GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bring Back Dominic Diamond!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/04/02 at 11:48
Regular
Well... maybe not Dominic Diamond, but at least bring back that classic Computer-based TV show "GamesMaster".

When GamesMaster started out it was quite a ground breaking show. It included reviews, previews, gaming challenges, celebrity appearences and even cheats. (Most of which i seem to remember were ALWAYS for Zelda!)
Nowadays there are no mainstream shows which offer the same thing.

I believe that if a terrestrial channel bought back a similar show it would be a massive hit. I can just imagine it... It would contain all of the latest reviews and most exclusive previews. These could actually turn out to be more accurate and up-to-date that magazine reviews and previews because the tv show would be on weekly whilst most computer magazines are released on a monthly basis.

Next up you would have the obligatory pop group in for some multiplayer action. Perhaps 'Blue' would fight it out on Halo? Better still, the show could host a huge 16 player Halo mass-tournament, which could take place between then Man Utd squad. The only obvious problems here is that Beckham might not want to risk breaking a nail and Roy keane may struggle to keep the violence on the screen! The possibilities are endless.

The show would also, as it used to, give us some much needed hints and tips for our favourite games. After all, its much easier to show you how to get that secret area on Tony Hawk 3 on a tv screen rather than from still shots in a magazine.

There are so many other fantastic gaming challenges which could be undertaken with todays next-generation games, such as completing missions on GTA3, multiplayer races on Jet Set Radio Future, games of 'tag' on Tony Hawk 3 or even the classic soccer challenges on games like Pro-Evolution Soccer.

Okay, so i can see why the show originally got axed. After a certain point it all got a bit weird. The presenter changer and for some reason the show was set in heaven. (What was that all about!?) But if the show came back, albeit with a better set, i'm confident it could be a hit. The show used to be on at 6 or 6.30. I'm sure Channel 4 or BBC2 or even SkyOne could screen a games show. These channels cant say theres no room for it... BBC2 show Simpsons ALL the time, (I love the show but they seem to play the same episodes over and over) C4 play Hollyoaks or repeated Friends episodes and SkyOne screen Stargate SG-1 or Star Trek Voyager!

So i say BRING BACK GAMESMASTER!

Which leaves just one issue; who would be the presenter of the show? My vote would have to lie with the main man: Craig Charles!

What do you lot think? Would you all like to see a modern, gamesmaster-type show... and who would be a good presenter?

Thanks for reading.
Thu 25/04/02 at 16:29
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Patrick Moore was in it because he is GamesMaster. Honestly, some people...
Thu 25/04/02 at 16:22
Regular
"95% organic"
Its true, we all deserve more games programmes on the telly-box. Both Gamesmaster and Thumb Bandits were a bit annoying, but at least there was something. And frankly, the time is right for a Pro Evo tournament between certain Man U players with broken feet... they could broadcast it on the Man United TV channel!

As for Dominic Diamond, I heard he's become a true media scoundrel writing 'speculative' articles for the Sun or the Star or some such. And as for the Gamesmaster... why on earth was Sir Patrick Moore involved? very peculiar.
Thu 25/04/02 at 12:35
Regular
"Tat Twam Asi"
No Dont!
Thu 25/04/02 at 12:22
Regular
"cant think of one.."
Franny wrote:
> Isn't Dom now trying his luck with theatre or something?

I dunno, i know he has some cr*p column in the Daily Star or mirror or something... and i bet he does panto!!!!
Thu 25/04/02 at 12:17
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Gamesmaster was BRILLIANT!

Far better than any of these stupid computer games programs they put on nowadays!

:)
Thu 25/04/02 at 12:10
Isn't Dom now trying his luck with theatre or something?
Thu 25/04/02 at 12:05
"Darkness, always"
do you remember how old you were when you started watching GamesMaster?

do you then realise why you probably wouldn't watch it if it were on TV now?

I remember the likes of GamesMaster, and all those other ones, such as the one who's name I can't remember, but they had that woman with the disasterous ssssspeech impediment and kept insisting on calling the SNES SssNESsss when it would have been far more pleasant for the viewing public if she'd just called it the Famicom like the japanese did.

These shows worked because of the market for consoles at the time. PCs weren't really games machines, and the internet was still a military project for use as an information safeguard against nuclear holocaust. These days, if you want information on a game, you don't need to bother waiting for a specific time to watch some speech impeded blonde bird to give her long-winded and heavilly biased review of a game, you just log on to the internet and go to any number of unofficial review sites, and collate the opinions of dozens of non (or at least less) biased players.

Further, the show would have to be horribly long, to cover all formats. Back then, what did GamesMaster have on its plate? SNES, Mega Drive, Game Boy, Amiga. Now what would it have? PC, PSONE, PS2, GB Adv, Game Cube, X-BOX and probably any number of others i'm no longer in the loop about. They would have to have coverage of the internet, to compliment their PC knowledge, DVD reviews to compliment pretty much all formats bar Nintendo, and God knows what else.

TV is no place for the games market anymore, except for straight up advertising. Even the last to fall, such as "Movies Games and Videos", was pretty much at it's end just movies, movies and movies.

The other fatal flaw in the idea is that the vast majority of the ideal targetted viewers are less pre-disposed to television than my generation was at the same age. Why do you need TV, when you can interact with the internet?

If GamesMaster were ever to rise again, it would be on the internet. The days of Dominic Diamond are, thankfully, well behind us.

The king is dead, long live the king
Thu 25/04/02 at 11:48
Regular
"cant think of one.."
Well... maybe not Dominic Diamond, but at least bring back that classic Computer-based TV show "GamesMaster".

When GamesMaster started out it was quite a ground breaking show. It included reviews, previews, gaming challenges, celebrity appearences and even cheats. (Most of which i seem to remember were ALWAYS for Zelda!)
Nowadays there are no mainstream shows which offer the same thing.

I believe that if a terrestrial channel bought back a similar show it would be a massive hit. I can just imagine it... It would contain all of the latest reviews and most exclusive previews. These could actually turn out to be more accurate and up-to-date that magazine reviews and previews because the tv show would be on weekly whilst most computer magazines are released on a monthly basis.

Next up you would have the obligatory pop group in for some multiplayer action. Perhaps 'Blue' would fight it out on Halo? Better still, the show could host a huge 16 player Halo mass-tournament, which could take place between then Man Utd squad. The only obvious problems here is that Beckham might not want to risk breaking a nail and Roy keane may struggle to keep the violence on the screen! The possibilities are endless.

The show would also, as it used to, give us some much needed hints and tips for our favourite games. After all, its much easier to show you how to get that secret area on Tony Hawk 3 on a tv screen rather than from still shots in a magazine.

There are so many other fantastic gaming challenges which could be undertaken with todays next-generation games, such as completing missions on GTA3, multiplayer races on Jet Set Radio Future, games of 'tag' on Tony Hawk 3 or even the classic soccer challenges on games like Pro-Evolution Soccer.

Okay, so i can see why the show originally got axed. After a certain point it all got a bit weird. The presenter changer and for some reason the show was set in heaven. (What was that all about!?) But if the show came back, albeit with a better set, i'm confident it could be a hit. The show used to be on at 6 or 6.30. I'm sure Channel 4 or BBC2 or even SkyOne could screen a games show. These channels cant say theres no room for it... BBC2 show Simpsons ALL the time, (I love the show but they seem to play the same episodes over and over) C4 play Hollyoaks or repeated Friends episodes and SkyOne screen Stargate SG-1 or Star Trek Voyager!

So i say BRING BACK GAMESMASTER!

Which leaves just one issue; who would be the presenter of the show? My vote would have to lie with the main man: Craig Charles!

What do you lot think? Would you all like to see a modern, gamesmaster-type show... and who would be a good presenter?

Thanks for reading.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.