GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Should we smack our kids?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/04/02 at 14:20
Regular
Just been reading in a paper over lunchtime that the NSPCC is launching an ad campaign to stop parents smacking their kids.

I put it to you:

Is this a good thing?

Now, we all know that beating kids is wrong, and child abuse is terrible and needs to be stopped.

BUT, should smacking your kids, when it's been naughty or whatever (for a genuine reason is what I'm trying to get across) be frowned upon in society?

Both me and my brother were smacked as kids when we played up, and I've not turned into some homicidal axe murderer or anything.

I feel that smacking should be allowed. Afterall, how to kids learn? Through praise and punishment. Praise them (give them sweets/treats etc) when they do something right, and punish them (smack them) when they do something wrong.

It could be argued that that the recent rise in child crime, and general child misbehaviour could be linked to the decline in smacking kids as they're growing up.

It could also be argued that smacking kids could lead to them being violent themselves when they grwo up.

I intend to smack my child(ren) if they misbehave when I have them.

What do you feel about all this?
Tue 30/04/02 at 14:36
Regular
"not dead"
I don't need to MAKE them fight, they go at it anyway.

Honestly, if Malibu is laying on the floor, and Georgia crawls by, Malibu will try to kick Georgia. So Georgia climbs on top of her. Only Malibu gets a bit rough because she's bigger, or Georgia tries to bite, so I have to stop it.
Tue 30/04/02 at 14:34
Regular
"I love Dave music"
I think that it is the only way that kids learn respect these days. I look at all my younger cousins, and think "I'd never talk back to an adult like that when I was a kid", I don't even really talk back to my parents now, and I'm 19!

Of course child abuse is wrong. I don't think anyone would argue against that, but kids these days don't just need protection, they need some discipline too.

I heard a story the other day on the radio: A father had told their kid, if a teacher tells you to do something you don't want to do, just say no. They can't do anything to make you.

What sort of an example is that to set a child? In fact, I think that letting kids get away with things like that is far worse than smacking them when they do something wrong.
Tue 30/04/02 at 14:32
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I still agree with Snuggly, you should make your two fight.
Tue 30/04/02 at 14:28
Regular
"not dead"
I think it's up to the parent to discipline the child in a way they see fit.

Mind you, I'm always pushing Malibu over for a laugh, because I think the way she says "Hey! Stop pushing me ober!" Is funny. That's not a typo, by the way, she says 'ober'. Oh, and I catch her, or only push her onto soft stuff, before you think I'm cruel.
Tue 30/04/02 at 14:24
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I'd beat mine like a carpet.

Sometimes for legitimate reasons.
Tue 30/04/02 at 14:20
Regular
Just been reading in a paper over lunchtime that the NSPCC is launching an ad campaign to stop parents smacking their kids.

I put it to you:

Is this a good thing?

Now, we all know that beating kids is wrong, and child abuse is terrible and needs to be stopped.

BUT, should smacking your kids, when it's been naughty or whatever (for a genuine reason is what I'm trying to get across) be frowned upon in society?

Both me and my brother were smacked as kids when we played up, and I've not turned into some homicidal axe murderer or anything.

I feel that smacking should be allowed. Afterall, how to kids learn? Through praise and punishment. Praise them (give them sweets/treats etc) when they do something right, and punish them (smack them) when they do something wrong.

It could be argued that that the recent rise in child crime, and general child misbehaviour could be linked to the decline in smacking kids as they're growing up.

It could also be argued that smacking kids could lead to them being violent themselves when they grwo up.

I intend to smack my child(ren) if they misbehave when I have them.

What do you feel about all this?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.