GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo's ongoing problem"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/04/02 at 12:52
Regular
I remember reading a while ago that Nintendo had said that they wanted to loose their “childish” imagine that they once had with N64 behind them, and start a fresh with the Gamecube. I thought to myself that this will be interesting. This is exactly what Nintendo could do with, games and software which will interest the older gamer. The N64 had a reputation for “childish” games on it, without offering too much for the older gamer. With this is mind, I would have expected Nintendo to design the Gamecube will the intensions of both the younger and older gamer in mind.

Well, I was a little surprised when I first saw the actual console. It was chunky, purple, and almost cuddly. I cringed at the sight of it, however it did have 4 controller ports on it. It was also very compact, so it wasn’t that bad. The design of the console isn’t the most important thing, but it is always nice to have it looking stylish and trendy!

When I first saw the controller for the first time, I literally giggled at its looks. Big, colourful, and the buttons were huge… something a 7 year old would love.
I cannot imagine my father holding this pad in a million years! It just has something about it which makes it look like a under 12 controller. Ah well, it’s only the controller, this wont affect the actual games. Looking at the games, all I notice is Mario, Luigi, some sort of dinosaur, and creatures you find in your garden… very childish. Don’t get me wrong, these games will still probably be great, but they aren’t going to interest the older gamer much, are they?

They do have games like Resident Evil, which is more suited to the older gamer, but it is also on other consoles, so not a reason to buy the Gamecube.

Maybe Nintendo just cannot shrug off their childish imagine that they have, which is a great shame. I am really concerned that the Gamecube will not sell as good as it is expected to…what I really want to know is will the Gamecube have the dreaded “childish” imagine with it?
Sun 28/04/02 at 14:19
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Or†ega wrote:
> Gamecube looks ace in black :P

Hear, hear!

I think the 'Cube is THE most stylish console out!
And since when was Rogue Leader 'kiddy'?
Or Wave Race: Blue Storm, for that matter, hmm?
Sun 28/04/02 at 14:16
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Yeah, Resident Evil is GC exclusive...

...however, it flopped in Japan, and RE will be on PS2, too :-(

Dringo, read my post will ya? It's about the Gamecube controller, I'd like to know what you think.
Sun 28/04/02 at 14:14
Regular
heh, Even Nintendo Official magazine have dropped the kiddy look and it looks like a proper magazine now :)

Even dropped the "greystation" and "dreampants" name.

Gamecube looks ace in black :P
Sun 28/04/02 at 14:14
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
You do NOT want to get on the wrong side of the Dringo man. Not when talking about Nintendo. He's "a vicious life-sucking-****h from which there is no escape!" :-D
Sun 28/04/02 at 13:40
Regular
Oh and are you aware of how well the cube has been recieved over here with over 50,000 pre-orders in the UK alone.
Sun 28/04/02 at 13:39
Regular
It isn't that the console is childish, it is an extrmley sophisticated piece of kit but its their attitude which if they change i will leave gaming.

Sony are a company that strives on sophisitcated look and appeal with realistic graphics but with Nintendo it is who cares abou graphics let your mind go wild. SEGA are the same would we be seeing 4 monkeys in balls on a Playstation, no and Sony are missing out because of it. Nintendo's attitude towards the industry is an immature attitude not sophisitcated like Sony and Microsoft but fun and silly. Which is what gaming is all about... expect a post on this soon.

As for Resident Evil, on other consoles??? Really??? Since when was Resident Evil on other consoles? And Eternal Darkness and Too Human??? ar ethey on other consoles too, or Perfect Dark (touch wood) or MEtroid or Conker... Nintendo have loads of exclusive adult titles.
Sun 28/04/02 at 12:52
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
I remember reading a while ago that Nintendo had said that they wanted to loose their “childish” imagine that they once had with N64 behind them, and start a fresh with the Gamecube. I thought to myself that this will be interesting. This is exactly what Nintendo could do with, games and software which will interest the older gamer. The N64 had a reputation for “childish” games on it, without offering too much for the older gamer. With this is mind, I would have expected Nintendo to design the Gamecube will the intensions of both the younger and older gamer in mind.

Well, I was a little surprised when I first saw the actual console. It was chunky, purple, and almost cuddly. I cringed at the sight of it, however it did have 4 controller ports on it. It was also very compact, so it wasn’t that bad. The design of the console isn’t the most important thing, but it is always nice to have it looking stylish and trendy!

When I first saw the controller for the first time, I literally giggled at its looks. Big, colourful, and the buttons were huge… something a 7 year old would love.
I cannot imagine my father holding this pad in a million years! It just has something about it which makes it look like a under 12 controller. Ah well, it’s only the controller, this wont affect the actual games. Looking at the games, all I notice is Mario, Luigi, some sort of dinosaur, and creatures you find in your garden… very childish. Don’t get me wrong, these games will still probably be great, but they aren’t going to interest the older gamer much, are they?

They do have games like Resident Evil, which is more suited to the older gamer, but it is also on other consoles, so not a reason to buy the Gamecube.

Maybe Nintendo just cannot shrug off their childish imagine that they have, which is a great shame. I am really concerned that the Gamecube will not sell as good as it is expected to…what I really want to know is will the Gamecube have the dreaded “childish” imagine with it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.