GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Favourite Film Car Chases"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/04/02 at 03:05
Regular
I have a simple rule when it comes to films, if there are no car chases, then the movie isn't as good as it could be.
What are your favoutite petrol-pumping moments?

a few of my personal faves:
1)TAXI: with the mopeds at the beginning and the chase on the bridge at the end. Amazing.

2)RONIN: Expensive German cars thrashed through various European cities. A-list cast and abundance of guns is a welcome bonus.

3)GONE IN 60 SECONDS: The whole premise of this film was genius to me. No other film features so many expensive cars dropping cogs in such style.

4)JAMES BOND: There are too many amazing Bond chases to mention. Although, off the topics of cars, that Missippi river boat chase will forever stay a classic.

5)MAD MAX 2: The car chase at the beginning with gimps on motorbikes and exploding dune buggies. You can't ask for much more than that.
Tue 30/04/02 at 16:16
Regular
"95% organic"
Totoro wrote:
> Shame on you all!
> Nobody has mentioned Bullitt! Steve McQueen driving around San
> Francisco is classic stuff.
> An what about Herbie??!!(not really)
>

Ah yes, Bullit certainly deserves a mention... and I guess Herbie belongs alongside the Cannonball Run films and Wacky Races for sheer absurdity of it all.
Tue 30/04/02 at 11:26
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
The car chase in 'The Man With the Golden Gun' is one of the best Bond car chases.
Scaramanga and Nick Nack in their brown? car against Bond & Sheriff Pepper in the red AMC Hornet Hatchback, screeching through the busy traffic.
Then when Bond does the corkscrew over the small bride is great stuff. That stunt was VERY carefully planned out using computer simulations, something that was very rare at the time as it was quite a long time ago. And it was done perfectly on the first take.

Bond reverses the car and faces the small bridge.
Pepper--"You're not..."
Bond in a slightly redneck accent--"I sure am boy!"

Classic. Roger Moore rules!!
Tue 30/04/02 at 11:16
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
The French Connection.

William Freidkin had no permit to film, so he and the stunt driver got in and did it for real.
The people diving out the way? Real pedestrians. Real cars, read red-lights being run.

No set-ups or fancy stunts, just a for-real car chase.
Watch it again now you know that.

Best car-chase ever.
Tue 30/04/02 at 11:13
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Shame on you all!
Nobody has mentioned Bullitt! Steve McQueen driving around San Francisco is classic stuff.
An what about Herbie??!!(not really)

There's also a good car chase/stunt in Jackie Chans Police Story. The amazing hillside car chase is Jackie’s favourite ever stunts
After a failed stakeout, the criminals escape by driving through a mountain village, smashing everything in their path.
Jackie chases them in another car and chaos ensues (injuring many stuntmen in the process!)
When they reach the bottom, the criminals hijack a double-decker bus, Jackie’s car is smashed, so he grabs an umbrella and hooks on to the bus with it.
Although he gets thrown from the speeding bus, he gets up and chases it down a very steep embankment and intercepts it later down the road.

One of my other favourite car chases is in the Japanese anime film 'The Castle of Cagliostro'. Set in a beautiful mountainous area, our heroes in their small yellow Fiat 500 have got a flat tire so are changing it, when all of a sudden some baddies in a big black car chasing a girl in a pink Citroen 2cv speed past.
Our heroes jump back into their tiny car and speed after the baddies to rescue the girl. Cue lots of gunfire, narrow misses of oncoming traffic, driving up very steep hills flying over bumps in the road and more.
It's quite a short chase but very good.

And there's another decent chase in another anime film called 'Lupin III: The Fuma Conspiracy'. It's quite similar to the one i mentioned above, with police cars involved, driving on rooftops, through water, over thin wooden bridges.
Sun 28/04/02 at 12:37
Regular
French Connection, Blues Brothers.

Just wanna hear that line one more time...
Sun 28/04/02 at 11:08
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Enigma had a fantastic car chase. REALLY tense!

If you have seen this film then you will know that I am joking. If you haven't then you now know that I am joking. :-D

And Swordfish had a crap car chase too. Mind you, the Tusken itself was nice.
Sun 28/04/02 at 10:49
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Yeah Ronin has to take this one for me too, although I love the Gone in 60 car chase.

Other car chases that kick ass!

Romeo Must Die: Car vs. Two Motorbikes, plus ninja action afterwards!

Blues Brothers: All the way through!

Bad Boys: The high speed bit at the end, not really a chase as much as a race, but still cool. (They're doing a sequel by the way!)
Sun 28/04/02 at 10:39
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Ronin is one of my favourite car chase movies aswell. Its good how the director got the actors to really drive the cars at such speeds, you can see the sheet scared look in their faces as they just miss innocent bystanders.

One car chase film which I found dissapointing was Gone in 60 Seconds. There was only on on the edge of your seat car chase, and that was way at the end. I was hoping for more.
Sun 28/04/02 at 10:07
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Ronin had some excellent car chases in. Mind you, that one in French Connection was brilliant too. But Ronin has to win for me.
Sun 28/04/02 at 09:20
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
There's one problem with your theory, being that a film is only good when it has a car chase in it. Lord of the rings and Gladiator are my all time favourite films but cars are yet to be seen in them, yet they are great. The flop in your theory is the fact that some films are based further ago than when the motor car was invented.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.