GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo's ongoing problem"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/04/02 at 12:52
Regular
I remember reading a while ago that Nintendo had said that they wanted to loose their “childish” imagine that they once had with N64 behind them, and start a fresh with the Gamecube. I thought to myself that this will be interesting. This is exactly what Nintendo could do with, games and software which will interest the older gamer. The N64 had a reputation for “childish” games on it, without offering too much for the older gamer. With this is mind, I would have expected Nintendo to design the Gamecube will the intensions of both the younger and older gamer in mind.

Well, I was a little surprised when I first saw the actual console. It was chunky, purple, and almost cuddly. I cringed at the sight of it, however it did have 4 controller ports on it. It was also very compact, so it wasn’t that bad. The design of the console isn’t the most important thing, but it is always nice to have it looking stylish and trendy!

When I first saw the controller for the first time, I literally giggled at its looks. Big, colourful, and the buttons were huge… something a 7 year old would love.
I cannot imagine my father holding this pad in a million years! It just has something about it which makes it look like a under 12 controller. Ah well, it’s only the controller, this wont affect the actual games. Looking at the games, all I notice is Mario, Luigi, some sort of dinosaur, and creatures you find in your garden… very childish. Don’t get me wrong, these games will still probably be great, but they aren’t going to interest the older gamer much, are they?

They do have games like Resident Evil, which is more suited to the older gamer, but it is also on other consoles, so not a reason to buy the Gamecube.

Maybe Nintendo just cannot shrug off their childish imagine that they have, which is a great shame. I am really concerned that the Gamecube will not sell as good as it is expected to…what I really want to know is will the Gamecube have the dreaded “childish” imagine with it?
Tue 30/04/02 at 17:21
Regular
"Link to the Future"
I walked into my local EB to buy a magazine with an about to expire voucher and it was rather like walking into GameCube land. There were adverts hanging from the ceiling, windows were filled with GameCube boxes and adverts. There was a stand with a GC pre-order book right in the middle of the store and another two stands with the new FIFA game on them, nearest the door and first you saw was the GC version. Those little CDs of course but no pod, my local EB is too small to have any pods *sob* *sob*.
Mon 29/04/02 at 11:35
Regular
Woolworths and Smiths aint exactly big games retailiers...

Woolworths did have a entire page spread in "THE Mirror" on saturday advertising thier Gamecube + Luigi + Rogue Leader + Memory card package for £199 though.

My Local Game/EB and toys'r'us all have Gamecube pods with Gamecube game boxes on display ready to pre-order. Must have seen the Gamecube advert on TV quite a few times now...Suppose it depends what you watch on TV. Its on nearly everytime there is a football match on Sky Sports.
Mon 29/04/02 at 00:26
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Same here, I've not seen a single piece of GameCube promotional material ANYWHERE, not even in games shops. With the launch merely days away, that's quite worrying, isn't it?

OK, admittadly I haven't been to a games shop in a month or so now, but still, you'd expect Woolworths or Smiths to be showing something, I go in there all the time.
Sun 28/04/02 at 22:37
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
50,000 pre orders already. Sounds good doesn't it? But I firmly believe Nintendo arn't home and dry...

Who has pre ordered these 50,000 cubes. Answer: Nintendo fans like yourself. After all the Gamecube fans in the country buy one at launch, who will be left to by buy the console?

Casual Gamers by and large, won't be interested. PS2 and Xbox are at £200 which is very reasonable (I saw 2 ppl buy an xbox on saterday, the price drop has done the trick).

The fifty thousand preoreders are from Nintendo fans and apart from them, you may find no-one else wants the machine. The GaameCube launch in the US is and example of this. All the GC fans bought it on day one, but after that sales slowed dramaticaly and Xbox sales flew on past. The same thing will happen in the UK I reckon.

That is why the Xbox launch was more of a sucess. It sold less, but it was more of an achievement. No-one thaught they could do it but they sold a significant amont of consoles worldwide and have made a mark in the industry. All this WITHOUT a fan base.

And as for the GC hype, WHERE IS IT?!?

I have only seen the Ad once and I got mixed messages. The start(people in Cubes) seamed Adult but the last few seconds( Colourfull footage with a young boys face in the corner looking like he just found a Kinder surprise) were downright childish. Nintendo want the GC to appeal to everyone but unless it targets a SPECIFIC audience no-one may be interested.
Sun 28/04/02 at 21:53
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:

>
> Besides, the kiddy image is good for Nintendo. Think about it: They're
> aiming at families and young gamers, because that's what their image
> dictates. If they try to bring out loads of "mature" titles,
> families may be put off it because of its average content, yet the
> 18-30s stil don't want it because of its traditional kiddy images,
> that fact that it looks like it rolled off the back of a Fisher Price
> wagon, and Sony/Microsoft have that marked completely wrapped up.

Microsoft release: Feb 2002 and has sold 116,000 consoles since then in Japan in the same country on day 1 Nintendo sold 300,000. I see a distinct lack of knowledge of the fact Nintendo have kicked Microsoft in the face and has now become a popular game, Choices St. neots have sold 20 Gamecubes, local games shop 22 and Woolworths 17... and i didn't know it was that popular?????

And people who used to really insult Nintendo are saying £130??? Lets look at those games, they seem quite good. In fact i heared a guy i don't particualry like a popular hard hitting guy say, "Pikmin looks fun???" Combined with the Advertisement blitz in the UK (you seen that cube in London ha ha ha a Nun with a Guitar).... Nintendo are back and Sony may be far ahead but expect the gap to get shorter.
Sun 28/04/02 at 21:45
Regular
Shocktrooper wrote:
> Yeah, Resident Evil is GC exclusive...
>
> ...however, it flopped in Japan, and RE will be on PS2, too :-(
>
> Dringo, read my post will ya? It's about the Gamecube controller, I'd
> like to know what you think.

Erm ok but a flop in Japan, we read different things mate. It never reched number one (in Famitsu it did in Game Network and several other places) but was in the tope 5 at one point... flop indeed.

PS2 RE's is a crappy first person shooter and RE online that no ones knows if other consoles are getting or even what it looks like.
Sun 28/04/02 at 21:22
Regular
"Link to the Future"
Nintendo games have a magical aura to them, something any other game has yet to do. When you look make at Mario 64 you think of the big cactuses in shifting-sand land, and the surreal big-boo mansion. You just can't look back at a game like GTA3 in the same way and think "what a unique experience." well actually it's not, go outside arm yourself gun-down a couple of people in the street steal and car etc. You can't go jumping around over hot lava like Mario or ride on magic carpets or surf on koopa shells. That's the Nintendo diffrence, well maybe.
Sun 28/04/02 at 15:49
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I don't want Nintendo to throw away this so-called 'kiddy image' they apparently have, that'd be a bad thing for me, and many other Nintendo fans.

Nintendo are a company good at creating certain types of games. The likes of Mario and Zelda for example somehow fall under the 'kiddy' category, and without those games, Ninty just wouldn't be Ninty!
It may seem like a better idea to some people, but another console full of the likes of Resident Evil and co. just wouldn't be right.
The X-box and PS2 are similar enough with their games already, what we don't need is another machine just to give gamers a third option for a console to choose for these types of games.

I say that Nintendo should keep on producing the Marios, the Zeldas, and maybe more of the likes of Pikmin!
They offer all gamers something different, a lot more variety in what they can choose to play.

Surely anyone would get sick after a load of FPS's and 18-rated games. So lets thank Nintendo for bringing us some great Adventure and Platform games that can be enjoyed by anyone. And let's hope they never stop dong such a good job!!
Sun 28/04/02 at 15:39
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
Nintendo are left in
> a half-way house position and sales fall through the brightly coloured
> floor.

As pointed out by Dringo below, Pre-orders have already hit 50,000 in the UK. Gamecube is off to a nice start, and should be a sell out at launch. And should carry on being a success at that oh so lovely £129.99 price tag.
Sun 28/04/02 at 15:34
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Ah, but the Q looks SO much nicer..

However, you all name about 5 mature titles and think this shrugs off the childish image? Of course there are exceptions, but 5 is nothing in comparison to the literally hundreds on the PS2 already. Sure, most of them may not be of much quality, but average Gamer Joe doesn't care.

Besides, the kiddy image is good for Nintendo. Think about it: They're aiming at families and young gamers, because that's what their image dictates. If they try to bring out loads of "mature" titles, families may be put off it because of its average content, yet the 18-30s stil don't want it because of its traditional kiddy images, that fact that it looks like it rolled off the back of a Fisher Price wagon, and Sony/Microsoft have that marked completely wrapped up. There's no room for the GC in that market anyway. Nintendo are left in a half-way house position and sales fall through the brightly coloured floor.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.