GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Getting Up In The Mornings"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/08/06 at 18:49
Regular
I feel like such a lazy git for writing this but...

Getting up in the mornings, when you don't have anything to get up for.
It's kind of hard isn't it?

Recently (last saturday) I finished my part-time stop-gap job, while looking for something permanant.
While I was working, I'd usually have to get up at sensible times (or at 4.30 am, for the odd 6 am start), but the days off I'd usually be in the pattern of getting up, of feel I'd earned the lie in.

My 4th day unemployed and already bad habits have set in. When you have nothing to wake up for, and never have anything to wake up for, it feels so pointless to get up, like it's not worth the hassle.
You can lie in bed where it's warm and comfortable, drift back into a peaceful sleep. And I can sleep for hours given the chance.

On one level, I'd like to get up, be productive, and live.
But when faced with that decision, it hits home that I've nothing to get up for.

I remember being a student. In my first year I was a total lamer, sleeping in far too much. In my second year I was a little better, but it wasn't until the workload was heavy and the pressure was on, in my third year, that I actually cut my sleep time down to sensible hours.

That's my one regret about uni life too - spending too much time sleeping and lazing about, and not enough time getting up, doing things, making the most of life.

But here I am, falling into the same cycle again.

I'm sure it'll change when I get a job. I'm better at sleeping early, and have more discipline for when I really do have to do things.

But I want to get up for the non-work days too, I want to change my mindset.

I want to overcome my passivity and live dynamically.

Am I just a lazy git?

Is there really anything worth getting up for, or would I spend those extra sleeping ours watching Trisha?

And just how do you overcome the short term comfort to actually live well?

Is it really just terrible self-discipline on my part? My mind doesn't seem to weigh up all the benefits when I'm bleary-eyed and fumbling for the alarm.
Mon 21/08/06 at 13:14
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Not bad yourself?

If I'm feeling a bit tired and need an energy boost I usually have a banana which seems to work and get me through the afternoon.
Mon 21/08/06 at 13:12
Regular
"..."
Smedlos wrote:
> I'm having my usual Monday midday dip at the minute I wasn't up
> until 11 yesterday and Monday mornings I'm fine but it catches
> up with me around now.

Alright Smeds, I used to have the same problem, but I found that having a couple of pieces of fruit as a mid-morning snack level me out.
Mon 21/08/06 at 13:10
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I'm having my usual Monday midday dip at the minute I wasn't up until 11 yesterday and Monday mornings I'm fine but it catches up with me around now.

I always mean to set my alarm for about 9-30 so I'm up a couple of hours later than I usually would be in the week but can never be bothered and if I do I just turn it off and go back to sleep.

Will be bright and alert tomorrow though (hopefully!)
Mon 21/08/06 at 13:09
Regular
"..."
Enjoy it whilst you can, that would be my advice Mumbai. I was exactly like you when I was a student and yes I did feel like I was missing out. But once you have a full-time job and you have to squish all your 'fun' into a weekend, you suddenly feel much more inclined to get up. It's even worse when you have your own house, as I often find myself getting up early to clean stuff/do odd jobs...

So, yeah, enjoy your lazyness now, because god knows, in the rest of your life, you'll be forced not to be.
Mon 21/08/06 at 11:10
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
All the tax monkeys I've had to deal with have all been very nice. Good luck with the interview :)
Sun 20/08/06 at 22:25
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Mumbai Duck wrote:
> I'm interviewing in Brighton next friday to be a Trainee Tax
> Monkey.

Tax Monkey? Tax Monkey?!?

What kinda Tax Monkey? Not some annoying person sending out council tax letters to poor innocent student-types I should hope...
Sun 20/08/06 at 21:44
Regular
And I don't want any more Kelly posts from you Ole.

It doesn't have to be Katie posts, just so long as they're about some other girl :^)
Sun 20/08/06 at 21:43
Regular
I'm interviewing in Brighton next friday to be a Trainee Tax Monkey.

Work is work. As I'm increasingly growing to accept.
But if you're looking for inspiration, I'd recommend:
Finding Your Own North Star - Martha Beck
What Colour is Your Parachute - Richard Nelson Bolles

And sleeping with a dozen women of course :^D

I was looking into plumbing too, but it seems I've missed the boat now.

Just so long as I find something I can be happy enough doing. I think the tax monkey position is that.

No ideas what you'd do if it weren't carpentry then?
Sun 20/08/06 at 21:09
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Heh, well, I'm actually back at the old company again!! :S

Same company, different job (I'm a joiner this time, stuff the customers!). Yeah, old what's-her-name's still there... But I can live with it this time. I learnt a lot in the two months I spent away from the place (even though that job didn't work out in the end). Money's MUCH better here anyhow! ;D

There's a new worm digging in to my brain these days and her name's Katie Melua - you may or may not have heard of her... ;D
But I've never even seen or heard the girl speak in person - just a distant dream, I guess...

How're things with you these days?

I see you're unemployed - still trying to find out what you want to do?

I've been doing carpentry for three years now and I'm still not convinced it's what I want to do - maybe that's just life? Or work.
Sun 20/08/06 at 21:02
Regular
What's the new job, btw? Still carpenting I hope.

Just tell me there's nobody called Kelly there :^D

Although now that I mention it, I think I blindly stumbled across the answer to those such dilemmas today.
"Go sleep with a dozen other women then look at her again and see if she still seems so special."

I wish someone had told me that a few years ago :^)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.