GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Social Drinking"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 26/04/02 at 19:23
Regular
Just the odd pint with a mate...

What's with that...

Alcohol is disgusting and the only reason most people drink it is to get drunk....

Simple as that... if not your drinking a glass of a really bad tasting substance.
Wed 01/05/02 at 18:33
Regular
"That's right!"
Recently, every time I've gone to town with my mate Fos, we've always ended up in Wetherspoons (famous pub, there's probably one near you) to have a pint, or if I'm feeling in a "spendy" mood, a bottle of Bud

Just the other day he had two bottles of some foreign beer, and I had a pint of Fosters, then we both had a Bacardi and coke. The whole time, and every time we do it, we're joking and talking, we're not getting lashed off our faces
Tue 30/04/02 at 16:44
Regular
"95% organic"
Lager is generally a pretty nasty drink in the UK. Most of the big brands here ram so many preservatives etc into a bottle that lager-hangovers seem to keep getting more severe. I recentley discovered that boozy bevs without artificial additives don't seem to make you feel ill. Beers like Leffe and Duvel may get you more wibbly than a few pints of Stella, but are virtually headache free.

Social drinking's fine, especially cocktails and fine wine bla de bla, but 'social smoking', that is pointless.
Tue 30/04/02 at 16:10
I used to hate the taste of lager when I first started drinking, so for some bizarre reason me and my mates all started supping massive bottles of strong white cider that smelt of puke.

Now, Ohhhh man, I love my beer. Nothing better on a hot day than going to a nice country pub with a lush green beer garden, with the sound of a small stream at the bottom. Cold, crisp, golden pint glistening in the sunlight, condensation has formed all over the glass and there's one bead of water sliding down the side. Ohh man my mouth's watering like mad. It's only situations like that when I can handle so-called social drinking.

Ordinarily I can't just have a jar or two and go home, if we go to the local boozer at opening time and then go home after 1 or 2 pints, I just fall asleep and wake up with a steaming headache.
If I stay out all day until closing time, I feel fine. Not even a hangover in the morning, can get up for work same as usual (until I've been at it for 3 days)

Just recently though, I've noticed that I can't drink as much beer so have to start on the shorts early.
Sat 27/04/02 at 11:00
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Good example:

Yesterday, bad day. Lots on my mind at the mo', family stuff and lots of work at uni. Get home in a really bad mood. Don't want to do anywork. Friends have all finished exams and going down the pub. I go down for one drink. Lets me let off some steam for an hour or so. Then I can come home, with a nice clear head, (not a drunk head mind you!) and did some productive work. That, my friends, is a social drink. And it is good for you.

Oh, and on Wednesday, when all my project is finished, I intend to go out and get MASHED!!!
Sat 27/04/02 at 10:46
"possibly impossible"
The thing is that most other european cultures have beer with their meals and not all at once down the pub. The problem in Britain is that there is a culture of trying to fit as many beers into the one session as possible. Having a beer at lunchtime while you eat is probably the most healthy way to take alcohol, and one or two bottles in the evening doesn't hurt if you're eating and don't do it all the time, but people in this country just seem to have no power over when they drink, or indeed, when they stop.

If you look at our pub culture, it doesn't really make sense, especially if you look at the price of alcohol in this country. But there you go, it's not really logical and it's just something that we as a country have been brought up with.

Social drinking is fine if you go out at lunchtime and have a drink with friends, but you should ask yourself why you drink WHAT you do. Do you really like beer? There are plenty of other substitutes, many of them non-alcoholic. Personally, I don't like the taste of most beers from pubs, and the ones I go in never have Spanish beer, which I think is so much nicer.

The other question, and the one that really tests why you drink what you do is 'would you drink the same beer if it was alcohol free but tasted the same?' That should give you a clue as to whether it's the alcohol or the taste that lets you decide.

My personal experience involves getting drunk on cider, wine and beer and none of these experiences have been good ones. I could have easily had just as much fun with a small amount or no alcohol at all. There were various reasons for me getting drunk at these different stages, but none of them logical. But then, depression can make you do strange things.

I will not be getting drunk again any time soon though, it's too much hastle and you just know that it's not doing anything healthy to you inside.
Fri 26/04/02 at 23:06
Regular
"Excommunicated"
VenomByte wrote:

Unless you're going to be one of those poofs who sticks to the alcopops all the time ;)

----

No I don't drink them. I'm saying I only drink vodka/beer to get drunk... and it seems a waste to drink that crap if you don't get drunk... I'm sure I'll change when I get older.
Fri 26/04/02 at 23:02
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Eventually y'see, you actually start to like the taste of lager, and so you're more than willing to drink it on an occasion when you don't intend to get plastered.

Once you acutally start to like it, you'll appreciate social drinking.

Unless you're going to be one of those poofs who sticks to the alcopops all the time ;)
Fri 26/04/02 at 22:55
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Drinking with group of friends - Pissup
Social Drinking - Few pints down the pub

I'm sure you grow into it while your older... right now, nah
Fri 26/04/02 at 22:40
Regular
At the end of the day you've got two choices if you're of a college/university age.

Stay in and watch telly, or go down the pub with your mates.

If you're too weak willed to say "No, I don't want to go to the pub" and just go along then you feel you have to, then you get no sympathy from me.

However, I would chose to go to the pub with my mates, unless I had a real reason not to, being ill or whatever.

As for some people just going out to get completely ratted, I do that sometimes. Nowhere near as regularly as once a week, probably not even once a month.

But I do it. Every so often I get really drunk and spend all day sunday feeling crap. I do it KNOWING I'll spend the next day feeling crap. Why do I do it? Who knows. Maybe it's so I remember how horrible it is to feel like that, so I'm careful again for the next little while.

Or maybe I do it because it's a release. When you're drunk nothing matters.

Who knows? The fact is I do it, and that's that. I've just turned 21 by the way, in case you're wondering.
Fri 26/04/02 at 22:34
Your Honour wrote:
Because they're your mates, they're not
> going to say anything if you don't want to drink.
>
Well, you never know these days. Fascism may be getting a seat in France, and we have school massacres going on in Germany - what is this world coming to? Back to the topic, that's a good point what you said about your definition of social drinking. I think that it should be going out with your mates and drinking, but was saying WHY some people go out doing it, and it's for the wrong reasons in my opinion.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.