what they say about Super Monkey Ball. Its incredibly addictive; the controller fits the atmosphere superbly, and all the mini-games are well thought out and are substantial; I was up late into last night playing the grand prix mode in the Monkey Race. Yes, Super Monkey ball is ingenious, and everything from the funny name enter screen thing, to the interactive credits, it is really really great.

Then Wave Race. The first thing I felt when playing this was disappointment. While the water graphics are superb, the scenery, riders and backgrounds are quite poorly drawn with bad textures and no anti-aliasing. But never mind that, the game was fun to play anyway, but I think I'd stick to Super Monkey Ball until I get that memory card.

So overall, the GameCube is a great machine. Its not ugly being a 'cube' it looks just right and cute; the thing is just so small. The discs are diddy as well, and overall it is brilliant in terms of controller, design and overall feel. Well done Nintendo. One thing to comment on, is how Nintendo decided to make the C stick shorter and fatter than the Japanese version, a wise idea in my opinon.

Nintendo have done well up to this point, and the fan base is incredible really. Well done, is all I can say, and I hope that this popularity and high standard of production is maintained in the future.

Post all your comments in here, we don't need endless GameCube topics. You can win Gameaday by replying; you don't have to start a new topic. Sigh... They'll never learn.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.