GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My definition of spam"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/04/02 at 17:23
Regular
Not entertaining, or informative. Entertaining is the really important word here. One line can be entertaining, seventy pages can be entertaining. However, this forum seems to be filled with legions of people who think they're funny. True, most of them are notables, but there seems to be a really big problem with topics that make nobody smile, and are only full of biased bullcrap that nobody has any intention of bothering with.

Instead of commenting on why everyone else but you is wrong, why not write about something you've thought about recently, or even something creative, fake interviews, stories, anything.

Spam is something that nobody will want to waste their time reading, or reply to. Other than the obvious reasons.

If you have a different view, I'll love to hear it.
Fri 26/04/02 at 02:19
Well my pet grievance is people not responding to good posts, but I've posted what I hope is an antithesis to your melancholy, Grix, check it out.
Fri 26/04/02 at 00:40
Regular
"95% organic"
Hooray... A new era has begun! let's all delight in the under-rated joys of spam.
So here's something suitably random that sums up everything splendid about pointlessness(providing you've got speakers):

http://myboringlife.com/i_go/weeeeeee.html

Bwaaaah ha ha ha!
Thu 25/04/02 at 20:39
Regular
Spam doesn't really annoy me anymore. It's just *ironically, considering this actual topic that I wrote* the people that complain about spam... all. the. damn. time.

Give it a rest guys. If you don't like it, think it's boring, don't respond. Snuggly was right. The more we start shouting, the more tense this forum will get, if possible.

I'm just going to stay here, kick my feet up a little, listen to music and relax.
Thu 25/04/02 at 20:38
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Personally, I'd be happy if people stopped making topics just for the sake of it. Every time something notable happens, such as a price drop, we get about ten different topics discussing it. Why? Isn't one enough? None of the nine copies ever seem to add anything... or anything that couldn't have gone in the original thread.

It seems things have shifted from 'one thread per topic' to 'One thread per new point raised in any area, if that'.

An obsession with 'being the one who started the topic', or something? Fear that nobody will read what you've written if you don't put it in a new thread?
Thu 25/04/02 at 20:29
Regular
"not dead"
By the way, Edgy, I did happen to read both of those posts, just wasn't in a position to be able to reply. For what it's worth I prefered the Harold Bishop one to the War of the Worlds one.

This is why I reckon we need counters on our posts, to see how many people have clicked on them.

I mean, I wrote a great post in the movies, music and books forum last week, one I really enjoyed writing, and thought people would enjoy reading, but it only got one reply.

I don't know if this means only one person read it, or if there was just no need for a response.

The post was titled "Action Hero Application Form".

But what is spam?

Personally I see the quoting of whole messages, and adding very little to be a bigger crime than writing something you might see as interesting.

How is a newbie to know that a console wars post won't be welcomed? It's usually spam that follows this, and isn't the newbies fault. All of the "not another console wars topic2 posts are pointless. But I don't think a bit of recognition for a decent post is spam, even though it's a short message.

Anyway, I've got another busy evening, and shouldn't really be here.
Thu 25/04/02 at 20:02
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
SPAM!!!1222

God I'm funneh :)

Smile dammit.
Thu 25/04/02 at 20:01
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:

> Instead of commenting on why everyone else but you is wrong, why not
> write about something you've thought about recently, or even something
> creative, fake interviews, stories, anything.
>
> Spam is something that nobody will want to waste their time reading,
> or reply to. Other than the obvious reasons.
>
> If you have a different view, I'll love to hear it.

I agree, I did a Fake interview/neighbours episode combined, and I'm one game happier :)

Though I wish someone other than Dark Mark read that topic I did called "The Eve of the War" which is a short story I typed...
Thu 25/04/02 at 19:46
Regular
"everyone says it"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Nah, I'm refering to "Why X-Box will fail" posts.

*gets stopped in his tracks*
Thu 25/04/02 at 19:34
Regular
i have noticed though that since i joined the amount of "console war" topics have reduced and the one or two which do pop up now and again, generally dont get many replies or simply get ignored.
Thu 25/04/02 at 19:27
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Oh yeah, and complaining about spam seems to create more spam than the
> actual spam. Yes.

that is true.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.