GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"This is ridiculous..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 29/04/02 at 13:22
Regular
From AOL News:

THE European Court of Human Rights has ruled that the husband of terminally-ill Diane Pretty cannot help her to commit suicide.

She wants her husband Brian to be allowed to help her end her life without fear of prosecution.

The European court ruling was her last hope of a legal seal of approval to what she sees as her right to die with dignity.

The 43-year-old, who lives in Luton, Bedfordshire, is dying from motor neurone disease and her life expectancy is described as "very poor".

The mother-of-two turned to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg after the Director of Public Prosecutions refused to promise immunity for Brian and subsequent appeals were rejected.

Despite being paralysed from the neck down Mrs Pretty travelled with her husband by ambulance from her home to Strasbourg last month to be present for the half-day case in front of the Human Rights judges.

She heard her lawyer argue that denying her the right to an assisted death when she chooses is a breach of the Human Rights Convention, which outlaws "inhuman or degrading treatment".

- - - - - - - - - -

That's ridiculous. She wants to end her life. She's obviously reached the conclusion after discussions with her husband etc.

Why can't she go how she wants to. She wants to die with dignity, why do the courst have to get involved? I understand that euthanasia is illegal in this country, so her hsuband could go to jail.

I think that is wrong.

Thoughts?
Mon 29/04/02 at 23:36
Regular
"Wobble"
If you haven't already, why not sign the petition on her website?

http://www.justice4diane.org.uk/
Mon 29/04/02 at 23:39
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I'm sure she isn't the first or the last person who asks to be allowed to do such a thing. I can see it from the other side in that where do they draw the line, how many others will want to do the same??

I do disagree with it though, we should be allowed to live life as we want, but my personal belief is that nobody should ever want to take their own life, no matter what circumstances. Life isn't something that we can just take for granted. Also what about her husband, will he be able to go through with it and live with knowing what he has done?

I think there are a lot of issues that are unknown in this case. We will all have different views.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.