GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gameshop staff know their stuff"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/04/02 at 23:00
Regular
As I was getting incredibly bored standing on the 4th floor of Debenhams in Oxford Street as my mum was happily scanting around for clothes, perfume etc I could hardly think of anything to do. The EB that was handily placed inside Debenhams provided some distraction for me..

I was starting to get restless seeing some hardcore fans playing on both the PS2 (FIFA World Cup) and X-Box (Project Gotham Racing) for the past 40 minutes as I was lifting the empty game cases from the shelves for the umpteenth time....

It was about 30 mins before the closure of the shop so I wandered towards the counter where one employee was enjoying a game of Star Wars:Rogue Squadron on a brand new shiny Gamecube. I watched for a bit and then asked the man how much the Gamcube was.He said £130. And we started talking.

We talked about the top games for teh Gamecube, release dates of various games, advantages and disadvantages of all the next-gen consoles etc. And unlike most staff in similar shop, he wasnt a gorilla-like bloke with a pea for a brain. He knew his stuff well.

I didnt know him but we talked because we both knew a lot about games and had well-based opinions.

Time passed and finally my mum showed up 15 minutes later. I said bye to the man and went back to my North London home. As I was leaving the store, I was thinking that game shops are lucky to have employees like that-who do actually care about what they do and are enthusiastic about games. They can not only give you quotes from press releases they were presented with earlier-they can give you any needed information on the games.

I then thought that we need more dedicated members of staff at gaming stores that are honest and passionate about games. People like that can save you money...And that fact alone is worth noticing....
Tue 30/04/02 at 23:00
Regular
"You Bum!!"
As I was getting incredibly bored standing on the 4th floor of Debenhams in Oxford Street as my mum was happily scanting around for clothes, perfume etc I could hardly think of anything to do. The EB that was handily placed inside Debenhams provided some distraction for me..

I was starting to get restless seeing some hardcore fans playing on both the PS2 (FIFA World Cup) and X-Box (Project Gotham Racing) for the past 40 minutes as I was lifting the empty game cases from the shelves for the umpteenth time....

It was about 30 mins before the closure of the shop so I wandered towards the counter where one employee was enjoying a game of Star Wars:Rogue Squadron on a brand new shiny Gamecube. I watched for a bit and then asked the man how much the Gamcube was.He said £130. And we started talking.

We talked about the top games for teh Gamecube, release dates of various games, advantages and disadvantages of all the next-gen consoles etc. And unlike most staff in similar shop, he wasnt a gorilla-like bloke with a pea for a brain. He knew his stuff well.

I didnt know him but we talked because we both knew a lot about games and had well-based opinions.

Time passed and finally my mum showed up 15 minutes later. I said bye to the man and went back to my North London home. As I was leaving the store, I was thinking that game shops are lucky to have employees like that-who do actually care about what they do and are enthusiastic about games. They can not only give you quotes from press releases they were presented with earlier-they can give you any needed information on the games.

I then thought that we need more dedicated members of staff at gaming stores that are honest and passionate about games. People like that can save you money...And that fact alone is worth noticing....
Wed 01/05/02 at 00:28
Regular
"360: swfcman"
True, i think that there is always usually one decent worker in these game shops, its just the odds arent all that high that you will get served by one when you get in. But its places like these forums where (if you look hard enough around here) you can find all the info you want on anything you want to do with gaming.

I suppose the more of these good workers that there are though the more second opinions you can get...just depends whether there biased ect or not.
Wed 01/05/02 at 09:21
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
It's good to see that you found someone who actually knew their stuff for once.

In Ipswich we have an EB shop and EB Franchise in Debenhams and between the 2 of them there is 1 member of staff who I will actually ask quesitons of as the rest are generally clueless. I posted a topic here a couple of weeks about how I overheard one member telling a customer that the PS2 was past it.

I was in Debenhams at the weekend and overheard a customer asking when Driver 3 was due out. The pleb behind the counter said that it was due out in spring sometime, huh !! I then turned round and told the guy when it was actually due out and we had a discussion about the possible merits of Stuntman and Driver 3 and wether it would be worth the wait !!
Wed 01/05/02 at 09:49
I think the underlying problem is that although working as a shop assistant in a games shop may seem like a good first job, it's not exactly a position most people would aspire to. People may want to get in to a managerial role in the shop, but I'd think it's a stop gap for some, and for others - well maybe it's all their capable of. So you don't really get the cream of the crop, and hence the clueless assistants. I can't imagine being a shop assistant pays well either....
Wed 01/05/02 at 09:58
Regular
Has anybody else tried going into Game and asking:

"Do you have any copies of Sonic the Earthworm for Playstation 3?"

Its good for a laugh, especially when the staff member actually checks his stocks and reports back:

"I`m sorry, we don`t have that in yet, would you like us to give you a call when we do?"

I gave him my phone number and stuff, and am now awaiting a call when they will tell me they actually do have the game in stock.
Wed 01/05/02 at 10:12
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
You sure he wasn't just humouring you and then having a good laugh when you went out ? :-)
Wed 01/05/02 at 12:47
"High polygon count"
I am shocked - no, AMAZED - that you found a member of staff in an EB store who even had the first clue about games.

He must have been a spy from elsewhere, surely?

If not, my whole world is about to crumble around me, and my perception of life, the Universe and everything is thrown into complete and utter disarray.
Wed 01/05/02 at 13:17
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Yes Wookiee - it is all a dream...

EB Staff are looked up to by Gamers everywhere because of their in depth knowledge of all things game related and Arsenal are about to be relegated to the Nationwide whilst Ipswich go onto to claim their third succesive Premiership title.

Welcome to the real world :-)
Wed 01/05/02 at 14:06
"High polygon count"
*Sits up in bed and screams*
Wed 01/05/02 at 14:10
You have a bed at work? Coooool.....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.