GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Should we smack our kids?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/04/02 at 14:20
Regular
Just been reading in a paper over lunchtime that the NSPCC is launching an ad campaign to stop parents smacking their kids.

I put it to you:

Is this a good thing?

Now, we all know that beating kids is wrong, and child abuse is terrible and needs to be stopped.

BUT, should smacking your kids, when it's been naughty or whatever (for a genuine reason is what I'm trying to get across) be frowned upon in society?

Both me and my brother were smacked as kids when we played up, and I've not turned into some homicidal axe murderer or anything.

I feel that smacking should be allowed. Afterall, how to kids learn? Through praise and punishment. Praise them (give them sweets/treats etc) when they do something right, and punish them (smack them) when they do something wrong.

It could be argued that that the recent rise in child crime, and general child misbehaviour could be linked to the decline in smacking kids as they're growing up.

It could also be argued that smacking kids could lead to them being violent themselves when they grwo up.

I intend to smack my child(ren) if they misbehave when I have them.

What do you feel about all this?
Tue 30/04/02 at 14:20
Regular
Just been reading in a paper over lunchtime that the NSPCC is launching an ad campaign to stop parents smacking their kids.

I put it to you:

Is this a good thing?

Now, we all know that beating kids is wrong, and child abuse is terrible and needs to be stopped.

BUT, should smacking your kids, when it's been naughty or whatever (for a genuine reason is what I'm trying to get across) be frowned upon in society?

Both me and my brother were smacked as kids when we played up, and I've not turned into some homicidal axe murderer or anything.

I feel that smacking should be allowed. Afterall, how to kids learn? Through praise and punishment. Praise them (give them sweets/treats etc) when they do something right, and punish them (smack them) when they do something wrong.

It could be argued that that the recent rise in child crime, and general child misbehaviour could be linked to the decline in smacking kids as they're growing up.

It could also be argued that smacking kids could lead to them being violent themselves when they grwo up.

I intend to smack my child(ren) if they misbehave when I have them.

What do you feel about all this?
Tue 30/04/02 at 14:24
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I'd beat mine like a carpet.

Sometimes for legitimate reasons.
Tue 30/04/02 at 14:28
Regular
"not dead"
I think it's up to the parent to discipline the child in a way they see fit.

Mind you, I'm always pushing Malibu over for a laugh, because I think the way she says "Hey! Stop pushing me ober!" Is funny. That's not a typo, by the way, she says 'ober'. Oh, and I catch her, or only push her onto soft stuff, before you think I'm cruel.
Tue 30/04/02 at 14:32
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I still agree with Snuggly, you should make your two fight.
Tue 30/04/02 at 14:34
Regular
"I love Dave music"
I think that it is the only way that kids learn respect these days. I look at all my younger cousins, and think "I'd never talk back to an adult like that when I was a kid", I don't even really talk back to my parents now, and I'm 19!

Of course child abuse is wrong. I don't think anyone would argue against that, but kids these days don't just need protection, they need some discipline too.

I heard a story the other day on the radio: A father had told their kid, if a teacher tells you to do something you don't want to do, just say no. They can't do anything to make you.

What sort of an example is that to set a child? In fact, I think that letting kids get away with things like that is far worse than smacking them when they do something wrong.
Tue 30/04/02 at 14:36
Regular
"not dead"
I don't need to MAKE them fight, they go at it anyway.

Honestly, if Malibu is laying on the floor, and Georgia crawls by, Malibu will try to kick Georgia. So Georgia climbs on top of her. Only Malibu gets a bit rough because she's bigger, or Georgia tries to bite, so I have to stop it.
Tue 30/04/02 at 15:13
Regular
"Not your monkey"
I agree there YH.

Smacking as a genuine form of discipline is a good thing. If i wasn't smacked as a kid, I'd have kept doing things I shouldn't.

Discipline is severely lacking in most kids these days. The way they discipline their kids should be up to them (unless of course their discipline becomes abuse - problem is drawing the line)
Tue 30/04/02 at 15:48
Regular
The most convincing arguments i've heard on this are that it treaches kids to solve problems with violence and that it's cruel.

But, yeah, any form of punishment could be considered cruel. What next? You can't tell kids off because it could pshychologically harm them? You can't do anything to upset them? Sure, ideally you could sit your kid down (or ask them nicely to sit down?!) and talk to them, reason with them and they'd understand whatever they did wrong and never do it again, but they're kids, you can't do that all the time, not at all until a certain age. So you have to use other methods, which are better in the long run than letting the kid run around doing whatever it wants.

Teaching violence? Well, that seems to me a more compelling argument. I guess i'd need to know more about its effects before i could come to a conclusive opinion, but seeing as i'm not likely ever to know that kind of stuff, i'd probably end up only smacking my kids if it was absolutely necessary, and there was no better alternative. Which, thinking about it, probably would be incredibly infrequently, if ever.
Tue 30/04/02 at 15:57
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Of course we should smack them, there is nothing wrong with a smack as a final form of punishment. We have tried not to with ours at times but soemtimes it is the only thing that you can do to make the children know that you mean what you say to them.

There is a big difference between a smack on the back of the leg as a form of punsihment and beating a child. These do gooders need to understand this difference and stop trying to make this country even less disciplined than it already is.

The main reason kids behave the way they do a lot of the time is because they have no respect for law and order due to the fact that they have have not been disciplined at home or school due to these silly laws.

When I was at school I was caned twice (It bloody hurt) but I did learn my lesson because of it. It hasn't made me into some kind of child beater or a homicidal maniac ( It's playing GTA3 that did that !!)
Tue 30/04/02 at 16:49
it depends really if you smack them from an early age so that thier used to it, it is ok. But if you only start when the enter their teenage life, the'll feel threatend by you and proably grow up resenting you.

so it's ok, as long as you start early. :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.