GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"To Chip or not to Chip"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 02/05/02 at 12:11
Regular
Do think its a good thing to chip your PS2 or a bad thing?

Also can someone tell me the actual details of how they work, the one i mainly want to know about is the Sbox external chip box, and what boot and other software or hardware you need.
Sat 04/05/02 at 21:28
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I've noticed now slow down in GT3 or devil may cry, and i don't mind waiting a few months for games to be released over here since it gives me time to complete games already in my collection.
Sat 04/05/02 at 18:08
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Cipro, you really don't get the point...

With most Ps2 games (VF4 is not amoung them though) there imports have huge benefit. They come out about 6 months earlier than we get them and they RUN FASTER, making the game smoother and exactly how it wqas designed to be played. EVERY UK Tekken game has been up to 30% slower than the US and Jap versions...

As for the price, the imports cost far less...
However, if you're foolish enough to buy imports from actual importers, then they will cost you far more.
If you go about getting the games yourself from American retailers, they come out about £5 cheaper (inc. sending it to you).

Sonic
Sat 04/05/02 at 13:17
Regular
"A man with a stick"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Oh, and could I just take this oppertunity to laugh at the people who
> think that chipping is always bad, irrespective of whether it be for
> copying games (bad) or importing games.
>
> Either you've never bothered to research the area, or you just believe
> the Sony spool that "chipping is bad. just say no kids".
> Certainly for playing copied games it is, however, it allows serious
> gamers to play more games from all over the world at a better quality
> and sooner.
>
> Sonic

I'm a serious gamer and guess what! I don't want to play import games. I remember a few weeks back someone posted a thread about the import version of Tekken 4, it cost £60!!! I'm not paying that much just to play a game a few weeks earlier than everyone else.

I haven't seen any import titles which appeal to me from japan, and the games from america usually end up on our shores anyway. And this thread was about chipping the PS2 to play copied games which is why many of these responses are about how copied games are bad and not worth chipping for.
Sat 04/05/02 at 12:40
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Neo, all true but the last bit...

The waranty is void after chipping, but this is NOT an indication of Sony being so against chipping that they've made it invalidate the warranty. In fact, ANYTHING you do to your console that is against the instruction guide invalidates the warranty. So, taking it for a swim also invalidates the warranty- but has nothing to do with Sony not liking water!

In fact, using THIRD PARTY PERIPHERALS invalidates your warranty. However, because Sony can't prove thay you've used such items, they can't do much to stop you using them and then asking for a new PS2 because something's gone wrong with it. This includes any games that haven't got Sony's authorisation (like game shark discs).

Sonic
Sat 04/05/02 at 12:26
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Yeh however majority of people get it chipped to play copies, and people have been posting on here say they want to chip their 'stations so that they dont have to spend over the odds for games, which means they want to get it chipped for copied games. Thats why people are saying 'no' to chipping on here. Im not against chipping, infact I wanted to get mine done just to make back up of my current games, because ive had problesm in the past of games getting scratched, however I decided it would be cheaper to just look after my games better. The warranty would also be voided which just shows how much Sony are against it and any problems in the future would make your PS 2 costly to repair.
Sat 04/05/02 at 12:13
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Oh, and could I just take this oppertunity to laugh at the people who think that chipping is always bad, irrespective of whether it be for copying games (bad) or importing games.

Either you've never bothered to research the area, or you just believe the Sony spool that "chipping is bad. just say no kids". Certainly for playing copied games it is, however, it allows serious gamers to play more games from all over the world at a better quality and sooner.

Sonic
Sat 04/05/02 at 12:10
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I would ENCOURAGE any serious gamers to get their console chipped...

Now, first off, I say this to allow you to play IMPORT games- NOT COPIES. Copies cost the industry money, and seeing how the developers who actually make games get next to nothing of the profits, many are already in financial trouble.

However, chipping as a means to import is something that anybody really serious about gaming should do. Not only do you get games early, but they often run faster and full screen (ESPECIALLY when considerring how poor PS2 PAL conversions tend to be!). Just look at Devil May Cry (or any of Capcom's games)- it has huge borders, runs slowly and the gap between American and European releases was not small enough to justify this.

In addition (and this is where I really love importing), you get to play games that never come out over here. And that's a lot more than you might think. Personally, I love Japanese style Mecha games... most of which we never see over here (is ZOE the only one?!).

And if, like me, you tend to go to America often or know people there, the games are far cheaper to buy there (although to buy through an importer will cost a fair bit).

If I had the money, I'd have bought a GC from Japan 6 months ago and be playing all the games that Ninties are raving about having just got now (as well as many not scheduled for release until 6 months time). Then I'd get it chicpped when a universal chip came out, and then I could play games from America, Japan or here. Oh, and by the virtue that the console uses the small discs (CDs don't actually fit into it), then you can't play copies anyway...

Sonic
Sat 04/05/02 at 11:08
Regular
"A man with a stick"
nh wrote:
> Weird - he has gone away - his whole post has dissapeared - no greying
> out and user banned stuff - totally gone !!

Perhaps SR are trying to tell Buggy something like, 'if you don't stop talking about chipping your PS2, you'll be banned like that moron matt2002.'
Fri 03/05/02 at 13:34
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
nh wrote:
> buggy wrote:
>
> the dreamcast runs copied games with no chip just a bootdisk. very
> easy this is why the dreamcast is dead. ha ha
>
>
> So this is the mentality of the people that are being attracted to the
> forums now. Somebody who thinks it's good that the Dreamcast failed
> due to the fact that it could easily be pirated.
>
> Go away.

Weird - he has gone away - his whole post has dissapeared - no greying out and user banned stuff - totally gone !!
Fri 03/05/02 at 12:16
Regular
"A man with a stick"
The reason games get copied is because games on the whole are expensive. Fair enough, but these games are expensive because game companies have to make up for the loss they get on copied games.

I used to get copied games for my old console, but thankfully stopped after a couple of titles. This was because the games I had copied where weaker, inferior versions of the titles they where copied from. One game was in black and white; another game had a tendency to crash quite often, and so on.

I now hate copied games, and will never fall to the temptation of that smaller price tag. I will gladly pay £40 for a game just so long as it keeps me entertained, and is generally worth the price. It’s a shame that I and other people here who have to work for a living, have to make up for cheap skates can't be bothered to save up a bit of money.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.