GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Getting Up In The Mornings"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/08/06 at 18:49
Regular
I feel like such a lazy git for writing this but...

Getting up in the mornings, when you don't have anything to get up for.
It's kind of hard isn't it?

Recently (last saturday) I finished my part-time stop-gap job, while looking for something permanant.
While I was working, I'd usually have to get up at sensible times (or at 4.30 am, for the odd 6 am start), but the days off I'd usually be in the pattern of getting up, of feel I'd earned the lie in.

My 4th day unemployed and already bad habits have set in. When you have nothing to wake up for, and never have anything to wake up for, it feels so pointless to get up, like it's not worth the hassle.
You can lie in bed where it's warm and comfortable, drift back into a peaceful sleep. And I can sleep for hours given the chance.

On one level, I'd like to get up, be productive, and live.
But when faced with that decision, it hits home that I've nothing to get up for.

I remember being a student. In my first year I was a total lamer, sleeping in far too much. In my second year I was a little better, but it wasn't until the workload was heavy and the pressure was on, in my third year, that I actually cut my sleep time down to sensible hours.

That's my one regret about uni life too - spending too much time sleeping and lazing about, and not enough time getting up, doing things, making the most of life.

But here I am, falling into the same cycle again.

I'm sure it'll change when I get a job. I'm better at sleeping early, and have more discipline for when I really do have to do things.

But I want to get up for the non-work days too, I want to change my mindset.

I want to overcome my passivity and live dynamically.

Am I just a lazy git?

Is there really anything worth getting up for, or would I spend those extra sleeping ours watching Trisha?

And just how do you overcome the short term comfort to actually live well?

Is it really just terrible self-discipline on my part? My mind doesn't seem to weigh up all the benefits when I'm bleary-eyed and fumbling for the alarm.
Wed 16/08/06 at 18:49
Regular
I feel like such a lazy git for writing this but...

Getting up in the mornings, when you don't have anything to get up for.
It's kind of hard isn't it?

Recently (last saturday) I finished my part-time stop-gap job, while looking for something permanant.
While I was working, I'd usually have to get up at sensible times (or at 4.30 am, for the odd 6 am start), but the days off I'd usually be in the pattern of getting up, of feel I'd earned the lie in.

My 4th day unemployed and already bad habits have set in. When you have nothing to wake up for, and never have anything to wake up for, it feels so pointless to get up, like it's not worth the hassle.
You can lie in bed where it's warm and comfortable, drift back into a peaceful sleep. And I can sleep for hours given the chance.

On one level, I'd like to get up, be productive, and live.
But when faced with that decision, it hits home that I've nothing to get up for.

I remember being a student. In my first year I was a total lamer, sleeping in far too much. In my second year I was a little better, but it wasn't until the workload was heavy and the pressure was on, in my third year, that I actually cut my sleep time down to sensible hours.

That's my one regret about uni life too - spending too much time sleeping and lazing about, and not enough time getting up, doing things, making the most of life.

But here I am, falling into the same cycle again.

I'm sure it'll change when I get a job. I'm better at sleeping early, and have more discipline for when I really do have to do things.

But I want to get up for the non-work days too, I want to change my mindset.

I want to overcome my passivity and live dynamically.

Am I just a lazy git?

Is there really anything worth getting up for, or would I spend those extra sleeping ours watching Trisha?

And just how do you overcome the short term comfort to actually live well?

Is it really just terrible self-discipline on my part? My mind doesn't seem to weigh up all the benefits when I'm bleary-eyed and fumbling for the alarm.
Wed 16/08/06 at 23:16
Regular
"Mooching around"
Sleep is the best part of my day... I feel sad now.
Thu 17/08/06 at 00:20
Regular
"The definitive tag"
I'm disgustingly lazy at the moment. On an average day I'm getting up at about 1.30 in the afternoon. Sometimes I don't bother getting up until about 3.30 - 4.00 because there's no point.
Thu 17/08/06 at 08:42
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
I don't know why, but when I wake up most mornings I just get up straight away. I shouldn't really, because I go to bed at 11-12, but I do. I'm just sort of restless, and the thought that the summer holidays are almost over sort of hits home.
Thu 17/08/06 at 09:55
"possibly impossible"
you should try having kids. Then you have to get up!

Mind yo, today I was supposed to get up early to go on a road trip (only abut my 4th day ever driving in Spain and I have to go on a 2.5 hour trip involving fast motorways, ouch!) but I didn´t and I´´m only just setting off in a minute.

Ah well. I´ll let you all know how it went when I get back...
Thu 17/08/06 at 12:58
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
That's a bit drastic as a fixer for laziness pb^^

:D

You are getting lazy Duck but there is nothing wrong with that in the short term. It's good to make the most of it before being bound to the alarm clock and a slave to the start of the working day. Plus if there actually is nothing much for you to do then staying in bed is preferable to daytime TV. That would just turn your brain to mush and lower your IQ to approx. -10.

Staying in bed til the afternoon - bliss! I don't have much on at the weekend (tend to make sure the housework is done during the week) but I can't seem to stay in bed past 10ish now. I miss spending 1/2 my life in bed :(
Thu 17/08/06 at 13:15
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
pb wrote:
> you should try having kids. Then you have to get up!

and dont i know it :P
Thu 17/08/06 at 13:21
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
If I don't have to get up for anything I'll stay in bed until I wake up, probably trying to catch up on sleep from the week as I'm up at 7-30 on weekdays.

At the weekend I'll usually get up about 10am but if I've been out until the early hours it'll be closer to midday.
Thu 17/08/06 at 17:19
Regular
Heh, after a night out it seems easier. I just wake up really early and find I have no interest in sleeping.

Maybe alcoholism is the solution. It seems to work for Snake...

Part of me would quite like to sleep early at night and get up early in the mornings too. I used to run at 6.30 am, when the roads were quiet and the chavs were off the street. In many regards Middlesbrough is a nasty little city, but early in the mornings, when the night's coastal winds have swept away the stench of cars and trash, the air can be great.

There's a song by the Eels with the lyrics
"I go to bed real early,
Everybody things it's strange.
I get up early in the morning,
No matter how disappointed I was with the day before it feels new."

It seems like a nice way of living.

The problem is that I don't think I'd get up early in the mornings. I'd just sleep early and still get up late :^S
Thu 17/08/06 at 19:57
Regular
Seeing as I have terrible trouble sleeping in general, I don't feel the slightest bit guilty about sleeping in on days off. Perhaps if it gets to 2 or 3pm I'll consider it a bit of a waste, but right now I'll take all the sleep I can get.

Oh and alcoholism doesn't work whoever said that :) It might help you to drop off initially, but chances are you'll wake in the night, it screws up your chances of getting decent restful sleep.

Tried pretty much anything and everything for insomnia, all rubbish. So I envy you duck ...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.