GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can everyone write their best web design tips here, we can make a ultimate tips post!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/04/02 at 19:43
Regular
Ok this post will act like a massive book of knowledge instead theres no book and its not likely you will find any knowlege here.

But anyway post your best webdesign tips, coz everytime sum 1 visits a site they see something they dunno how to do and really want to know how.

This way we can help everyone! Get posting!
Sun 28/04/02 at 19:43
Ok this post will act like a massive book of knowledge instead theres no book and its not likely you will find any knowlege here.

But anyway post your best webdesign tips, coz everytime sum 1 visits a site they see something they dunno how to do and really want to know how.

This way we can help everyone! Get posting!
Mon 29/04/02 at 16:20
1. Never use frames, they are a lazy developer's tool, and they destroy your chances of getting decent search engine listings.

2. Make it easy to use, learn from the old boo.com... leading edge can be "bleeding" edge technology. Nobody wants to download a plugin for 15 minutes just to view your navigation bar which is based in Flash MX which only came out last month, dammit. Check out how simple this web site is. If your content is good enough, you don't need whizz-bang technology to tart it up. Just HTML and a database.

3. Look at the stuff that you like on the web, view the source code and learn from it, but don't do all-out copies of designs.
Mon 29/04/02 at 18:19
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
funkygamer wrote:
> 1. Never use frames, they are a lazy developer's tool, and they
> destroy your chances of getting decent search engine listings.
>

I think its more appropriate to say, don't use frames to cut corners. Or only use frames if essential. Quite unfair to say they are a lazy developer's tool anyway.

-G
Mon 29/04/02 at 22:00
Keep your websites nice and simple. No-body likes a hundred and million things to look at on webpages.
Oh... and if your doing a website involving money use white is known to look more trustworthy...
Tue 30/04/02 at 07:52
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Small and simple, that's the key. However, no matter how a website looks, if it's about your neighbour's uncle's breakfasr's milk or what size you shoes are, absolutely no one will visit.
Tue 30/04/02 at 10:50
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Is that coming from personnel experience? :)
I'd say a good colour scheme is essential, work out what your going to use at the start, make a set list for all the colours and try them out, if you get colours that don't match you site will look pants, also get colours that match the idea of your websites. If it's got lots of content try and keep the colours intresting, but not something the users going to think is offputting.
Tue 30/04/02 at 12:44
Garin wrote:
> I think its more appropriate to say, don't use frames to cut corners.
> Or only use frames if essential. Quite unfair to say they are a lazy
> developer's tool anyway.

I have to disagree.

It's all too easy to design a website that is complicated and big to use, by just using frames to effectively "break" the way that users interact with a web site. Not using frames to build a large site takes thought and preperation, many developers (and designers) just use frames to avoid having to actually work out a decent user interface. And if your site is small, it shouldn't need frames.

Frames stop users from book marking pages, and they stop search engines from effictely spidering your site, they make you work harder in the long run, and they just look so 90's now anyway.

Show me a world class web site that uses frames.
Tue 30/04/02 at 20:22
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Really good backgrounds always help. Cough.
Tue 30/04/02 at 21:58
Regular
"How Handy."
Yeah, but they need to be really good. I'm yet to see a really good one. cough.
Tue 30/04/02 at 22:14
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
funkygamer wrote:
> It's all too easy to design a website that is complicated and big to
> use, by just using frames to effectively "break" the way
> that users interact with a web site. Not using frames to build a
> large site takes thought and preperation, many developers (and
> designers) just use frames to avoid having to actually work out a
> decent user interface. And if your site is small, it shouldn't need
> frames.
>

Yeah, which is why I said frames should only be used if essential, rather than to cut corners. All I actually wanted to say was its unfair to call developers who use frames lazy because there are actually good reasons to use frames sometimes.

But whatever....

-G

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.