GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"700 Brits quit the UK every day"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/01/08 at 23:09
Regular
I did a post about this before, though I didnt realise how many people were actually leaving the UK. 700 a day is a lot. Most are heading for Australia which is no surprise for me as 2 of my 4 cousins now live out there and they're on either side of my family (and Australia for that matter). They love it there and have no intension of coming back.

Even though there's only a handful of us left on Freeola there's still a couple of us who talk freely about are desires to quit the UK. Kawada can't wait to get his one way ticket outta here and even pb is keen to leave sunny old Devon for even sunnier Spain.

Me, I've been waiting a very long time to get back on a plane and head back to Singapore. I haven't mentioned it but my girlfriend has been living here for almost 5 months now. Things have been going great and I'd like to live out there now. Though to be honest I don't think I could ever fully quit the UK. I love being English, I do love England. I'm just not happy with what I'm seeing. For me the nicer weather is a bonus, I'm sure thanks to global warming the UK will become a hot country like Spain anyway so you need more than just "the weather" to quit the UK.

Things are different since my last thread about this topic. We've had a huge influx of Polish, even in my little town. While 700 might quit the UK I'm sure they'll be easily replaced by Polish and other immigrants. It's a shame that a lot are sending money home instead of keeping it in the UK. That's hardly going to help our economy or Polands if all the men leave to work in the UK. I'm starting to think Garins idea of joining the EU wasn't such a great idea after all. :(

So maybe it's the right time to jump ship and find a nice new home. Thanks to the internet and cheaper flights it's never been easier to pack up and move to a new country and still stay in touch with the old country.

So have any of the rest of you thought about quitting the UK? Or do you see yourself staying firmly rooted here until the day you die?
Wed 06/02/08 at 23:42
"Was the man of marz"
Hedfix wrote:
> Half of those have bought new identitties to escape (CTRL DELETE)
> cwipplingy awesome debt.

Ha! I thought it was mostly people walking out of open prisons.

On a serious note, it sounds brilliant that people are actually given a chance to voice their opinions on specific issues trish, rather than having to vote in an individual and hope they make the right choices (like here in england).
Wed 06/02/08 at 15:04
Regular
"8==="
Half of those have bought new identitties to escape (CTRL DELETE) cwipplingy awesome debt.
Tue 05/02/08 at 10:41
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
>>I already knew about the Gaelic thing, having two half Scottish sisters, I know being Celtic is the mythical clan link. Oh yeah, I don't mind being tied to a lamppost, as long as i'm not crucified. However aren't the laws etc dictated by Catholicism, like Christianity is over here, even though very few people actually practice it.

They used to be dictated, but a lot has changed in the last 10 years, many referenda have been held to change laws, e.g. Catholicism strictly forbids divorce yet it is now allowed in Ireland thanks to a referendum in which 77% voted for it.
Sun 03/02/08 at 19:55
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I think it's this air of negativity thats driving people out of this country. I dont think things on the whole are as bad as they seem, nor do i necessarily think things are good either though. The focus of the media is on how society is going to hell but i suspect it only appears that way because it's never been under such scrutiny before.
Having said all that, i'm currently looking for a place to live but have found it increasingly difficult to find an area i like around here (London) and i suspect i wont find anywhere. Whether thats because i've been unfairly poisoned against this place or things really arent that good, i'm not sure.
Until i was around 21 i would never have considered leaving this country. Now i cant see myself staying and it seems like a matter of time before i leave.
Sun 03/02/08 at 17:23
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
I think that's increasingly becoming less and less the case, actually. But like Portugal, for example, Ireland does seem to be much more attatched to religion than other European states.
Sun 03/02/08 at 15:26
"Was the man of marz"
Mainly north of the river everpain. I did find Dublin different to the actual city of London, yes, but I found nothing unfamiliar to that of greater London.

trish wrote:
> Cleaner because theres 7 times less population in it :D

I thought it maybe because people cared a little more, including the council, which don't really like collecting rubbish anymore over here. It's a completely different story in touristy central London (of course).

> Its less powerful because you dont need as much energy to run
> appliances as is used in the UK. Means cheaper bills. UK
> appliances are fine to run here. And yes its the same type of
> plug, we are not continental Europe!

I did suspect as much about the plugs, but I wasn't sure about the voltage. What happens if you plug electrical goods brought in the republic into a socket in Northern Ireland? I'm guessing nothing.

> Youre fine. We have a lot of English working here, my boss is
> from Bristol and the one before him was from Southampton. As
> long as youre a hard worker and mix in wherever you are youll be
> grand. Oh and dont mention the Irish language as Gaelic, thats
> Scotland not here! or call us Southern Ireland, otherwise youre
> likely to be tied to a lampost somewhere. Thats all there is as
> big no nos really. As for not being Catholic, Im Irish and Im
> not Catholic, enough said.

I already knew about the Gaelic thing, having two half Scottish sisters, I know being Celtic is the mythical clan link. Oh yeah, I don't mind being tied to a lamppost, as long as i'm not crucified. However aren't the laws etc dictated by Catholicism, like Christianity is over here, even though very few people actually practice it.
Sun 03/02/08 at 00:53
Regular
"Author of Pain"
Marzman wrote:
> I didn't stay in Dublin for too long, but I thought the majority
> of it looked a lot like a cleaner suburban London

...what parts of london do you hang out in? The two cities are completely different.
Sat 02/02/08 at 21:57
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
>>I didn't stay in Dublin for too long, but I thought the majority of it looked a lot like a cleaner suburban London, except for the riverside area (where I got caught out by one of the many tolls).

Cleaner because theres 7 times less population in it :D

>>Are you coming to the UK temporarily for work, and if so is that because of the euro, in terms of what it gets you in day to day living?

The prices here are fine if you know where to spend it. Thats something you learn in time. Im coming because Ive been offered a 6 month contract with a firm that I would love to work for.

>>Also isn't the mains electricity a little less powerful in ireland, and how does that affect electronics from the united kingdom, if they even have the same type of plugs?

Its less powerful because you dont need as much energy to run appliances as is used in the UK. Means cheaper bills. UK appliances are fine to run here. And yes its the same type of plug, we are not continental Europe!

>>Final thing is about how outsiders are perceived; I've got the right surname for job hunting etc, so I shouldn't get snubbed like I do over here, but people are obviously going to notice my southern english accent. I didn't find people in the republic hostile, but maybe that's because they like tourists a little better than the north, as I found out when I stayed near 'loyalist larne'. Plus, would not being catholic be an issue, even though I wasn't baptised as anything and don't follow a religion. Have I used up my few pointers trish?

Youre fine. We have a lot of English working here, my boss is from Bristol and the one before him was from Southampton. As long as youre a hard worker and mix in wherever you are youll be grand. Oh and dont mention the Irish language as Gaelic, thats Scotland not here! or call us Southern Ireland, otherwise youre likely to be tied to a lampost somewhere. Thats all there is as big no nos really. As for not being Catholic, Im Irish and Im not Catholic, enough said.
Sat 02/02/08 at 20:56
"Was the man of marz"
trish wrote:
> I can give you a few pointers Marzman, Im from Dublin.
>
> As for people leaving the UK, temporarily at least, Im one of
> the ones going the other direction coming in :D

I didn't stay in Dublin for too long, but I thought the majority of it looked a lot like a cleaner suburban London, except for the riverside area (where I got caught out by one of the many tolls).

Are you coming to the UK temporarily for work, and if so is that because of the euro, in terms of what it gets you in day to day living?

Also isn't the mains electricity a little less powerful in ireland, and how does that affect electronics from the united kingdom, if they even have the same type of plugs?

Final thing is about how outsiders are perceived; I've got the right surname for job hunting etc, so I shouldn't get snubbed like I do over here, but people are obviously going to notice my southern english accent. I didn't find people in the republic hostile, but maybe that's because they like tourists a little better than the north, as I found out when I stayed near 'loyalist larne'. Plus, would not being catholic be an issue, even though I wasn't baptised as anything and don't follow a religion. Have I used up my few pointers trish?
Sat 02/02/08 at 19:48
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
I can give you a few pointers Marzman, Im from Dublin.

As for people leaving the UK, temporarily at least, Im one of the ones going the other direction coming in :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.