GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"has the dreamcast still got a chance if it wanted to come back!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/05/02 at 16:16
Regular
just say the dreamcast did want to make new games would is survive cause word has it that the dreamcast decided to stop making games because it thought it was going to fail because of the other consoles..................................the dreamcast did actually have great ratings but the people who rated it say the ratings of the dreamcast was nothink compared to the PS1 and PS2. which supposedly scared the dreamcast off. I don't think this is true however maybe dreamcast just want to make a bang when they come back if thy come back.
Sat 25/05/02 at 15:09
There will never be a come back in the comercial market.
The reason is "Piracy" and "Old Owners" It is a fact that NEW owners are the ones that buy the most games, on the playstation for example many owners are reluctant to have there machines opened up and chipped. This creates a market of new owners unable to play pirate games.
This isnt the case with the dreamcast, its technology was acctually its downfall, it made it easy for hackers to plug it up with a PC and read the games. The DC's protection was in the fact that a CDRom couldnt read the special discs. Hooking it up to a PC diverted past this problem as the DCs Drive itself was being used to read the discs.
On top of this Sega also made it possible for the DC to read CDs (for playing music) what a stupid thing to do in hindsight.
And as if that wasnt enough they acctually included a version of windows built into the machine.
It only took one bright person to put around the idea of "what would happen if you read a DCdisc into a PC, wrote it onto a CDR and used windows programing to make it boot" to create the problem that followed.
It meant that with a bit of coding, a normal CD could be made to boot in the machine and if it had a copy of a game on it then the game booted and played.
All this on a brand new machine with no invalitation of the warrenty so "NEW" users were doing it.

One strange fact though, the games themselves were/are that good for the dreamcast, and the machine is that good, that many people who quickly sold there machines have now bought another one, and are starting to buy all the games for it (originals) because there is no doubt.
A dreamcast in the year 2002 is both a bargain and an excellent console with top games.
Unless someone can make/sell games for £5-£15 a throw then no one will bother making any.
Mon 20/05/02 at 21:56
I believe the Dreamcast does stand a chance- in my opinion it is easily in in the same league as the PlayStation 2, but there was one major thing SEGA forgot- advertising. Sure, we had some nice TV ads, but nothing really fancy. Just look at Nintendo's CubeClub, and Nintendo VIP 24:7- and who can forget the Xbox's all star line up? The Rock etc. All the Dreamcast had was some barber in a TV ad. It is reminiscent of the MicroSoft vs. iMac war- ask someone if Macs are the best computers around and they'll deny it- because chances are they don't even know what a Mac is like. All because Macs had next to none advertising. They had a very good chance to come back with the release of the epic Phantasy Star Online- i bet if they advertised that, Dreamcast sales would have gone up 100%. But they didn't. They still have a chance though. I reckon, if they made gave the DC a new exterior, name etc., so that people would think it was a completely new console then hype it up to buggery, SEGA would be rolling about in money. If only they knew at the time.
Sat 11/05/02 at 14:30
Regular
"ur kungfu is no goo"
oh well, I guess its back to mlb 99 on the n64 hhhppphhmm!!
Fri 10/05/02 at 17:11
Regular
yakumo wrote:
> Hey gar-j have you seen my baseball?, yesterday said that tommorrow
> brought it but I dont see it anywhere??

After looking for it high and low, I have to admit that I cannot see it anywhere. Apologies. :oP
Fri 10/05/02 at 12:27
Regular
"ur kungfu is no goo"
Hey gar-j have you seen my baseball?, yesterday said that tommorrow brought it but I dont see it anywhere??
Thu 09/05/02 at 16:55
Regular
yakumo wrote:
> Gar-J wrote:
> Nope, just a 'No Tolerance' attitude. :oP
>
> = towards hetrosexual people?

Here we go again - I have to tell you something ELSE more than once for you to understand. Act your age man, and not your d*ck size.
Thu 09/05/02 at 14:17
Regular
"ur kungfu is no goo"
Gar-J wrote:
> Nope, just a 'No Tolerance' attitude. :oP

= towards hetrosexual people?
Thu 09/05/02 at 12:30
Regular
"cant think of one.."
shorty10 wrote:
> just say the dreamcast did want to make new games would is survive
> cause word has it that the dreamcast decided to stop making games
> because it thought it was going to fail because of the other
> consoles..................................the dreamcast did actually
> have great ratings but the people who rated it say the ratings of the
> dreamcast was nothink compared to the PS1 and PS2. which supposedly
> scared the dreamcast off. I don't think this is true however maybe
> dreamcast just want to make a bang when they come back if thy come
> back.

It should have done much better, but unfortunately it didn't. I think its time we laid it to rest and moved on... After all, there are 3 excellent consoles on the market at the moment!
Thu 09/05/02 at 12:29
Regular
yakumo wrote:
> A no tolerance for what??? people who may be cooler then you??, in
> that case I see why you seem to hate everyone, incuding your mum!!

Hahahaha, no. No tolerance for brain-dead in-breeds like you. :o)
Wed 08/05/02 at 20:41
Regular
"ur kungfu is no goo"
A no tolerance for what??? people who may be cooler then you??, in that case I see why you seem to hate everyone, incuding your mum!!

you heard!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.