GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My definition of spam"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/04/02 at 17:23
Regular
Not entertaining, or informative. Entertaining is the really important word here. One line can be entertaining, seventy pages can be entertaining. However, this forum seems to be filled with legions of people who think they're funny. True, most of them are notables, but there seems to be a really big problem with topics that make nobody smile, and are only full of biased bullcrap that nobody has any intention of bothering with.

Instead of commenting on why everyone else but you is wrong, why not write about something you've thought about recently, or even something creative, fake interviews, stories, anything.

Spam is something that nobody will want to waste their time reading, or reply to. Other than the obvious reasons.

If you have a different view, I'll love to hear it.
Thu 25/04/02 at 19:09
I find that too
Thu 25/04/02 at 19:06
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
illzen wrote:
> But to be honest, my last few threads have all tried to be creative or
> amusing and no-one really responded.

I agree man... When I'm not spamming, I generally try to write posts on something original, topics I havnt read on the site before... However, I then get the joy of seeing it slide to the bottom of the pile without getting a single responce...

As annoying as 'Why The XBow will Fail', 'Last Movie You Watched', type etc.. posts are, they are the ones people respond to, and a lot of the time they dont seem to be prepared to write for any other type of topic??
Thu 25/04/02 at 18:56
Regular
Oh yeah, and complaining about spam seems to create more spam than the actual spam. Yes.
Thu 25/04/02 at 18:51
"Darkness, always"
last time i looked, spam was defined as a type of processed meat.

maybe i'm wrong on that one though...
Thu 25/04/02 at 18:23
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
And then there are the posts that are good but are hard to reply to.

Just thought I would mention that.
Thu 25/04/02 at 18:20
Regular
* A tumble weed rolls across the forum*
Thu 25/04/02 at 18:12
Regular
"95% organic"
I see your point (...so you might wanna do your flies up)
But to be honest, my last few threads have all tried to be creative or amusing and no-one really responded. By your definition that would suggest i was inadvertently spamming. But if I was to make cynical remarks about certain consoles, I would probably get more attention from many of the forum users than if I was to just write a tongue-in-cheek feature?

I don't know if I made that point very well, but I think what you're saying whiffs of comedy-fascism. You're asking people to "write about something you've thought about recently, or even something creative" and yet, at the same time, you're criticising people for writing about what they think is funny. You just want everyone to post threads of specific interest to your tastes, and that's possibly a little unrealistic?

PS I do think I'm funny... I can make people fall about laughing just by walking into a bar (ouch!)
(...NOTE TO SELF: sarcasm doesn't translate well in written form)
Thu 25/04/02 at 17:29
Regular
Nah, I'm refering to "Why X-Box will fail" posts.
Thu 25/04/02 at 17:27
Regular
"Instead of commenting on why everyone else but you is wrong, why not write about something you've thought about recently, or even something creative, fake interviews, stories, anything."

This aimed at me?

;-)
Thu 25/04/02 at 17:23
Regular
Not entertaining, or informative. Entertaining is the really important word here. One line can be entertaining, seventy pages can be entertaining. However, this forum seems to be filled with legions of people who think they're funny. True, most of them are notables, but there seems to be a really big problem with topics that make nobody smile, and are only full of biased bullcrap that nobody has any intention of bothering with.

Instead of commenting on why everyone else but you is wrong, why not write about something you've thought about recently, or even something creative, fake interviews, stories, anything.

Spam is something that nobody will want to waste their time reading, or reply to. Other than the obvious reasons.

If you have a different view, I'll love to hear it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.