GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"To Chip or not to Chip"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 02/05/02 at 12:11
Regular
Do think its a good thing to chip your PS2 or a bad thing?

Also can someone tell me the actual details of how they work, the one i mainly want to know about is the Sbox external chip box, and what boot and other software or hardware you need.
Thu 02/05/02 at 14:30
Should be fine in a standalone DVD player, think the main problem with using them in PS2 is just down to the quality of the components Sony used in some models.
Thu 02/05/02 at 15:28
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Thanks Milenko, I'll give it a go in the next couple of days. I'll be glad to get it back running properly as the jumpy bits are bloomin annoying!
Thu 02/05/02 at 15:47
Regular
"simpsons rule"
i think it is a good thing to chip you ps2
Thu 02/05/02 at 15:55
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
care to 'back up' that statement reynolds?
Thu 02/05/02 at 16:09
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
AbsoluT Neo wrote:
> care to 'back up' that statement reynolds?

Hmm, I've got a feeling that we could be waiting along time for that "back up" statement!

Bit of a shame really because I was looking forward to a good argument.
Thu 02/05/02 at 16:50
If you are a cheap criminal that doesnt care about stealing from the companies that make the games then go right ahead.
If not dont bother.
Besides that playing the PS2 games that are normally on DVDs on CDs should result in somewhat of a lack of quality.
Thu 02/05/02 at 16:55
Regular
"Bobba you"
NOOOOOO!!! dont do it cos i had my PS1 chiped and it and after that it kept crashing and spagging out on me so dont get it done ever!
Thu 02/05/02 at 17:07
Regular
If you've got the guts to do it then why not you'll only risk breaking your PS2 and invaluating the Warranty but oh well you get cheaper games.
Thu 02/05/02 at 18:27
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
I think th4e chip that was fited to PS1's was actually a chip to allow you to play foriegn games. Unfortunately, this chip also allowed you to play chipped games. The Dreamcast doesn't even need to be chipped before you can play chipped games which is good for some people. Well i think that it is o.k for people to get their PS2's chipped because it is quite humiliating for them when eother the game always crashes or it stops other real games working. Well i hope you don't rolleck me for saying that it is o.k but that's just my view. There's also this shop down in the council estate near my area which looks so fake. On the front window, they've got Play Station 1 chips for £7.50. I was thinking about getting my PS1 chipped but when i got in the shop, the guy looked really scary and the kind of guy that sells knock off stuff, which it was. The funny thing though was the fact that he had been finned about 30 grand because he was selling copied games. Then he told me that selling the chips was not illegal which really suprised me.
Thu 02/05/02 at 20:34
Regular
Bugy and Juicy Melons need to read my post about the Messiah chip. The Messiah chip is *THE* best chip ever for any system. It basically works by telling the PS2 that whatever game is in the drive is an original PAL game. I have copied loads of games myself, at home, on both CD and DVD, and not one has failed to load. This chip is amazing, and I recommend it now!!

Some facts:

1) The chip has *NEVER* caused my PS2 to hang or crash
2) Copies of the games are direct 1:1, so are *EXACTLY* the same as the originals, and hence *NEVER* crash (well, at least not more than the original would!)
3) The chip is invisible to the PS2 and *CANNOT* be detected by code. All it does is intercept signals and spit out modded signals.
4) You need one!

The prophecy is here, bow to the Messiah!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.